Why Thailand Fought On The Japanese Side During Ww Ii

mark45y

if thailand had cooperated with british malaya to stop the japanese from crossing the border, the initial attacks could have been failure, history would be different today without the fall of british empire, The fall of british power is the reason Japanese invasion succeeded

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand was occupied by the Japanese in WW2. The occupation commenced at the same time as the attack on Malaya.

Japan needed to occupy Thailand so they could invade Burma and the later India would have been next.

Thailand as a country was not directly involved in WW2

Thailand had a defacto goverment in exile as had many European countries that had been overrun by German forces.

Great Britain declared war on Germany, Japan declared war on the British Empire, Japan declared war on the United States of America and Germany declared war on the USA after Japan had attacked Pearl Harbour. Germany attacked the USSR but the USSR had a non agression pact with Japan until 1945 when they invaded Korea.

Thailand was NEVER occupied. Thailand agreed that the Japanese could cross Thailand in order to attack Malaya and Burma, and Thailand also agreed to supply materiel. But the Thai armed forces, as well as the Thai police forces, remained completely independent and armed. The country was NOT occupied.

As for involvement in WW2? Thailand declared war, even to the surprise of the Japanese, against the Allies. She also occupied four Malay provinces and one Burmese, where Thai forces did come into contact with Chinese forces.

There was NO Thai government in exile whatsoever, defacto or otherwise. There were a few individuals, such as Seni Pramoj, who tried to influence Western governments, but they were unsuccessful.

Care to elucidate how and on what terms Thailand was 'paid' for the materiel she supplied the japanese?

Edited by longway

Care to elucidate how and on what terms Thailand was 'paid' for the materiel she supplied the japanese?

Ordinary commercial transactions, as had been common for more than ten years previous.

As I recall, later there were discussions about exchange rates, gold transfers, and other economic difficulties, but the basics were ordinary international commercial transactions.

The thais 'lent' the japanses gold for which they got yen at a rate fixed by the japanese which the japanese used to 'buy' this materiel, I cant remember the details now. Basically japan gave thailand paper in return got gold and supplies.

Yes very ordinary commercial transactions. The japanese were pretty much looting the country, they may have been allies on paper, but the reality was that what japan wanted japan got for nothing.

Edited by longway

Why shouldn't Thailand have aligned with Japan...it did not owe either special loyaly. In hindsight it made the wrong choice maybe...or maybe the right one as so few Thais were killed.

What I would like to see though is a little more honesty about what actually happened. There seems too much saving face in Thai history.

This is a taboo subject in Thailand.

Very much so.

Fairly close to me there is a monument/statue, it's quite reminiscent of the very famous Iwo Jima one.

Not one single local I have talked to has been able to tell me what it is about. Whether it is from an unwillingness to talk about it or just total lack of knowledge I can't figure out. I'm heavily leaning towards the second option though.

Five monkeys in a cage syndrome.

You live near here. maybe this is it !

The Franco-Thai War (Thai: กรณีพิพาทอินโดจีน or สงครามอินโดจีน ครั้งที่ French: Guerre ... The Victory Monument, located in the district of Ratchathewi on a ...uk.ask.com/wiki/Franco-Thai_War - 166k - Cached

Edited by Kwasaki

Philbun was very much anti-Chinese and would not fight on the same side with them. He had taken a position against the Chinese in Thailand similar to what Hitler did with the Jews in Europe.

He taxed Chinese business specifically, shut down Chinese social organizations and schools. He enacted many laws that still affect foreigners today but were originally intended to stifle Chinese business and land ownership in Thailand. This is not talked about obviously because of the capitalist, ethnic Chinese grip on Thailand which continues today. All Thai history was written/edited by the Thai/Chinese. Philbin died in exhile in Japan in the 80s.

Edited by Pakboong

This is interesting if you care to read.:rolleyes:

Type this in :-

http : / / assets . cambridge . org / 9 7 8 0 5 2 1 8 / 3 6 0 1 2 / excerpt _ pdf

if it don't go !

Type in yahoo search :- Thailand and Japanese in world war two.

tons of reading.

Edited by Kwasaki

Why shouldn't Thailand have aligned with Japan...it did not owe either special loyalty.

