What'S A "Port"?

JusMe

I know this is really newbie stuff, but it still confuses the hel_l out of me.

What is a "port"? who closed mine, if they're closed? who do I forward them to if that's what should be done?

Yeah, I've tried to read the linked pages about "Port Forwarding" but my eyes glaze over about the second paragraph.

I really don't care how something works, I just want it to work! That's why I love the Mac so much.

I use Transmission, and in Preferences > Network, there's a Peer Listening Port (as opposed to a peer shouting port?) which has a five digit number in the box. Then a button, usually red, with the indication "Port is closed." I have it checked to randomize on launch, and occasionally (don't really know why, though) I push the button that says Randomize.

Using uTorrent, I get a green spot on the bottom right, or a yellow one (means maybe?) or a red one. These seem to indicate the same thing about some port being connected.

However, no matter what colour all those buttons are, I notice that torrent files continue moving up and down, no matter whether I Randomize whatever they are or not.

What are these "ports" and who closed mine? Can I open them? Should I?

Keep it really simple. As I said, I really don't care how it works, just as long as it does.

Just like it says a port is a port, an opening (like a door) from your computer to the rest of the world, thru internet, email and stuff like that.

Your pc has more than 65000 of these door and they all have their own number (like in a hotel). Some of these doors are used just for 1 thing like incoming email goes thru door (port) number 80. Port forewarding only means that you open a specific port for a specific protocall. In your case torrents. Many programs use pre destend ports so if you would like to open one do so above the 11000 level.

• Like 1

Just like it says a port is a port, an opening (like a door) from your computer to the rest of the world, thru internet, email and stuff like that.

Your pc has more than 65000 of these door and they all have their own number (like in a hotel). Some of these doors are used just for 1 thing like incoming email goes thru door (port) number 80. Port forewarding only means that you open a specific port for a specific protocall. In your case torrents. Many programs use pre destend ports so if you would like to open one do so above the 11000 level.

Okay, I've got lots of doors. Who closed 'em all?

And if I "Randomize" supposedly to open one of those high numbered ports, why do I keep getting that "Port is closed" message.

How do I open one of those big numbered doors, other than just keeping on putting big numbers into that box in Transmission or uTorrent?

And if the torrents are flowing up and down, despite the door apparently being closed, why bother opening one?

Open your firewall (how to do that depends on your operating system) and make sure that you torrent program is allowed to connect. It probably is already as you seem to be able to upload and download.

Open your modem/router in your web browser. Often it is opened by typing the url 192.168.1.1 in the address bar then enter username and password, again, it is often admin/admin unless you have changed it. Once you are inside the router look through the system to find where you can open or forward ports and follow the instructions.

However, no matter what colour all those buttons are, I notice that torrent files continue moving up and down, no matter whether I Randomize whatever they are or not.

So what's your problem exactly? It sounds like everything is working.

Maybe you could tell us the details of your router (make, model number), and your computing platform.

But honestly it is far easier to plod through the port forwarding instructions for your router. Choose your router and your application (uTorrent) then follow the instructions. There are two (2) steps, no really long paragraphs and plenty of screenshots. Here is the page for my router and uTorrent.

You can click on the green, orange or red icon in uTorrent, and select "Run Test" to determine what the problem(s) might be, if any.

Its also possible your OS is talking to your router and telling it which port to open for uTorrent.

Edited by lomatopo

So what's your problem exactly? It sounds like everything is working.

Maybe you could tell us the details of your router (make, model number), and your computing platform.

But honestly it is far easier to plod through the port forwarding instructions for your router. Choose your router and your application (uTorrent) then follow the instructions. There are two (2) steps, no really long paragraphs and plenty of screenshots. Here is the page for my router and uTorrent.

You can click on the green, orange or red icon in uTorrent, and select "Run Test" to determine what the problem(s) might be, if any.

Its also possible your OS is talking to your router and telling it which port to open for uTorrent.

No real problem. I've been reading about all the problems people have had and some of it had to do with port forwarding, which made me curious. And wondering if I could improve on what I've got. But things do appear to be working, so there's no current problem.

My router is the one my ISP sold me (TOT). It's a Billion BiPAC 5201S RC

I'm on an iMac, OS 10.6.4

My torrents are usually with either uTorrent (the latest Mac version) or Transmission (an earlier version due to problems with TheBox not liking updates).

I looked at that link, and it seems to be selling software, for PCs, that does the job for one. I can find my router on the list, but sure can't use .exe files.

If I click on the bottom right coloured button in uTorrent, it opens up the Preferences so I can "Randomize" the port again.

Obviously as things do appear to be working, there's nothing urgent or insistent about all this. Just trying to see what happens. Seems if I do Randomize on occasion, the uploads improve somewhat, or seem to reconnect, or continue after some pause. Maybe it's only a natural pause.

As you say, maybe my OS is chatting to the router and giving it appropriate instructions.

I looked at that link, and it seems to be selling software, for PCs, that does the job for one. I can find my router on the list, but sure can't use .exe files.

Not sure what happened when you went to the port forwarding website, it seems pretty simple; look for your modem then look for your application? No exe files whatsoever, just some reading and doing.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Billion/Bipac-5102s/Utorrent.htm

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Billion/Bipac-5200/Utorrent.htm

I couldn't find a 5201S but yours should be like one or both of these.

The default router username is ADMIN and the password is TOT

There are probably more threads here but I was too lazy to read through them all.

Edited by lomatopo

Not sure what happened when you went to the port forwarding website, it seems pretty simple; look for your modem then look for your application? No exe files whatsoever, just some reading and doing.

Sometime there is a nasty ad for some useless crapware filling the whole screen, can confuse anyone....

Many newbies who visit www.portforward.com miss out the first step needed before configuring the router or firewall.

The first step is to set a static LAN IP address for your computer. See http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

A router can issue out more than 250 addresses to computers connected to it. If you do not set a static IP address, then your computer may have a new IP address every time the router or computer reboots, and port forwarding to the specific address set into the router will not reach your computer.

The one closing your port is TOT ! It is called throthing and it keeps you from downloading torrents at a normal speed. Why ? because they (TOT ) do not have enough bandwith to supply us with decent speed. You pay say for a 4 MB connection but you're lucky to get 3 MB.