400 Police To Keep Security At Rajprasong Red Shirt Rally On Sunday

webfact

400 police to keep security at Rajprasong on Sunday

By The Nation

The Metropolitan Police Bureau will deploy a 400-strong anti-riot force to maintain security at Rajprasong Intersection where the red-shirt movement is scheduled to mark the 4th anniversary of the 2006 coup that ousted former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, the bureau chief said yesterday.

Metropolitan Police commissioner Pol Lt-General Santhan Chayanon said policemen would block the protesters from taking their rally beyond the intersection.

About 2,000 to 3,000 red-shirt supporters are expected to gather at the intersection, where they will tie red ribbons and release red balloons in a symbolic gesture.

Santhan said that though 400 officers are expected to be enough to control the situation, police officers at 88 police stations across the city would still be on stand by to provide reinforcements if needed.

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation has been informed of the security measures, Santhan added.

Meanwhile, army chief General Anupong Paochinda expressed confidence yesterday that the police would be able to keep law and order, as well as prevent any untoward incidents.

Anupong said he had assessed the situation and believed that the rally on Sunday would be kept within the legal limit. He said the organisers of the rally had already coordinated with police so they would not be violating any laws.

The army chief said police would be in charge of maintaining security and negotiating with demonstrators to stop them from using violence. Anupong added that he did not expect any untoward incidents from a third party either, because the public would alert the police if anything happens.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-14

And what is going to happen is they don't go home? The government is playing with fire, I can't help but feel if it blows up in their face, I will have too much sympathy for them.

The SOE is in. Enforce it. If you aren't going to enforce it, then lift it. Right now is the worst of both worlds politically for Abhisit.

This could go badly, but PM has to allow freedom of political expression to achieve reconciliation. Suppression will only make those who follow the Red cause more adamant that they are being wronged.

There has also been a statement previously that any police failing to do their duty will be severely punished. The police are the appropriate control for a public gathering/political rally - it may be an opportunity to do a little weeding of those who can't sort out their priorities.

If this is indeed a few hour event so let them. Route known, police adjusting traffic, etc.

Now if they would try to stay they would breach the arrangement made with the police. Police would be justified to crackdown on them. Make sure there are enough CCTV's working, invite some foreign journalists and give them police as protection. the organizers are responsible and cannot hide behind arguments like 'our supporters didn't want to go'.

May be the government should prepare a press package detailing what it is about, what arrangements have been made, and how organizers plan to disperse with their protesters after the happening (i.e. later that day).

This could go badly, but PM has to allow freedom of political expression to achieve reconciliation. Suppression will only make those who follow the Red cause more adamant that they are being wronged.

There has also been a statement previously that any police failing to do their duty will be severely punished. The police are the appropriate control for a public gathering/political rally - it may be an opportunity to do a little weeding of those who can't sort out their priorities.

The ridiculous thing about the SOE is that effectively the Army can order any government entity to do anything. So effectively the army is ordering the police to their job. Hardly inspires confidence does it.

I cannot believe that the politicians and the army (Abhisit was on TV with Anupong yesterday) believe that having the SOE in place but then allowing protests is a very good long term plan. In fact it is a farce.

Allowing people to flout the law is what has got Thailand into trouble. Unfortunately, the politicians and now even the army are appearing to be made of jelly.

400 police! Probably the same bozos they sent to WATCH the last rally and subsequent turmoil/destruction.

If they were half smart they would seed the rally with plain (red shirted) clothed SWAT police and immediately arrest anyone seen to be inciting riot.

• Like 1

This could go easily out of hand...thought there was a rumor spread by the red's that by October there will be another coup... head of PT stepped down.. it's far from over, far from "reconciliation', there is only one reconciliation: if "da MAN" is back at the helm and can take revenge, I am afraid the day might come...

--- I do not own a business in Bangkok, but if I was one of the owners whose business was disrupted by this "circus demonstration" for three months last spring or even LOST my business, I would want to get even. Then there is the average BKK citizen that doesn't adore the Red Shirts either.... mmmmmmmm, police won't be much protection for these demonstrators.

• Like 1

Quite amusing how some self stylized "experts" want to give advice about something they have got no clue about. Before you contribute something meaningful you should know better what's going on.