In hindsight it made the wrong choice maybe...or maybe the right one as so few Thais were killed.

What I would like to see though is a little more honesty about what actually happened. There seems too much saving face in Thai history.

Because on June 12, 1940, she had signed a Pact of Non-Aggression with Great Britain. The alliance with Japan and then the declaration of war was an abrogation of their own signed pact.

The choice being right or wrong is open for discussion, and definitely speculative. While facts are facts, that is definitely a matter of opinion.

I agree with your request for honesty, which has been made many times. Japan itself is still fighting against disclosure and acceptance of its own WW2 history.

Why Thailand Fought On the Japanese (Axis) Side During WWII?

Simply put - Because they thought that the Japanese (Axis Powers) were going to win.

Ummm NO,

They had no choice.

You think they were gonna fight the Japanese, how could they ? huh.gif

What would you have done to ensure hundreds of thousands of your people were not slaughtered, and your cities bombed ?

Cos we all know how benevolent the Japanese were against any occupied natives.

No doubt Guesthouse could have turned the war around if only he had been there. laugh.gif

Japan only had one voluntary ally during the war, Thailand.

Yeah Voluntary...

freddy_death.JPG

"You wanna Volunteer , RIGHT?!?!?"

i wonder if anyone knows about the story of the Thai dental students in WW2.

They had gone to the Philippines to learn dentistry when they were captured by the Americans who imprisoned them on the grounds that Thailand had joined the Japanese in the war.

After negotiations with the Thai authorities who pointed out the students had no part in the war, they were released and put on a merchant ship laden with soya beans traveling to Thailand.

The merchant ship proceeded very slowly due to the heavy weight of the cargo, consequently the students dumped the soya beans overboard to increase speed.

This action is believed to have saved their lives, for the boat was subsequently bombed, but the coordinates had been wrongly calculated by the aircraft bomber as the boat had moved faster than anticipated due to the shedding of its load.

The Filipino captain felt it was too dangerous to continue and headed for a nearby island, the Thai students eventually made it back to Thailand a few months later.

The group of dentistry students eventually graduated in Thailand and became known as the เรือเเตก contingent, meeting up every year for reunions.

....has this story details been whispered by the soy bean ghost?

This is a taboo subject in Thailand.

Very much so.

Fairly close to me there is a monument/statue, it's quite reminiscent of the very famous Iwo Jima one.

Not one single local I have talked to has been able to tell me what it is about. Whether it is from an unwillingness to talk about it or just total lack of knowledge I can't figure out. I'm heavily leaning towards the second option though.

Five monkeys in a cage syndrome.

You live near here. maybe this is it !

The Franco-Thai War (Thai: กรณีพิพาทอินโดจีน or สงครามอินโดจีน ครั้งที่ French: Guerre ... The Victory Monument, located in the district of Ratchathewi on a ...uk.ask.com/wiki/Franco-Thai_War - 166k - Cached

Err, no.

And when did a big spike have any resemblence to the Iwo Jima statue or photo.

Er... you do know that Thailand DID fight against JApan in WW2.

Take a trip to Ao Manao, Prachurup kirikan. There is a military museum on the beach there where the story of 100 soldiers holding of the japanese invasion is told. Its actually a quaint little place and on seeing the kids we took there learn a little about ww2 I confirm they knew next to EFF all before going. But if you look into this story and check the dates I think you might find it interesting.

battle of prachurb kirikan info: click here

Yes, fascinating little museum. I visited a few years ago and was able to enlighten the "guide" there about her own museum.

The Japanese landed in the town of Prachuap Khiri Khan with no difficulty, but were seen landing on the beach around the high peninsula and in front of the air force training base.

As the few airmen there with a few policemen began resisting, the two small trainers, armed only with light weapons, were shot down. Slowly, as the Japanese force landed, the Thai force withdrew onto the higher ground of the peninsula.

During the morning, the postmaster from Prachuap Khiri Khan arrived with a telegram from Bangkok, telling the forces to stop fighting and admit the Japanese. The leader of the resistance, thinking the telegram was a Japanese forgery, ripped it up and insisted on continuing the fight. It was several hours later before he could be convinced that the telegram was legitimate.

