What'S The Cheapest Place To Get A 90-Day Non-O For Us North Thailanders? Laos?

I'm on a 1-year Non-O visa volunteering with an NGO in the Northern region. Or at least I thought I was. Turns out the visa expired a few days ago. #{:content:}amp;@*

So now I'm looking for a place to head to to apply for a new 90-day Non-immigrant O visa. And I'm thinking that there's got to be a better way than the requisite trip to Penang, which is what the local expat crowd seems to do if they're needing a non-O visa.

So, what about Vientiane, Laos? I was there once a few years back. Decent town. Laid back atmosphere. Good people. But is the Thai Embassy still giving out Non-O visas? The embassy website mentions Tourist visas and Non-B's, but has no mention of Non-O's at all on their site. ThaiVisa doesn't have much mention of successful Non-O attempts in Laos. And although I've found a few blogs via Google of folks mentioning they went to Vientiane specifically for a non-O, none of the stories are very recent (i.e in the past year).

Anybody here tried for a Non-O in Laos in the past year or so?

Is it worth going and attempting if not many have tried this before?

Sounds like you have a Single entry Non-Immigrant-type-O visa which only grants you 90 days stay when you enter Thailand and that you do not have a work permit. You need to clarify this with the NGO you're working for - as this can be problematic.

To Get a 12 months multiple entries Non-O (if not married to a Thai) on the basis of visiting friends - the closest consulate is HULL, England.

from the Hull website (my italics and edits):

Any person ... who will be participating in volunteer work in Thailand ... should apply to this office for a ...Non-Immigrant Category "O" Visa before leaving the UK. This category of visa prohibits any paid employment

On the Application Form for "Evidence substantiating purpose of visit" write in ... "VolunteerSponsor letter attached"...

(from sample letter on Hull website)

We hereby request the Royal Thai Consulate at Hull to issue a Non-ImmigrantCategory

"O" Single/ Multiple Entry Visa to _________________who is to visit Thailand as a

volunteer worker with this organisation.

This organisation confirms that it is acting as sponsor for this applicant....

Edited by jazzbo

Would also like to know where to get a 90 day Non-Immigrant '0' Visa in the area..

Not sure if it is true but was talking to a old guy he said he went last month to the Embassy in Cambodia, the 90 day Non-Immigrant '0' Visa was 2,300 baht. ??

Can not find anything on any Thai Embassy websites showing the single 90 day Non-Immigrant '0' Visa, only the yearly retirement Visa + proof of 800k in the bank.

• Like 1

First check your visa, does is say multiple or single. It might be that you have a multiple non-O and that your 90 day permission simply if finished, meaning you have to leave and re-enter Thailand again.

Not many reports about applying for a non-O based on volunteering in the region. The big question might be if you applied for a work permit already and if the organisation you volunteer with is well known or not. It might be a god idea to not only have a letter from the organisation, but also have the organisation send an email about your application to the consulate, asking to them to help you with your visa.

My non-O visa is definitely expired. And Hull is a long, long way from here. :-)

I'm just wondering where the cheapest and quickest place to get a fresh single entry 90-day Non-O is. If I needed a 1-year Non-O I'd likely head to Auz to give the Perth consulate a try before they close. They've been giving 1-years pretty freely in the past.

But all I need is a 90-day, as I will apply for a work permit as soon as I get the non-O in my passport.

Any ideas what the *closest* and *cheapest* place would be? Laos seems like the closest. And travel costs to get there would be the cheapest. But If I show up in Vientiane and they won't give me a non-O, I'm gonna feel like a complete moron.

My non-O visa is definitely expired. And Hull is a long, long way from here. :-)

I'm just wondering where the cheapest and quickest place to get a fresh single entry 90-day Non-O is. If I needed a 1-year Non-O I'd likely head to Auz to give the Perth consulate a try before they close. They've been giving 1-years pretty freely in the past.

But all I need is a 90-day, as I will apply for a work permit as soon as I get the non-O in my passport.

Any ideas what the *closest* and *cheapest* place would be? Laos seems like the closest. And travel costs to get there would be the cheapest. But If I show up in Vientiane and they won't give me a non-O, I'm gonna feel like a complete moron.

If you intend to seek a work permit in the immediate future, then you could always start the WP application process in Thailand now.

Then with the right paperwork you are thus able to apply for single entry non immigrant B visa whilst in a neighboring SE Asia Country.

Edit <Just re-read you original post and noticed that you may well already be on an overstay; if so that blocks you from starting the process of applying for a Work Permit until you get a new visa>

Edited by digitalchromakey

:(

Your peroblem is that the 90 day visa you had is now expired. Therefore I don't think anyone in the local area (Thai consulates) will let you apply for another visa until the problem is cleared. Technically you are now in overstay and subject to a per day fine for that overstay. Attempting to leave the country will mean you have to pay that fine on departure.

What your NGO should have done (Obviously they didn't) was to apply for work permit for you during your first 90 days, while the visa was vailid. Are you working for a Thai based or loacl Thai NGO? They should have been familiar with the rules, but obviously they weren't.

Since you mentioned you looked at the website for the Thai embessy/consulate in Laos, call them at the telephone number(s) they have their. Find out if they will give out 90 day non O visas. If so, Vientianne would be the closest and cheapest trip for you. But I frankly think they will say no to a non O visa from Vientianne.

If you had the proper paperwork (governments everywhere love paperwork)you might be able to get a 90 day visa by being sponsored by the NGO. With that paperwork you might be able to get a visa through Vientianne.

Actually your biggest problem right now is that you are in overstay with your expired visa, and are incurring a fine every day you stay in Thailand. Also even voluteering for the NGO you must have a work permit, and without one according to the Thai government you are working ilegally now. Your NGO should have taken care of that during your 90 day visa (and either have applied for a new visa or an extension, if possible). But now it's too late.

If you exit Thailand, be prepared for a 500 baht a day fine for overstay. I think the maximum fine is 10,000 Baht...but that may be wrong. They will not let you depart without paying the fine. Sorry to tell you that, but the immigration will almost certainly charge you for the overstay Even if you could get another visa in Laos, you will have to pay that fine on departure from Thailand.

Frankly, it sounds to me like your NGO has left you "hanging in the wind" as the saying goes.

:annoyed:

Edited by IMA_FARANG