Australian Red Shirt Conor David Purcell Wants To Return To Thailand

webfact

Aussie protester claims he was beaten in Thai prison

Erik Jensen

An Australian man deported from Thailand after supporting anti-government Red Shirt protesters says he was beaten in prison and feared the Thai government would plant drugs on him.

Conor Purcell arrived in Sydney this morning after more than three months in prison.

He said he intended to return to Thailand but was critical of the support he had received from the Australian government while in prison.

"I'm going to go through the FOI Act to find out what exactly was happening."

He said he was beaten by seven other prisoners in an "ordered assault" and denied medical attention for almost two weeks afterwards.

After the attack he could not walk and had blood in his urine, he said.

He said he was kept in a cell with almost 40 prisoners, some convicted murderers awaiting appeal.

"On the second day, they had seven criminals beat the living shit out of me," he said.

"It was the most cowardly assault you could imagine. They went crazy on my spine, my back, my ribs, my kidneys.

"They [the Thai government] could plant whatever they wanted on me."

Mr Purcell - who accepted political charges against him but did not plead guilty - said he did not know a lot about Thai politics before he became involved with the Red Shirt but felt compelled to help after seeing the violence at protests in April.

"I had to speak out against what I'd seen ... what I saw on April 10 was absolutely horrendous. Compared to the Bloody Sunday massacre [in Northern Ireland] this was way worse, this was incredible," he said.

"I am almost certain they will prevent me from returning. I will do whatever I can ... and then try to go back to Thailand."

Mr Purcell was met by a group of about 15 supporters from Thai Red Australia, carrying banners that called him a hero and welcomed him home.

"Welcome home Conor Purcell," read one poster. And, on the reverse, referring to Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva: "Abhisit is a tyrant. We don't want murderer PM. We don't want mafia ruler government in Thailand."

source: http://www.smh.com.au/world/aussie-protester-claims-he-was-beaten-in-thai-prison-20100908-150jl.html

THE SYDNEY MORNING HERALD

-- 2010-09-08

footer_n.gif

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie Red Shirt Returns Home Professing Thai Prison Hell

gallery_327_1086_11171.jpg

An Australian man deported from Thailand over his involvement with the April/May anti-government Red Shirt protests has explained how he was beaten while in prison and feared the Thai government would plant drugs in his possession.

Thailand, the 8th of September 2010: Conor Purcell arrived in Sydney on Wednesday morning after spending more than three months in a Thai prison over his involvement in the recent anti-government Red Shirt protests in Bangkok.

Despite complaining that he was brutally beaten in an ‘ordered assault’ while in prison and constantly fearing for his life and safety, Purcell stated that he intended to return to Thailand. He also voiced his criticism of the Australian government at their lack of support, stating, “I’m going to go through the FOI Act to find out what exactly was happening.”

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

-- 2010-09-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Mr Purcell - who accepted political charges against him but did not plead guilty - said he did not know a lot about Thai politics before he became involved with the Red Shirt but felt compelled to help after seeing the violence at protests in April.

It is obvious that he still does not understand Thai politics.

• Like 1

What an idiot, or does he have mental health issues? Not content with alleging a fake consipracy against the government of Thailand (they "could have" planted drugs, but they didn't did they?) he now wants to take on the Australian government.

At least the other Red Shirt British gentleman has had the decency to shut his mouth about it once he was deported.

• Like 2

What an idiot, or does he have mental health issues? Not content with alleging a fake consipracy against the government of Thailand (they "could have" planted drugs, but they didn't did they?) he now wants to take on the Australian government.

At least the other Red Shirt British gentleman has had the decency to shut his mouth about it once he was deported.

But you must remember he is of Irish descent. :rolleyes:

Keep your racist remarks to yourself

<P>Great that he get the tasted of thai prison and he still do not repent after being released and send back home.<BR>This type of person need a better lesson then in Jail coz he is interferring thai internal politics which foreigners <BR>shouldn't involved. Everybody are the same when you goes to other countries you need to abide their rules and<BR>regulations set by each country. Why mess up yourself with all these dirty politics which doesn't involve yourself.<BR>Hope the Thai Immigration will banned him to enter thailand forever. It does make us (Australian) like a fool and <BR>disgrace when coming to BKK for holiday.</P>

Well, I'll probably be dragged through the streets for this, but I think what he did was fairly brave.

They say there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, but this guy is way over on the stupid side. By his own admission he knows nothing about Thai politics but decided to jump in head first and shoot his mouth off about it in public in the middle of a clearly dangerous and volatile situation. Then he expects the Australian embassy to bail him out of the consequences of his ill-considered actions? What a goof! Maybe on his next adventure he should go to Iran and join anti-government protesters there, or how about Burma? Might be an education for him as he obviously needs it, as does anyone who actually thinks Abhisit is anything remotely close to a "tyrant".

• Like 2

Keep your racist remarks to yourself

Stating the mans ethnicity is hardly a racist comment. And he himself refers to the bloody Sunday massacre in Ireland! As far as I'm concerned he is Irish by birth with Australian citizenship and WRONGLY involved himself in the politics of a third country. &lt;deleted&gt; was he doing there on April 10 to get shot by rubber bullets anyway! Unfortunately this moron will now make appearances on Australian TV and in magazines and get handsomely paid for his trouble. I can think of easier ways to make a quid!

The guy claims he was beaten on orders in Thai prison, but if he behaved in prison the way he behaved in public I expect the beating (if given) was not ordered but deserved.

• Like 2

Well, according to http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2487 (see #11), he wouldn't be allowed back in anyway. He just loves being in the limelight I think.

And he didn't know much about Thai politics before he joined the yellow shirts a couple of years earlier. Pics elsewhere on TV of him with yellow headband in airport hong narm. Desperate for his sip ha natee.

"Can't figure out if he is a drama queen, dumb arse, or douch bag"

Hat trick.

It's hilariously funny that so many people don't think he should get involved in the politics of another country. But hang on a minute. The USA, UK and many other countries are only too happy to stick their nose into the affairs of almost any country they disagree with. Not only that but they are happy to allow hundreds of thousands of civilians to be killed. But that's ok, it's only colleateral damage. There seem to be plenty of double standards here. I don't hear you all saying how wrong it is to be involved in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

It is obvious that he still does not understand Thai politics.

Yes he's probably thinking why didnt i get locked up for 3 month and deported after being pictured protesting with the Yellow shirts the other year, maybe its the blatant double standards that he doesnt understand.

Link to him as a yellow -

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8454/img6593f.jpg

Edited by Englander

Mr. Purcell go back to Australia and involve yourself of politics there! Don't come back. You are not welcome here by the Thais and us foreigners. You give us a bad name. :annoyed:

We have already a bad name over here.Read the Pattaya post.Everyday bullshit with farangs.ermm.gif