Honda Cr-V (I-Vtec) Gas Conversion, Reviews And Advise Please.

Carlosm

I've got a Honda CR-V i-vtec model and am thinking about getting it converted to gas as its only 8.5 baht/liter. But, the only one i've ever seen or driven with the conversion seemed sluggish to say the least. As i dont know if it was like this before the conversion i'd like some reviews from those that have had it done and how it effected their performance and distance per liter of fuel. I've read that its around about a 10-15% drop in power output but would be interested to know if after its done how much you really notice it.

Also, how much does it cost. I'm thinking about getting the 'doughnut' shaped one that fits under the mat in the back as its out of site and dont want to be unaware when they offer me the 'farang' price first :whistling: .

Plus, anyone know where to get it done in either.... north end of Bangkok (Rangsit area), Saraburi, Lopburi or Phetchabun as i live out in the sticks.

Thanks in advance, C.

Honda dual cam 4 valve 2000cc, expect valves burned within 60-100k km on this engine. New single cam 2000cc I have no experience

if its a 2000cc awd its sluggish on petrol (used to have one), and expect 10-15% less power on LPG on this engine

all above on LPG, thats 14-15 baht litres.

I ahev not seen doughnut tanks in LOS

CNG at 8,50 baht/kg you need a tank taking half your trunk to cover 200km, and premature damages to this engine occurs sooner than on LPG

Some car manufactorers have enines designed/modified to run CNG. Toyota Altis comes with 2 different 1600cc engines, one can run LPG/CNG with new car warranty for 100.000km, one can run petrol/gasohol only with 100.000km warranty.

My sister in law had it done an an Toyota Altis and you don't notice the performance loss so much, but she had an accident and borrowed our spare Yaris, which I think is pretty cheap to drive and said it was way more expensive than her car, ..... So she has a much more economical, larger ect. car and seemed even happier for doing it after she borrowed the Yaris ! lol

• Like 1

My sister in law had it done an an Toyota Altis and you don't notice the performance loss so much, but she had an accident and borrowed our spare Yaris, which I think is pretty cheap to drive and said it was way more expensive than her car, ..... So she has a much more economical, larger ect. car and seemed even happier for doing it after she borrowed the Yaris ! lol

CNG or LPG, 1600,1800 or 2000cc?

CNG or LPG, 1600,1800 or 2000cc?

Its a 2000cc model and i'm looking at LPG though either will do.

I asked at honda about a cng conversion on my 2.0 civic (same engine as the older crv). He just said "kreung pung" - or damaged engine. That kinda put me off. He said the engine repairs would be rather costly. Now I'd seriously consider a new fiesta!

Edited by culicine

I asked at honda about a cng conversion on my 2.0 civic (same engine as the older crv). He just said "kreung pung" - or damaged engine. That kinda put me off. He said the engine repairs would be rather costly. Now I'd seriously consider a new fiesta!

Well since it cant handle LPG very well, it sure cant handle the even higher combustion temp of CNG.

Accord comes with the new single cam 2000cc, but I believe CRV and Civic still uses the old twincam. Its an excellent engine coming with outputs from 150 to over 200 hp NA, but its built purely for petrol/gasohol, no LPG or CNG

• 10 months later...

What a coincidence. This thread pops up today.

One of the operators at work has a CR-V. I was secretly thinking, "How can he afford the petrol on a CR-V?" I asked him. He told me he converted it to LPG 3 years ago at, I think he said, "C-house" in Rayong for 20,000 Baht. He has had no problems.

One of the operators at work has a CR-V. I was secretly thinking, "How can he afford the petrol on a CR-V?" I asked him. He told me he converted it to LPG 3 years ago at, I think he said, "C-house" in Rayong for 20,000 Baht. He has had no problems.

thank you for your reply!

i would appreciate to know if your workmate has the 2.0 or 2.4l engine

My brother-in-law has a crv 2.0 ivtec (2003 model I think).He's used lpg for about 60K kms with no problems. He also has a flash lube kit fitted. Well tuned and advanced lpg systems should only lose 5% in performance - or so I've been told.

That 20K is very cheap for an lpg system. Top model lpg systems run close to 40K baht e.g. AC stag premium. Those systems can be finely tuned and run almost as good as on petrol.

thank you for your reply!

i would appreciate to know if your workmate has the 2.0 or 2.4l engine

Yesterday was the first time I had ever spoken to him! I'm not even sure where his workstation is. He's some guy from Surin. If I get the chance, I'll find out more. I'd put money on it being the 2.0l engine though.

Well since it cant handle LPG very well, it sure cant handle the even higher combustion temp of CNG.

Accord comes with the new single cam 2000cc, but I believe CRV and Civic still uses the old twincam. Its an excellent engine coming with outputs from 150 to over 200 hp NA, but its built purely for petrol/gasohol, no LPG or CNG

just emailed with my friend back home, he is still doing LPG convertions.

None of the 60 taxis with 2,0 engine survived more than 100k km (1-2 years use) with LPG. all burned valves, some burned head seats, some burned pistons

None of the 60 taxis with 2,0 engine survived more than 100k km (1-2 years use) with LPG. all burned valves, some burned head seats, some burned pistons

that does not sound good :(

I wonder if the 2.4l engine will be better for modification, as compression is lower than the 2.0l

that does not sound good :(

I wonder if the 2.4l engine will be better for modification, as compression is lower than the 2.0l

Honda Scandinavia gave up on LPG after this trial, and pushed Honda Japan to get the 2,2 diesel/auto/awd presently taking 70% of the sales

High compression is not a problem with LPG, on the contrary LPG is very high octane, the higher combustion temp is the major problem, lack of benzene lubrication is the minor problem

• 1 month later...

Guy near me has had the 'doughnut' tank fitted in his CRV. Cost 38,000 Baht. The conversion's start at around 10,000 Baht. You pay your money ................................................ I'm looking to get my 2.7 Fortuner converted. A tank to be placed where the spare wheel currently is. Has anyone got any info regarding this. Thanks.

Edited by sinbin

• 2 weeks later...

Guy near me has had the 'doughnut' tank fitted in his CRV. Cost 38,000 Baht. The conversion's start at around 10,000 Baht. You pay your money ................................................ I'm looking to get my 2.7 Fortuner converted. A tank to be placed where the spare wheel currently is. Has anyone got any info regarding this. Thanks.

It would be interesting to know where your neighbour got it done and what is his experience.

I can only add my Friend has had the conversion for a year, loves the CRV, and is getting a new one,without gas, never again she says.Wont wait all day behind trucks at the pumps.So shes carted the tank about for nowt, the kids are too spoilt to bother either.So all thet money wasted.

Fortuna can use an ordinary cylinder tank in sparewheel position. Engine seem to do ok for +200k km on both LPG and CNG

• 5 months later...

Finally I made up the decision and installed LPG in my CR-V, using a socalled donut tank in the hollow for spare wheel.

The system switches automatically between 91 and LPG, I was not able to recognize it, just can see it at the display.

Lets see if Murphey's law will occur towards presence of a spare wheel.