Let's see...

@bdenner

If they were half smart they would seed the rally with plain (red shirted) clothed SWAT police and immediately arrest anyone seen to be inciting riot.

Wow, what smart advice... Guess what, they were doing exactly just that already at all Red Sunday activities. Here a link to a video that shows how Khun Natee was arrested by plain clothes security officers at a small Red Sunday gatehring at Ratchaprasong on July 18:

Last Sunday at Ratchaprasong and Lumpini there were more plain clothes officers (even in red shirts) than uniformed police.

@piengrudee

On July 25 on Lumpini Park the Red Sunday group already gathered about a thousand red shirts and for this weekend even the authorities expect at least 2'000-3'000 supporters showing up in red. I keep documenting some of these activities and here you can see for yourself. In Patthaya they could get more than 5'000 people in the evening and on August 1 there were already about 15'000 red shirts at a concert in Omm Noi.

Here a photo from August 1 at Omm Noi:

picture-22.jpg

@rubl

At all the last Red Sunday events there have already been more than 50 international journalists, photographers and TV crews. They don't need police protection; they are all very warmly received and treated very well by the redshirts. If you would have got an open mind you would go and see for yourself. Next time before you open your mouth go there and have a look and see and ask the journalists that attended these gatherings.

How can anyone take the emergency decree seriously after the PM was officially say THANK YOU to a thousand yellow ultranationalists that were blocking Sukhumvit in front of UNESCO for two days (yes, they camped there and threatened to stay indefinitely!)? Later he was even going onto their stage when they demonstrated in Din Daeng and parts of them were demonstrating in front of Government House and HQ of Army 11.

And what is going to happen is they don't go home? The government is playing with fire, I can't help but feel if it blows up in their face, I will have too much sympathy for them.

The SOE is in. Enforce it. If you aren't going to enforce it, then lift it. Right now is the worst of both worlds politically for Abhisit.

Thanks for posting..unfortunately I am too far from Bangkok... can not travel at this point...only send my heart and Soul....

It is very hard for people around to know the whole story until the end... it will be too late.....and everyone will pay the price....

I am worry about the third hand that has nothing to do with the Thai Gov or the Red shirt....but, he or she wants to destroy Thailand and her people......terrorist group....who has his or her agenda.......

I urge everyone to encourage friends talking to each others and remember Communication, communication and communication will make a difference....

My take and opinion.....

P.S. life is getting tough especially the World is turning to 21 TH century....everyone is for his or herself and Money talks....it seems like it can buy anything under the sky.....amazing....

Last Sunday at Ratchaprasong and Lumpini there were more plain clothes officers (even in red shirts) than uniformed police.

How do you know this?

Were you put in charge of checking everyone's "I'm an Official Red Shirt" membership card?

the last Red Sunday events there have already been more than 50 international journalists, photographers and TV crews. They don't need police protection; they are all very warmly received and treated very well by the red shirts.

Guess that makes a for a radical change then from earlier when they were throwing grenades at journalists

t2223466709.jpg

Canadian journalist Chandler Vandergrift (left) lies wounded near injured Thai soldiers after they were hit by a grenade on May 19, 2010 in Bangkok, Thailand.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/crackdown_in_bangkok.html

• Like 1

Quite amusing how some self stylized "experts" want to give advice about something they have got no clue about. Before you contribute something meaningful you should know better what's going on.

Let's see...

@bdenner

Wow, what smart advice... Guess what, they were doing exactly just that already at all Red Sunday activities. Here a link to a video that shows how Khun Natee was arrested by plain clothes security officers at a small Red Sunday gatehring at Ratchaprasong on July 18:

@piengrudee

On July 25 on Lumpini Park the Red Sunday group already gathered about a thousand red shirts and for this weekend even the authorities expect at least 2'000-3'000 supporters showing up in red. I keep documenting some of these activities and here you can see for yourself. In Patthaya they could get more than 5'000 people in the evening and on August 1 there were already about 15'000 red shirts at a concert in Omm Noi.

