Visa Extension Or Visa Run

Hello, this is my first time doing this so I'm a bit confused. I'm on a 60 day tourist visa that will expire soon. Should I simply go to immigration and extend my visa for 30 days or do a visa run to Burma (in Chiagmai now). Sorry for the basic question.

The normal way is to go to immigration, fill out a TM.7, pay 1,900 baht and obtain a 30 day extension of stay. You have already used the visa so if you go to the border what you get is a 30 day entry stamp for entry without visa (if you have a passport from one of the countries allowed this option).

Dont forget the relevant photcopies of the visa page and "photo page" of your passport and you/ll need a passport photo (just to save you 2 trips). When you fill in the extension application put "tourism" down as the reason for the extension.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Hello, this is my first time doing this so I'm a bit confused. I'm on a 60 day tourist visa that will expire soon. Should I simply go to immigration and extend my visa for 30 days or do a visa run to Burma (in Chiagmai now). Sorry for the basic question.

Do you hold a 6 month validity double entry tourist visa? If so, extend it at immigration after 60 days. Then 30 days later, do a border crossing and obtain a further 60 day stamp. When this expires, extend it again (for 30 days) at immigration. This way you can stay legally in Thailand for a total of 180 days.

If your just going to stay 30 more days and then leave Thailand I would pay the 1900 baht and get the extension. If you plan to stay a few months longer I would get a new visa.

I like going to Laos for my visa. The Thai embassy in Vientian, the capital, is right across the border from Thailand.

From Bangkok, I usually take 2nd class train with air conditioner over night to Nong Khai. Cost is about 700 baht one way.

Then you need a Laos visa to get into Laos. I think its about 1500 baht.

I usually stop at a visa service and let them walk my paperwork through the border at Lao Immagration. I also get them to negotiate a taxi from the border of Lao Immagration to Vietnaine (25km). that usually cost about 200 baht.

To apply for a Thai visa you have to get to the embassy in the morning. The afternoons are only for picking up your visa.

If you are good with reading maps, you can take your chances and rent a motorcycle in Vietnatine for about 200 baht. Then see if you can find the Thai embassy on your own.

If not, use a tuk tuk service. Or, you can ask your taxi driver who got you to the border to take you to the embassy the next day.

When you get to the embassy, there will be people out there asking you if you have your application done. Ignore these people.

Go past the guard shack and follow the sidewalk to the left. There will be some chairs and 2 embassy officials processing applications in a covered outdoor office. Ask them for the application. Fill out the application and give it back to the embassy personnel.

After a certian number of applications are processed, they will call everyone inside to pay for their visa. Give them 1000 baht and they will give you a reciept and tell you to come back the next afternoon.

Return the following afternoon to the place where you filled out the application, give them the reciept, and they will give you your passport back with your new Thai visa.

Then finish your stay in Laos, return to Thailand immagration, then continue on with your business in Thailand.

A few things to remember,

1. Thai embassy closed on the weekend. So if you go on a Friday, you still have to wait to Monday to fill out your visa application.

2. Carry pleanty of them tiny visa application photos with you. You will need them going into Laos and when you apply for your visa.

3. Book your train to Nong Khai a few days in advance because they might not have any seats avaliable the day you want to leave.

4. Food, alcohol, and such is sold on the train but at airport prices. It is ok to to take beer, juice, soft drinks, and food on the train with you.

Good luck!