How Has Thailand Changed Your Eating Habits?

Neeranam

Khow neow - the glutinous rice - excellent stuff , I eat it with many dishes ( I have actually tried it on a weird club sandwich :o )

I have never been that partial to som tam - not too much substance to it.

cow pad moo (gai) - pad see hew - lup moo .. all very nice

I do like to have some western food every now and then , but as there is a big c , tesco , carre four just up chaeng wattana road the ingredients are easy to get.

I don't think I could eat totally thai without missing some western grub.

I gained major face with the inlaws, I caught a huge snake and brought it

home to Bar-B-que up. Even the neighbors were talking about "Falang get snake".

Of course i did the obligatory "chase the kids around terrorizing them with the

poor thing".

I think I am losing it.

Sorry can't type in Thai at work as I can't gain access to the settings. 'koat' as you've spelt it 'kort' as others do (sala 'o', kor kwai, raw reau, tor tao) , is b.l.o.o.d.y in English not the f- word, if that's what you typed.

Same here I am at work and can't type Thai. That's not the way I spell, "coat", or "khoht". Must disagree with you and say that many Thai English speakers that I know who have worked in Uk say it is like "<deleted> delicious". Let's here from the Thai experts, K.Yoot, sabaijai, ramdom, snowlepord etc :o

Edited by Neeranam

After some time I found myself eating less and less farrang food, now it's practically nil. I don't get fat, I feel good and my wallet feels good too!

The other day I binged out on western food and was farting for a week!

Sorry can't type in Thai at work as I can't gain access to the settings. 'koat' as you've spelt it 'kort' as others do (sala 'o', kor kwai, raw reau, tor tao) , is b.l.o.o.d.y in English not the f- word, if that's what you typed.

Same here I am at work and can't type Thai. That's not the way I spell, "coat", or "khoht". Must disagree with you and say that many Thai English speakers that I know who have worked in Uk say it is like "<deleted> delicious". Let's here from the Thai experts, K.Yoot, sabaijai, ramdom, snowlepord etc :o

While honord to be included in such exalted company, I'm by no means an expert, can't even read or write the language.

I've always translated it as "<deleted>" as in "<deleted> delicious". Fine line between that and "blo#dy delicious" though. Would 'nt really want to argue the point ....sure someone will though :D

Hi Peace Blondie , welcome back . Hope your feeling better.

For me I like spicy food . Some of the Issan ( korat ) food will give me a go but for the most part I love Thai food . What I do not like is that they never take the heads & legs off ! Its just not appealing that way, to me . However I did bring a huge " Weber grill " home from the states & now I can have a real BBQ when Im in the mood for farang style .

Same here I am at work and can't type Thai. That's not the way I spell, "coat", or "khoht". Must disagree with you and say that many Thai English speakers that I know who have worked in Uk say it is like "<deleted> delicious". Let's here from the Thai experts, K.Yoot, sabaijai, ramdom, snowlepord etc

โคตร is how you spell it.or Dtaw dtao comes before Raw reua, making the silent.

Edited by Neeranam

I can't stand Thai food - much too spicy, smells and tastes bad, too.  Other than kaow phat gai and fried chicken/almonds/mushrooms and a few veggies, and fruit, I have to eat Western.

This brings to one's mind the thought of a blind man in an art gallery, except he would have an excuse.

Thai cookery must rate as one of the most sophisticated and subtle in the world. Like the French, the all Thais take their food really seriously. It is not just a matter of Chillies (introduced by Europeans).

Spicy is word misused a lot here; it means flavoured or fragranced with spice; pungent, aromatic; piquant. NOT simply hot! - Although that appears to be what most people here seem to mean.

Many Thai people don’t like lots of chilli in their food and that is certainly not what Thai food is all about. Issan food has a reputation for that but that is only one region.

From a dietary point of view it is much better for you than western food.

I own a Weber kettle, and what is my favourite? BBQ Duck!