There were 32 (as I remember) Thais killed during this action, including one young boy who was carrying messages and ammunition for the Thai forces. He was posthumously awarded an airforce rank.

There is no definite information regarding the number of Japanese who died during this action, but it seems several hundred is reasonable. Many of them died in the heavy surf, landing with full battle packs. And there had been no "softening" of the landing area, as the Japanese thought they would be welcomed (as they were in the other landing areas - well, most of them - some fighting in Chumphon, as well) and had no heavy weapons with them.

source?

i wonder if anyone knows about the story of the Thai dental students in WW2.

They had gone to the Philippines to learn dentistry when they were captured by the Americans who imprisoned them on the grounds that Thailand had joined the Japanese in the war.

After negotiations with the Thai authorities who pointed out the students had no part in the war, they were released and put on a merchant ship laden with soya beans traveling to Thailand.

The merchant ship proceeded very slowly due to the heavy weight of the cargo, consequently the students dumped the soya beans overboard to increase speed.

This action is believed to have saved their lives, for the boat was subsequently bombed, but the coordinates had been wrongly calculated by the aircraft bomber as the boat had moved faster than anticipated due to the shedding of its load.

The Filipino captain felt it was too dangerous to continue and headed for a nearby island, the Thai students eventually made it back to Thailand a few months later.

The group of dentistry students eventually graduated in Thailand and became known as the เรือเเตก contingent, meeting up every year for reunions.

....has this story details been whispered by the soy bean ghost?

The daughter of one of the dental students told me the story a while ago. Her father, one of the survivors, is still alive today.

We Thai was NEVER occupied. Don't let any Farang tell you otherwise.

Thailand was at war. Thailand lost the war. Thailand surrendered.

Thailand was occupied by the British Army during 1946. And don't let any Thai's tell you otherwise.

Er... you do know that Thailand DID fight against JApan in WW2.

Take a trip to Ao Manao, Prachurup kirikan. There is a military museum on the beach there where the story of 100 soldiers holding of the japanese invasion is told. Its actually a quaint little place and on seeing the kids we took there learn a little about ww2 I confirm they knew next to EFF all before going. But if you look into this story and check the dates I think you might find it interesting.

Yes, fascinating little museum. I visited a few years ago and was able to enlighten the "guide" there about her own museum.

The Japanese landed in the town of Prachuap Khiri Khan with no difficulty, but were seen landing on the beach around the high peninsula and in front of the air force training base.

As the few airmen there with a few policemen began resisting, the two small trainers, armed only with light weapons, were shot down. Slowly, as the Japanese force landed, the Thai force withdrew onto the higher ground of the peninsula.

During the morning, the postmaster from Prachuap Khiri Khan arrived with a telegram from Bangkok, telling the forces to stop fighting and admit the Japanese. The leader of the resistance, thinking the telegram was a Japanese forgery, ripped it up and insisted on continuing the fight. It was several hours later before he could be convinced that the telegram was legitimate.

There were 32 (as I remember) Thais killed during this action, including one young boy who was carrying messages and ammunition for the Thai forces. He was posthumously awarded an airforce rank.

There is no definite information regarding the number of Japanese who died during this action, but it seems several hundred is reasonable. Many of them died in the heavy surf, landing with full battle packs. And there had been no "softening" of the landing area, as the Japanese thought they would be welcomed (as they were in the other landing areas - well, most of them - some fighting in Chumphon, as well) and had no heavy weapons with them.

source?

Well, I personally visited the museum, so for that report, the source is myself, personal experience. As for the number of Thais killed during the action, I walked, several times, around the memorial there, counting the stones and names.

As for the rest, extensive reading and interviews with people who were youths at the time. (I could list a number of recommended readings if anyone is interested.) I deliberately did not take notes or keep a bibliography. It horrified Dr. Chaiwat Khamchoo (a professor at Chulalalongorn, or at least he was when last I spoke to him a few years ago) but as I explained to him at the time, I'm doing all my research for myself. If I ended up with a large stack of notes, I'd feel obligated to "do something" with it. As it is, it's available to anyone who pushes the right buttons, and maybe buys me a beer! rolleyes.gif

Thailand in WW2.

Thailand responded pragmatically to the military and political pressures of World War II. When sporadic fighting broke out between Thai and French forces along Thailand's eastern frontier in late 1940 and early 1941, Japan used its influence with the Vichy regime in France to obtain concessions for Thailand. As a result, France agreed in March 1941 to cede 54,000 square kilometers of Laotian territory west of the Mekong and most of the Cambodian province of Battambang to Thailand. The recovery of this lost territory and the regime's apparent victory over a European colonial power greatly enhanced Phibun's reputation.

Then, on December 8, 1941, after several hours of fighting between Thai and Japanese troops at Chumphon, Thailand had to accede to Japanese demands for access through the country for Japanese forces invading Burma and Malaya. Phibun assured the country that the Japanese action was prearranged with a sympathetic Thai government. Later in the month Phibun signed a mutual defense pact with Japan. Pridi resigned from the cabinet in protest but subsequently accepted the nonpolitical position of regent for the absent Ananda Mahidol.

Under pressure from Japan, the Phibun regime declared war on Britain and the United States in January 1942, but the Thai ambassador in Washington, Seni Pramoj, refused to deliver the declaration to the United States government. Accordingly, the United States refrained from declaring war on Thailand. With American assistance Seni, a conservative aristocrat whose anti Japanese credentials were well established, organized the Free Thai Movement, recruiting Thai students in the United States to work with the United States Office of Strategic Services (OSS). The OSS trained Thai personnel for underground activities, and units were readied to infiltrate Thailand. From the office of the regent in Thailand, Pridi ran a clandestine movement that by the end of the war had with Allied aid armed more than 50,000 Thai to resist the Japanese.

Thailand was rewarded for Phibun's close cooperation with Japan during the early years of war with the return of further territory that had once been under Bangkok's control, including portions of the Shan states in Burma and the four northernmost Malay states. Japan meanwhile had stationed 150,000 troops on Thai soil and built the infamous "death railway" through Thailand using Allied prisoners of war.

As the war dragged on, however, the Japanese presence grew more irksome. Trade came to a halt, and Japanese military personnel requisitioning supplies increasingly dealt with Thailand as a conquered territory rather than as an ally. Allied bombing raids damaged Bangkok and other targets and caused several thousand casualties. Public opinion and, even more important, the sympathies of the civilian political elite, moved perceptibly against the Phibun regime and the military. In June 1944, Phibun was forced from office and replaced by the first predominantly civilian government since the 1932 coup.

Source: US Library of Congress.

Edited by electau

Thailand in WW2.

Thailand responded pragmatically to the military and political pressures of World War II. When sporadic fighting broke out between Thai and French forces along Thailand's eastern frontier in late 1940 and early 1941, Japan used its influence with the Vichy regime in France to obtain concessions for Thailand. As a result, France agreed in March 1941 to cede 54,000 square kilometers of Laotian territory west of the Mekong and most of the Cambodian province of Battambang to Thailand. The recovery of this lost territory and the regime's apparent victory over a European colonial power greatly enhanced Phibun's reputation.

Then, on December 8, 1941, after several hours of fighting between Thai and Japanese troops at Chumphon, Thailand had to accede to Japanese demands for access through the country for Japanese forces invading Burma and Malaya. Phibun assured the country that the Japanese action was prearranged with a sympathetic Thai government. Later in the month Phibun signed a mutual defense pact with Japan. Pridi resigned from the cabinet in protest but subsequently accepted the nonpolitical position of regent for the absent Ananda Mahidol.

Under pressure from Japan, the Phibun regime declared war on Britain and the United States in January 1942, but the Thai ambassador in Washington, Seni Pramoj, refused to deliver the declaration to the United States government. Accordingly, the United States refrained from declaring war on Thailand. With American assistance Seni, a conservative aristocrat whose anti Japanese credentials were well established, organized the Free Thai Movement, recruiting Thai students in the United States to work with the United States Office of Strategic Services (OSS). The OSS trained Thai personnel for underground activities, and units were readied to infiltrate Thailand. From the office of the regent in Thailand, Pridi ran a clandestine movement that by the end of the war had with Allied aid armed more than 50,000 Thai to resist the Japanese.

Thailand was rewarded for Phibun's close cooperation with Japan during the early years of war with the return of further territory that had once been under Bangkok's control, including portions of the Shan states in Burma and the four northernmost Malay states. Japan meanwhile had stationed 150,000 troops on Thai soil and built the infamous "death railway" through Thailand using Allied prisoners of war.

As the war dragged on, however, the Japanese presence grew more irksome. Trade came to a halt, and Japanese military personnel requisitioning supplies increasingly dealt with Thailand as a conquered territory rather than as an ally. Allied bombing raids damaged Bangkok and other targets and caused several thousand casualties. Public opinion and, even more important, the sympathies of the civilian political elite, moved perceptibly against the Phibun regime and the military. In June 1944, Phibun was forced from office and replaced by the first predominantly civilian government since the 1932 coup.

Who am I to argue with the library of congress but perhaps you could give us some examples of what the 50,000 Seri Thai did during the war and when.

Are you, to use an old Australian expression, taking the piss or is it that you have a poor knowledge of your own history?

You should rephrase that as we Thai was never occupied by a western colonial power.

Back in the thirteenth century the greater part of what was then known as Siam was a possession of the Khmer Empire was it not? And, for a good one hundred years or so. If that's not occupation then please tell me what is.

The Japanese occupied Thailand for the greater part of world war 2 as well.

To be fair to you the word you should be using is not occupied but COLONISED.

Are you, to use an old Australian expression, taking the piss or is it that you have a poor knowledge of your own history?

You should rephrase that as we Thai was never occupied by a western colonial power.

Back in the thirteenth century the greater part of what was then known as Siam was a possession of the Khmer Empire was it not? And, for a good one hundred years or so. If that's not occupation then please tell me what is.

If the Americans didn’t occupy Australia during WW II then the Japanese didn’t occupy Thailand.

Thailand was occupied by the Brits for one year 1946.

If the Americans didn't occupy Australia during WW II then the Japanese didn't occupy Thailand.

The yanks may have occupied Melbourne and Brisbane for a while but that was about it. Most of them were invited down there for R & R during the Pacific campaign. The Japs, as you are well aware, occupied most of Thailand for most of world war two and were carrying out major infrastructure works to aid their campaign against the allied forces. Big difference really isn't it?

So how much of Thailand did the British occupy? Was the occupation widespread (throughout all provinces) or was it just in Bangkok? What were the troop numbers? If it was only a relatively small contingent in BKK then it wasn't much of an occupation was it?

If the Americans didn't occupy Australia during WW II then the Japanese didn't occupy Thailand.

The yanks may have occupied Melbourne and Brisbane for a while but that was about it. Most of them were invited down there for R & R during the Pacific campaign. The Japs, as you are well aware, occupied most of Thailand for most of world war two and were carrying out major infrastructure works to aid their campaign against the allied forces. Big difference really isn't it?

So how much of Thailand did the British occupy? Was the occupation widespread (throughout all provinces) or was it just in Bangkok? What were the troop numbers? If it was only a relatively small contingent in BKK then it wasn't much of an occupation was it?

Occupation is a word used when a foreign power during or after a war occupies the enemy country.

The Japanese and the Thais were allies as many posts in this thread attest to. The Americans did not occupy Australia because Australia and America were not at war. The Brits did occupy Thailand because Thailand was at war with the Brits and was defeated. The Americans occupied Japan and the Brits occupied Thailand.

Thailand in WW2.

America armed 50,000 Thais! That is an absurd number. The Seri Thai were closer to 8000. Gee it only took 65,000 Japanese troops to take Singapore! The whole Thai Army was about 50,000 troops.

Are you all historians specializing in South East Asian Countries reactions to Japanese Empire building ?

Or are Google search and Wikipedia getting a hammering ?

My father was in naval intelligence during WW II specializing in raw material in the Asian theater among other things. Not a James Bond type at all. Endless lists of commodities and shipping logs and the nuts and bolts stuff that make up the normal agenda of an intelligence analyst. I am writing a story about it. I also wrote for newspapers in Asia during the Vietnam war.

This has been a nice civil discussion and I have learned something from reading it. Whatever the reasons for choosing the path that it took, it sounds as if Thailand came through the war fairly well as compared to the countries around it. I would be interested in reading a follow-up on the British occupancy period.