Here a photo from August 1 at Omm Noi:

picture-22.jpg

@rubl

At all the last Red Sunday events there have already been more than 50 international journalists, photographers and TV crews. They don't need police protection; they are all very warmly received and treated very well by the redshirts. If you would have got an open mind you would go and see for yourself. Next time before you open your mouth go there and have a look and see and ask the journalists that attended these gatherings.

How can anyone take the emergency decree seriously after the PM was officially say THANK YOU to a thousand yellow ultranationalists that were blocking Sukhumvit in front of UNESCO for two days (yes, they camped there and threatened to stay indefinitely!)? Later he was even going onto their stage when they demonstrated in Din Daeng and parts of them were demonstrating in front of Government House and HQ of Army 11.

More BS. The video you posted was staged - he was arrested by other red shirts, <deleted>!

• Like 1

TF knows that there "were more plainclothes police" than uniformed police? I think TF is buying into the redshirt claims even more now than before!

If gatherings are not "ill-intentioned" they will be allowed to happen. Anyone inciting violence at any gathering should and hopefully will be arrested under the SoE.

edit --- I see someone beat me to this.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

<snip>

@bdenner

<snip>

Can anyone translate what he was yelling?

[

Can anyone translate what he was yelling?

Originally he was just yelling out that they need to listen to the people, not just themself or something like that. Later after those men grab him and carry him away he is yelling about coming alone and not being with a group.

It probably goes without saying but he seems to be objecting to what is being said over the microphone. That obviously wasnt appreciated. :lol:

I have trouble hearing between parts of his yelling and the guy on the microphone.

Whenever I see these little youtube clips I wonder what was happening before and after, so unless you were there......

Edited by neverdie

long list removed, see above for original eply from TF

You take the words right out of my mouth. With all you provide you only forgot the quote the poor innocent peaceful protesters, not terrorists. In May the UDD leaders invited foreign journalists, but had them threatened by guards/black shirts. Their life was threatened especially when the reds went on a rampage. CCTV's broken or covered. 'come and look' has a different meaning to me.

Edited by rubl

I think it was Einstein that said, "It's a sign of insanity when people do the same thing over and over again and expect differents results''.

The time, effort and money it takes to organise and conduct more rallies and interuption in Thailand could be better focused and directed towards the future and upcoming election. Of course theres also probably the reality of the fact that any incoming government would need tens of millions of votes and not just one or two hundred thousand ot them.

@rubl

Thank you for your invitation to have a look myself. I have to decline. Walking past Saladeang intersection for weeks, missing the BTS attack by hours and having been told by my (Thai) boss to stay away from the office in RamaIV for awhile, has been enough experience for me. There some pictures of those peaeceful days:

post-58-053867200 1284448386_thumb.jpg

post-58-074000700 1284448301_thumb.jpg

post-58-032311400 1284448350_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

General Anupong Paochinda expressed confidence yesterday that the police would be able to keep law and order, as well as prevent any untoward incidents.

Anupong said he had assessed the situation and believed that the rally on Sunday would be kept within the legal limit

I don't think his words will actually be enforced. He has seen the future through a crystal ball, thus assessed the situation and believed the rally would be kept within legal limit (which he probably doesn't even know the legal limit if asked)

Just like what happened in march!!! this is how it begins and will creep up on them and the next excuse would be, we didn't expect this and its some other ministry's fault..

General Anupong Paochinda expressed confidence yesterday that the police would be able to keep law and order, as well as prevent any untoward incidents.

Anupong said he had assessed the situation and believed that the rally on Sunday would be kept within the legal limit

I don't think his words will actually be enforced.

The no-nonsense Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief replacement has been approved and should be available if the need arises

"General Prayuth Chan-ocha, a staunch Thaksin foe"

So the Government are sending 400 police to watch the protesters?

&lt;deleted&gt;? the police are red shirts.

It's a joke and Bangkok will be under siege again before Christmas.

Thai police are utterly USELESS. Perhaps the entire world knows this; hence the need for the army to "do its thing." Clean up this lot would be a great start to bring Land of Scams (LOS) nearer a democracy govt.

Giving consequences in Lack of Sanctions (LOS)? LOLOL Would that be a first? Does this country know the meaning of sanctions/consequences/personal responsibility. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE