Down Home Southern U.S.A. Meal

ThePunPun

.....talk about food....... who iz talkin bout food??? , what u say???? ... Ok I will........

I dun been good for a while and have kept my mouf shut, but that gives a person too much time to think. Of course I have been thinking about the Fun of Food.

I have been thinking for some time now about having a ' Good Ole Southern Style Stomach Stuffin Type of Meal'.

I would like you out there to tell me if you would be interested in such a meal before I go through the program of putting more than 3 just for myself to eat.

I would like to set aside a day in the next couple of weeks to have a Down South USA Style meal like :

Southern Prepared Ham Hocks, Mashed Potatoes smothered in gravy, Buttered and Seasoned Cabbage, Special recipe Black-eyed Peas, an ear of Steamy Buttered Corn on the Cob, and maybe even a hunk of Homemade Corn Bread. That would leave just a little room for desert .

I would really like to do this for more than just myself, so if anyone else would have some interest, I would appreciate some response.

Oh just to make things clear, this is not the health food Pun Pun. Its The Pun Pun on the River. The one not worried about clogged arteries and such minor details. Remember its the quality of yo life, not the quantity, thats important......until we get some pains you understand...

I'd like to heah frm Y'all

Much appreciated....

Gonzo

Lima beans -- real, honest-to-God big, fresh lima beans. Or maybe frozen limas. Big, Fordhook Limas. Not those whimpy little "baby" limas. I've tried, really tried, to make those dried lima beans work. Nothing else seems to be available here. But, I've given up -- they take too long to cook, with Hubby giving reports every 15 minutes from our electric meter. When they're finally done, they just don't have the flavor of fresh or flash-frozen lima beans. Why don't they grown them here -- the climate seems perfect for limas? If they can turn out good okra, then why not good, fresh lima beans?

Lima beans -- real, honest-to-God big, fresh lima beans. Or maybe frozen limas. Big, Fordhook Limas. Not those whimpy little "baby" limas. I've tried, really tried, to make those dried lima beans work. Nothing else seems to be available here. But, I've given up -- they take too long to cook, with Hubby giving reports every 15 minutes from our electric meter. When they're finally done, they just don't have the flavor of fresh or flash-frozen lima beans. Why don't they grown them here -- the climate seems perfect for limas? If they can turn out good okra, then why not good, fresh lima beans?

Nancy....... you a yankee ????

Lima Beans ..... do you mean 'Butter Beans" as they are called on the other side of the line.....

I do know what you mean though.... though I think the small younger ones are usually more tender and make better bean dishes.

Now the kind you are mentioning , the larger, I like to use in making a thicker Ham & Bean soup with the hock.

G

yup, I'm a Yankee, grew up in Ohio. Did you know that the name of the town Lima, Ohio is pronounced like the beans, not the city in Peru? I've had the southern butter-beans and frankly I find them overcooked compared to the way my family would fix lima beans with corn. I saw broad beans in the freezer section of Rim Ping once and got all excited thinking they were maybe the European name for lima beans. Bought them and then did the internet search to learn about 'em after I got them home. They aren't a thing like lima beans, but I did have fun fixing some Greek and Middle Eastern dishes with them.

I figured if you found a source for fresh or flash frozen lima beans to overcook into Southern butter beans, then maybe I could get some uncooked ones to take home for Ohio-style lima beans.

You guys should try my cheese grits with butter and ham. Along with that an artery clogging ham and cheese omelet. Add Jimmy Dean sausage and some smoked bacon, and you're in pig heaven! hahaha

When I see the grits at Rimping, I usually buy about 6 or 7 boxes. You never know when the next batch of grits will be in that store.

You guys should try my cheese grits with butter and ham. Along with that an artery clogging ham and cheese omelet. Add Jimmy Dean sausage and some smoked bacon, and you're in pig heaven! hahaha

When I see the grits at Rimping, I usually buy about 6 or 7 boxes. You never know when the next batch of grits will be in that store.

I love southern food but grits is one thing I could never stand. You can have my share.:bah:

Well I for one would be willing to eat the grits just to get to the rest of the goodies.

Richard..... in which Rimping did you find the grits??? and do come by when you get a chance and try our "Johnny Dean " Sausage patties [homemade] and the great smoked bacon.

Gonzo

Sometimes I think about going back to Threadgills in Austin Texas just for the vegetable plate....wtih cornbread of cours.

VEGETABLES

RED BEANS AND RICE

STEAMED RICE

SPANISH RICE

GREEN BEANS

SWEET POTATO FRIES

BLACK-EYED PEAS

SAN ANTONIO SQUASH

STEAMED BROCCOLI

MASHED POTATOES (with gravy)

MACARONI AND CHEESE

CORN-OFF-THE-COB

OLD SOUTH BUTTER BEANS

BLACK BEANS

BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE

STEWED OKRA & TOMATOES

GARLIC CHEESE GRITS

TURNIP GREENS

COLLARD GREENS

BUTTERED CARROTS

SPINACH CASSEROLE

YELLOW SQUASH

STEAMED ASPARAGUS

SCALLOPED POTATOES

FRIED OKRA

FRENCH FRIES

TEXAS BLACK-EYED PEA CAVIAR

COLE SLAW

DINNER SALAD

Edited by ricklev

Sometimes I think about going back to Threadgills in Austin Texas just for the vegetable plate....wtih cornbread of cours.

VEGETABLES

RED BEANS AND RICE

STEAMED RICE

SPANISH RICE

GREEN BEANS

SWEET POTATO FRIES

BLACK-EYED PEAS

SAN ANTONIO SQUASH

STEAMED BROCCOLI

MASHED POTATOES (with gravy)

MACARONI AND CHEESE

CORN-OFF-THE-COB

OLD SOUTH BUTTER BEANS

BLACK BEANS

BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE

STEWED OKRA & TOMATOES

GARLIC CHEESE GRITS

TURNIP GREENS

COLLARD GREENS

BUTTERED CARROTS

SPINACH CASSEROLE

YELLOW SQUASH

STEAMED ASPARAGUS

SCALLOPED POTATOES

FRIED OKRA

FRENCH FRIES

TEXAS BLACK-EYED PEA CAVIAR

COLE SLAW

DINNER SALAD

Now your talking.:D GF you could open up a hole new vegetarian restaurant just on this alone.:D

Bangok used to have great soul food. I forget the name of the bar that used to be on lower sukemvit....was actually a small single story house. Used to have great food. I ate there a lot in my earlier time here. It hade a couple of georgeous barmaids too.

Edited by harrry

Bangok used to have great soul food. I forget the name of the bar that used to be on lower sukemvit....was actually a small single story house. Used to have great food. I ate there a lot in my earlier time here. It hade a couple of georgeous barmaids too.

Ah yes soul food.:D

lunch-restaurant-for-sale.jpg

always up for a good meal. love my greens and cajun too! new in town and am a foodie (and was chef/owner of a restaurant in USA) so let's do some eatin'

always up for a good meal. love my greens and cajun too! new in town and am a foodie (and was chef/owner of a restaurant in USA) so let's do some eatin'

Welcome junglechef. You have definitely come to the right place. Eating is the number one activity in these parts. We are looking forward to your feed back.:welcomeani:

Welcome junglechef. You have definitely come to the right place. Eating is the number one activity in these parts. We are looking forward to your feed back.:welcomeani:

Welcome aboard Junglechef....good to have some new blood and food input into the number 1 forum in LOS

Gonzo