Thai cookery must rate as one of the most sophisticated and subtle in the world. Like the French, the all Thais take their food really seriously. It is not just a matter of Chillies (introduced by Europeans).

Spicy is word misused a lot here; it means flavoured or fragranced with spice; pungent, aromatic; piquant. NOT simply hot! - Although that appears to be what most people here seem to mean.

Yes, that's my problem... I'm a simple boy who wants food to knock my socks off and not be subtle. The kind who would violate his father's carefully grilled beef with hot sauce... :D The only French food I've ever really enjoyed were some of the rustic stews that had a richness though I wouldn't go so far as to call it spicy. Likewise, I only really seem to like the fragrant Thai foods which are a frustratingly small part of the menu here as far as I have seen so far.

It doesn't help that I love spiciness like in Indian food and also have a taste for chilis that can exceed the limits of parts after the tasting... :o

Wilko, I didn't think God had died and left you in charge. I made a simple, personal opinion, to which Jeff1 notes my recent injuries and continues, "As for me." You come on as some authority who decrees what is true. I don't care if you earn a million quid a year as the president of the International Cuisine Judgers.

I can't stand Thai food - much too spicy, smells and tastes bad, too.  Other than kaow phat gai and fried chicken/almonds/mushrooms and a few veggies, and fruit, I have to eat Western.

This brings to one's mind the thought of a blind man in an art gallery, except he would have an excuse.

For my taste buds and palate, most Thai food is entirely, ridiculously hot/spicy/picante. It literally causes pain. I am not a masochist; I must enjoy what I eat. I eat in order to live, not vice versa.

I am not cuisinely blind; I've had any number of nasty Thai foods foisted upon me, and those that didn't burn usually turned my stomach due to their taste or smell. It's just a personal opinion.

You seem pompous when you write, "Thai cookery must rate as one of..." I don't care if the food experts have burned their mouth to extinction; Thai food burns my mouth and I avoid it like the plague. Some iof the 'armotic, pungent, etc.' aspects of Thai food spoil my day. 'Piquant' is close to the Spanish word for 'stab with knife.'

Chiles may have been introduced by Europeans, but they were probably developed by the original inhabitants of MesoAmerica. I never ate 'picante' in Mexico or Texas, either.

Has living in Thailand changed my eating habits? No. It has taught me, however, that Thais and some farang are much too serious about food. Mai bpen rai - food is not important. :o

Absolutely agree, people spend too much time thinking about food and take it too seriously.

BUT my 2 favourite meals are

omelette with cha-om and nam phrik gaphi (can't spell it and don't have Thai on computer)

& nam phrik kha and yam manoon

Both if made properly come highly recommended - try sometime!

First one with ordinary rice and second one with sticky rice.

Ah food.

There are lots of people who feel that food is just fuel.

I certainly am not one of them. I am very glad of that, because tasty food and drink are a wonderful pleasure of life, and it seems to be a particularly human thing (otherwise, how do you explain how dogs are very happy with the same dry kibble everyday)?

There have been studies about how some people are "super tasters" and some people hardly taste anything, and of course most people fall somewhere in between.

I know in Mexico mothers feed hot chilies to their babies so of course it is a rare adult Mexican who doesn't like or can't tolerate chilies.

Edited by Thaiquila

Twnty five years ago when I first arrived in Thailand a Thai student I knew wanted to go back to his village near Fang in the north. I suggested that we take my motorcycle and we spent a couple of weeks at his parents house in a very small village. The problem was that the food was so bizzar that I couldn't eat any of it.

Finally I found a noodle dish that was really great and proceded to scarf down 3 bowels of it. I noticed that all the Thais were watching me rather intently so I asked my friend if I was doing anything wrong. The answer was "Oh no, we just never met a Farang who liked chicken intestines so much!" :o

The great thing about Thailand is that the Thais seem to be able to bring most any cusine into there culture (Indian, Muslim, Japanese etc.) and improve it. The variety is unbelivable!

• Like 1