Tools For Working On The Car

Lauriedog123

Quality tools are difficult to find, however Sata is one of the better locally available brands.

I use Nana Tool and he has both good stuff and crap. If not available he will order what you need

Just off the moat road heading towards Tesco. There will be a bunch of yellow songtaws blocking parking in front of his shop

Basic inexpensive tools are widely available at the superstores: Carrefour, Lotus/Tesco, Big C and especially Home Pro which may have more of a range of choices. I've never been in Global House or some of the others, but you could check there too. These stores also have basic automotive oils, brake fluid etc, but I don't remember ever seeing 90 wt differential oil.

The place I've been able to find higher quality tools when desired, like good drill bits, files and other specialized tools where quality makes a big difference, is at Chiang Mai Tools, on the north side frontage road of the Super Hwy, just east of the Faham-San Peesua road which runs along the east side of the Ping River in Faham district. But because few items are displayed (stock is in the back room) you need a good description, picture, or someone who speaks Thai and knows what you are looking for.

If you're talking Halfords quality, I'd just mess about in HomePro. They have open-ended and ratchet ring spanners... although not up to facom/Snap on quality, but you don't need that, right. Some decent sets on the side shelf of the Superhighway one though, along with Stanley allen key sets, and less in your face there than the Hang Dong one. Also got some oils there in the tool section, but probably better off at Global (inner ring) for that end of it.

Yes, Homepro is more expensive in general, but on like-for-like imported stuff, it's very similar. Only the tacky, low-end stuff is dirt cheap.

On Thai mechanics being cheaper than tools, if you can't do something yourself and/or don't mind spending time putting a crud job right, then go for it.