Reasons Why We Live Here

While overcharging and double pricing certainly happen here, I have many times had merchants and small vendors return money to me when I thought they said one price and it was actually a lower price. I have also given people the wrong denomination of bill (500 for 100) and had them correct the mistake. Once I had a sales clerk in Nathon search the neighborhood for me (successfully) when I left a store after changing my mind about a purchase and left my payment behind. I rarely have anything to do with those who fleece tourists for a living and find the Thai people I do encounter mostly pretty honest in my dealings with them. Often, if I suspect I was treated unfairly I find out it I was wrong. :rolleyes: I do keep a pretty close eye on other people's arithmetic, but that is not specific to Thailand! :jap:

in my country (where democracy began) laugh.gif i had return many times, different amounts to retail shops cashiers, but never, never i get money back (probobly i never made wrong last 20 years)rolleyes.gif in bangkok many times cashiers from 7/11 or of street food sellers run after me to give me the rest of the moneycool.gif

I have known a taxi driver drive from Bangkok to Pattaya to return a bag with wallet, cash and passport that he found after dropping a passenger off. I have had a shop girl in a small upcountry village run after me because I had paid too much.

But these stories don't hit the newspapers!

The op is a nice story of honesty but I wouldn't put it under reasons to live anywhere. I'll add one of my own stories... In Moscow I once dropped my money belt near an outdoor market on the edge of town on my way to the airport. It had cash, credit cards, my passport and visa. When I noticed it was missing, I turned around and about 30 meters away was an older Russian couple hurrying towards me waving it above their heads. I was probably the first westerner they had ever seen up close. It's a nice story, but not a reason to live there. Now, hot Russian chicks is a good reason. ;)

i did some bbq shopping at lotus last sunday, when i got home i had all the bags but the one with the meat and fish? i hurried back to lotus and all the cashiers looked the same to me so i went to each one and asked if i had left a bag, they all looked at me like i was a nutter, at this point i didn't know what to think; maybe visit the lost and found. on my way to the lf counter a man in a white shirt an tie came trotting towards me with my bag in hand. i was pleased and a bit surprised so i took it and left. the next day i returned to give him a small tip, when i asked around it turned out that he was a day renter infront of the mk windows where he saw me drop the bag. he went into mk and told them to keep an eye out for me, so when i returned they were looking for me. i never did find him but i gave the girls at mk a tip.

YEAH, I LOVE POSTS like this,,they are the only ones i put up,,,,,tis not all bad,,,as they say .........INNIT !!!!! i have Thai friends who now reply INNIT THOUGH!!!! pisses me pants it does

That's just low class Britspeak ! The Brit owner of a bar in Chaweng once gave me his card and his email address was " ]nicehereinnit@xxxxxx.com[/email] :huh:

Edited by Rooo
Email.

come on man, you're net savvy enough to know that you can't bring up hot [insert country name here] chicks without posting some pics as evidence.

The op is a nice story of honesty but I wouldn't put it under reasons to live anywhere. I'll add one of my own stories... In Moscow I once dropped my money belt near an outdoor market on the edge of town on my way to the airport. It had cash, credit cards, my passport and visa. When I noticed it was missing, I turned around and about 30 meters away was an older Russian couple hurrying towards me waving it above their heads. I was probably the first westerner they had ever seen up close. It's a nice story, but not a reason to live there. Now, hot Russian chicks is a good reason. ;)

I don't think the Thai's are any worse than in any other country, there is always a bad element of people where ever you go. Generally I think most people regardless of where they are from are honest.

I've forgotten or misplaced things several times here in Thailand, and always got the stuff back....

I think the most surprising case was leaving a bag on a bus in BKK. After a few phone calls by a Thai friend, I did get it back fully intact... a couple of days later...:D ,,,,, It cost me 500 baht, but well worth it.....

That same friend said to me " people sometimes borrow, but forget to bring back"..... I know that does not just apply to the Thais!!!! ......now does it!!!!?:o

MM:

i hurried back to lotus and all the cashiers looked the same to me so i went to each one and asked if i had left a bag

Oh I loved that. Made me laugh out loud.

You can just hear the British colonial in India saying, "I say, all the cashiers look the same to me, I dare say...."

Yep, all those cashier girls look so much alike, well, who can possibly tell them apart? Like swedes, sort of, wouldn't you say, old chap?

MM:

i hurried back to lotus and all the cashiers looked the same to me so i went to each one and asked if i had left a bag

You can just hear the British colonial in India saying, "I say, all the cashiers look the same to me, I dare say...."

Yep, all those cashier girls look so much alike, well, who can possibly tell them apart? Like swedes, sort of, wouldn't you say, old chap?

Most turnips look the same too. Although the ones that look like wayne rooney....... probably look like wayne rooney.

MM:

pretty sure if they were in the states and returned to kmart after leaving 30 minutes they would probably say the same thing. as a matter of fact i sometimes worry that i will not recognise my wife on flights arriving from hong kong, i have hard a hard time telling her apart from my maid, and that has gotten me in some trouble and i can hardly tell my sons apart but they are 6 yrs apart so that helps if they are standing, i agree sweeds do look alike as well. ;)

MM:

pretty sure if they were in the states and returned to kmart after leaving 30 minutes they would probably say the same thing. as a matter of fact i sometimes worry that i will not recognise my wife on flights arriving from hong kong, i have hard a hard time telling her apart from my maid, and that has gotten me in some trouble and i can hardly tell my sons apart but they are 6 yrs apart so that helps if they are standing, i agree sweeds do look alike as well. ;)

i'm willing to wager one beer that your wife didn't hire that maid. it does get difficult for me to tell the thai girls apart though, after one or two dozen beer chang they all look like my girlfriend. for some reason the hotel rooms all look like my house as well.

i'm willing to wager one beer that your wife didn't hire that maid. it does get difficult for me to tell the thai girls apart though, after one or two dozen beer chang they all look like my girlfriend. for some reason the hotel rooms all look like my house as well.

Please please stop drinking!:realangry:

The same thing happened to me in Tiger night club in Phuket of all places.

I didn't realise my wallet was missing till i went to by a drink. I went to the door man. and told them. They had found it. They took the driving license out to make sure that i could match the details on the lisence. Then they told me to get my wallet off the dj. I could have kissed evryone for that. Instead i insisted of giving all the cask of my wallet to the staff. though i thought that i might not be fair to gove to 1 person as it was a joint effort. so i stuck 2500 baht in the tip box.

infact this remindes me. i found a forang visa card in the atm machine at night time. so i stuck it under the door in the bank of ayudya in bohput next to the tile shop. I forgot to go back since and ask if anyone came and clamed it. if anyone on here. it was a bllack atm card and it was registered to a lady. cannot remeber the name though i have a photo some where

I didn't realise my wallet was missing till i went to by a drink. I went to the door man. and told them. They had found it. They took the driving license out to make sure that i could match the details on the lisence. Then they told me to get my wallet off the dj. I could have kissed evryone for that. Instead i insisted of giving all the cask of my wallet to the staff. though i thought that i might not be fair to gove to 1 person as it was a joint effort. so i stuck 2500 baht in the tip box.

Nice one Big C

Nice one Big C

hel_l!

I bet they've all got you marked so the next time you go someone can steal your wallet so they can 'find' it and get tipped again!

R

Edited by robsamui