South American Gang Nabbed For Thefts In Bangkok

webfact

South American gang nabbed for thefts

By Wisit Chuanpipatpong

The Nation on Sunday

A group of seven Latin Americans were arrested yesterday for allegedly breaking into a Bangkok residence and stealing.

Police said a growing number of crimes were committed by foreign visitors.

Central Bureau of Investigation chief Pol Lt-General Thangai Prasajaksatru said that burglars were targeting rich people's houses in Bangkok.

The suspects were five Colombian men - Alexander Velandia Jose Rodriguez, 38, Hernandez Guntaro Luis Ferni, 32, Hernandez Guntaro Manuel Antinio, 35, Gian Ospina Rio, 40, Jimenez Fonseca Jonathan Alexander, 24 - plus a Mexican, Montana Lopez Antonio, 41; and a Peruvian woman, Gonzales Pacas Ada Mercedes, 31.

Police presented a safe box and other "evidence", including a Toyota Fortuner pick-up which the gang rented, "burglar tools", and several valuables worth Bt590,000.

The suspects were initially charged with breaking into people's homes at night and stealing, obstructing arrest, and possessing stolen items.

Police investigators found that the gang used the rented truck to get around while they broke into Bangkokians' homes and sent stolen valuables to accomplices abroad, while homeowners were away.

In the latest inquiry police arrested five gang members in Pattanakarn Soi 78 after they went to steal valuables from a Saraburi Calvary School teacher's home in Chollada Housing Estate in Khanna Yao district on Friday. Police then went to search a rented room in Rama 4, which was the gang's "hideout" and arrested two more suspects along with stolen items from a businessman's house in Samut Prakan's Bang Phi district.

Thangai said the gang admitted there were some 40 other members coming to Thailand to carry out thefts. He urged car rental companies and people in blocks with a large group of South American tenants to notify local police, as this group often gave faulty information about their addresses in Thailand to the Immigration Bureau.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-12

I am guessing they look like Thai's. I know when we were in Latin America...and South America for that matter...everybody thought my wife was a local! In Mexico, at a traffic check point, they did not believe us when she said she was Thai! Even after showing her US green card. They kept talking to her in Spanish! Same thing happened in Panama....

• Like 1

I am guessing they look like Thai's. I know when we were in Latin America...and South America for that matter...everybody thought my wife was a local! In Mexico, at a traffic check point, they did not believe us when she said she was Thai! Even after showing her US green card. They kept talking to her in Spanish! Same thing happened in Panama....

That's what I was thinking. Many South Americans could pass for Thai as long as they don't speak. Especially those with Indio background (indigenous peoples of the Americas).

Edited by Jingthing

That's what I was thinking. Many South Americans could pass for Thai as long as they don't speak. Especially those with Indio background (indigenous peoples of the Americas).

For sure the indigenous people. We went on a one day tour of a tribe in Panama. My wife said the chief looked just like her father...and he did! Even though he was wearing only a loincloth! :D

It would appear that another 'Hub' is being formulated in Thailand , but not by the ruling bodies this time around

The HUB OF FORIEGN THIEVES who seem to be collecting from far and wide , oh my goodness , what a predicment .

Yes this is getting rom bad to worse.... :ph34r:

The Channel 7 report is slightly different, including a car chase which ended with the Colombians turning round and ramming the chasing police car, crashing into a building, and then fighting with the cops to get away.

Unlikely this is going to do them many favours in the days to come. Video report: http://www.ch7.com/news/news_thailand_detail.aspx?c=2&p=5&d=104019 (in Thai)

For sure the indigenous people. We went on a one day tour of a tribe in Panama. My wife said the chief looked just like her father...and he did! Even though he was wearing only a loincloth! :D

I like the direction this discussion is GROWING. I am Latin myself, and believe me well travelled.

I shared some intense times with tribes in the Amazones; my wife is Thai, the beautiful Kmer Lao type. There is an amazing similarity in the looks and the energy both folks have.

Yes in Mexico and North America one also find similar types, but in the Amazones and areas around the similarity is tricking.

Regarding the thieves, ...I think they where a bit far away from their typical pastures. Normally Latin thieve bands move to Europe between March and November, returning to their countries for X'mas.

The nationalities cought are typically house breakers; there are others that are masters pickpocket's. I wonder what made them come to Thailand, not a wealthy country. Maybe the lack of house alarms and the easinest to go through customs. the looks would help too.

The picture below, shows a chilean Mapuche indian woman with her baby, The reasemblance with Thailand is stricking too. Dont you agree

post-85408-093911400 1284274380_thumb.jp

Edited by JoeCard

Not only Thaïland will be more and more a thieves' hub; any country with enough to loot , starting with Europe. Intelligence in Europe has it that in the coming 5 years there's going to be an increase of appalling scope of foreign mafias from all over the world , well-organized, with papers, money , big godfathers.

The Serbs last time were another example.

In South America they now can build fully submersible submarines for delivery of tons of coke. Thaï Navy would love one .

Do you read about dozens of corpses routinely dug up in S America?

I like the direction this discussion is GROWING. I am Latin myself, and believe me well travelled.

I shared some intense times with tribes in the Amazones; my wife is Thai, the beautiful Kmer Lao type. There is an amazing similarity in the looks and the energy both folks have.

Yes in Mexico and North America one also find similar types, but in the Amazones and areas around the similarity is tricking.

Regarding the thieves, ...I think they where a bit far away from their typical pastures. Normally Latin thieve bands move to Europe between March and November, returning to their countries for X'mas.

The nationalities cought are typically house breakers; there are others that are masters pickpocket's. I wonder what made them come to Thailand, not a wealthy country. Maybe the lack of house alarms and the easinest to go through customs. the looks would help too.

The picture below, shows a chilean Mapuche indian woman with her baby, The reasemblance with Thailand is stricking too. Dont you agree

NO ! because there's no pic !

Not only Thaïland will be more and more a thieves' hub; any country with enough to loot , starting with Europe. Intelligence in Europe has it that in the coming 5 years there's going to be an increase of appalling scope of foreign mafias from all over the world , well-organized, with papers, money , big godfathers.

The Serbs last time were another example.

In South America they now can build fully submersible submarines for delivery of tons of coke. Thaï Navy would love one .

Do you read about dozens of corpses routinely dug up in S America?

Well, well, well. These guys are far from ever owning a submarine, or an off board dingy. They are normally recruited by one smart thief who already knows the way, and after paying a dollar fee they are set and sent to ... Thailand for instance, to recoup their investment. They are off humble origins, brought up in some ruthless neighbourhood shanty town, places where local police dont dare to get in.

They are not the violent kind yo get from the Balkans or eastern europe; that incidentaly have already overpowered the local european maffias through the unlimited attrocity of their shows of power. Maybe that's why the Latins are moving to Thailand, is less risky than Europe as far as the competition is concerned. The police should give them the same harsh treatment political disidents enjoy' that would surely would be a deterrent for future incomers.

The police should give them the same harsh treatment political disidents enjoy' that would surely would be a deterrent for future incomers.

They won't survive in Thailand simply because they will be rounded up and deported en mass based on nationality once Thailand gets suitably fed up with them.

China, Japan, and Singapore have done similar things before to the criminal element trying to take root.

Edited by wintermute

Oh Boy, I was sorry to read this. I moved here to get away from the chicos and mexicans that flood the US.

I hope authorities get tough with them send them back and don't issue visas to those from south of the US. Nothing but trash and thieves. If they keep letting them in it'll end up like the US.

Toyota Fortuner pickup

You'd have thought that the Nation's journos would have been able to get that one right.

:blink:

What about "burglar tools", <deleted> are they? and more importantly do i / we the TV members unwittingly have these tools in our homes as well??

Oh Boy, I was sorry to read this. I moved here to get away from the chicos and mexicans that flood the US.

I hope authorities get tough with them send them back and don't issue visas to those from south of the US. Nothing but trash and thieves. If they keep letting them in it'll end up like the US.

Speechless :o

• Like 1

Ending up like the US? We can't have that, now can we ;)

What about "burglar tools", <deleted> are they? and more importantly do i / we the TV members unwittingly have these tools in our homes as well??

A hammer that used to drive in a nail into the wall so that you can hang your favourite picture is considered a tool.

A hammer that is used to break a window, so as to permit one to gain illegal entry into someone's house, is considered a burglary tool.

I hope this makes sense, and perhaps the next time you see an article where one is accused of having "burglary tools" or even "bomb-making" materials in their home, you can draw on the analogy. The tools or materials them and themselves are not illegal; it is how they are used.

P.S. I should add that when law enforcement arrests a person, or persons, for committing a crime such a burglary, or say terrorism, it is in best interest (for law enforcement and prosecutors) to collect and use as much evidence, even if it seems trivial, so as to convict the person(s).

Edited by Gumballl

Don't issue visas for those who are from south of US?

Maybe they should think about visa purposes for guys north of Mexico?

Guess some good people live there too.

This is the third time I have heard of Colombians doing this, the first time in CM a little over a year ago and the second in Pattaya earlier this year. The first group actually had 2 lawyers here waiting to bail them out in case they were caught.

Did the gang in CM (where is that?) eventually get convicted and jailed?

This is the third time I have heard of Colombians doing this, the first time in CM a little over a year ago and the second in Pattaya earlier this year. The first group actually had 2 lawyers here waiting to bail them out in case they were caught.

Did the gang in CM (where is that?) eventually get convicted and jailed?

I have to wonder how these foreigners find and target their burglary victims. The 2 locations mentioned are on the outskirts of Bangkok where foreigners would be out of place, and quickly noticed.

Easy.

I guess they have some Women (Colombian not Thais) who working for them as well .

They will find many of their Customers in local Discothekes, Clubs///... .

The Man Thai or whatever where from, takes the Girl home and screws her.

Later she will infiltrate the house and or write down the exact Address.

The rest you can guess by yourself.

Even more easy if the male is single and a regular to a particular Bar...

Then they will even know when nobody stays home . ...

Boom done.