Some Advice On Chiang Mai Please

afx

I’m new to the Chiang Mai forum as I live in Phuket andsometimes post there.

I’m planning a 10 day trip to Chiang Mai (my first) andwanted some advice. I’m plan to move to Chiang Mai having lived in Phuket for ayear, which is enough for me. I was hoping to glean some advice on differentareas and what each one has to offer.

I currently live in Chalong in Phuket which IMO is one ofthe best places to live in Phuket, very central to many nice beaches and activities.Also I like that it is not a tourist area (you won’t get hassled for a suithere) and there are a good mix of expats and Thais that are used to livingamongst farangs. There are some tourists, but nothing like Kata, Karon orPatong and this why I like the area. I was hoping to find a similar place in ChiangMai and wondered which areas to consider.

A list of pro’s and cons and activities each area has tooffer would be great.

I will get a guide book and trawl the web to make sure Icram as much in as I can in the 10 days but if anyone wants to chime in withwhat is a must see / must do for a first time visitor that would be muchappreciated too.

Also any hotel recommendations that are well situated with Wifi/ ADSL welcome.

I plan to search the forum to get answers to some of myquestions as I’m sure they’ve been asked before, but just posting this threadto get a current perspective on Chiang Mai.

Thank you in advance.

Try Baan Thai resort & spa, centrally located near the night bazaar. Google their web site. Nice Thai style architecture, has a good size swimming pool, and various accommodations, including a standalone villa which can be rented long term for 20,000 (baht) a month. Lanna ville may have some houses for rent. This area has a mixture of foreigners and middle class Thai's. Good, safe place to live, not too far from central Chiang Mai. Several Ex-pat clubs are available to meet like minded people. Check out Chiang Mai magazine, which is a good resource to peruse for sights and sounds of the city. Many interesting cultural activities here. As a big city, you can find nearly everything you want in Chiang Mai. Good restaurants from cheap to expensive, good shopping, great movie complex at the Central Airport plaza, etc. Taxi's and tuk-tuk's everywhere, so getting around is no problem. Taxi's more expensive than tuk-tuk's, of course, but the drivers, by and large, are honest and won't rip you off. Good Luck!

Emporium Residence in Santhitham Road, 400bht a night inc or 5,500bht a month plus utils

wifi, fridge, balcony, sink, cable Tv, air-con

http://www.emporiumchiangmai.com/

In a very busy student area packed with shops, bars and eating places ..... very few tourists.

Close to Gat Suen Gow shopping Plaza

You need a m/c to get around though (or a car there is undercover parking provided)

Try Baan Thai resort & spa, centrally located near the night bazaar. Google their web site. Nice Thai style architecture, has a good size swimming pool, and various accommodations, including a standalone villa which can be rented long term for 20,000 (baht) a month. Lanna ville may have some houses for rent. This area has a mixture of foreigners and middle class Thai's. Good, safe place to live, not too far from central Chiang Mai. Several Ex-pat clubs are available to meet like minded people. Check out Chiang Mai magazine, which is a good resource to peruse for sights and sounds of the city. Many interesting cultural activities here. As a big city, you can find nearly everything you want in Chiang Mai. Good restaurants from cheap to expensive, good shopping, great movie complex at the Central Airport plaza, etc. Taxi's and tuk-tuk's everywhere, so getting around is no problem. Taxi's more expensive than tuk-tuk's, of course, but the drivers, by and large, are honest and won't rip you off. Good Luck!

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, will check it out.

Emporium Residence in Santhitham Road, 400bht a night inc or 5,500bht a month plus utils

wifi, fridge, balcony, sink, cable Tv, air-con

http://www.emporiumchiangmai.com/

In a very busy student area packed with shops, bars and eating places ..... very few tourists.

Close to Gat Suen Gow shopping Plaza

You need a m/c to get around though (or a car there is undercover parking provided)

Santhitham is a great area - lots of little places to venture into.

Some will say it's seedy, but there is certainly a lot of character around that area.....quite exciting.

Some senior members should set up an ebook you can download on good advice in chiang mai guide.

I think ched yod is a very good area to live not as busy as Santhitham as when i lived in Santhitham i had students move in next door to me one day i counted 86 bikes outside my house and could not get my bike in my driveway also had an issan family next door who were fighting each other with knifes this carried on for 4 months while my wife was pregnant until i could not take anymore so we moved to ched jod.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun AFX,

Welcome to Chiang Mai !

We think you might get some more "sharply defined" responses if you say a bit more about what you expect to find, or hope to find, in Chiang Mai; we do have some clue about what you like where you are now in Chalong in Phuket, but what don't you like about where you are now ?

Your age, marital/partner status, with-or-without children, budget, and lifestyle would have a big influence on any advice we'd give you, as would your possible needs or desires for access to schools (for kids, for you, for significant other), fitness centers, night-life venues from hi-so to lo-so, libraries, etc. And personal preferences: surrounded by nature or in the midst of city life ? Willing to live farther out from the city ? Have a car so driving into the city in rain is not a "game of chicken" with death ?

best, ~o:37;

Don't want to sound too negative here....but,

Do some research on this forum about the March smoke problem in Chiang Mai. It certainly bothers some (myself included), whilst others tolerate it without complaint. A visit to CM at the moment when things are beautiful will give a very different impression to what you would find here in March.

Don't want to sound too negative here....but,

Do some research on this forum about the March smoke problem in Chiang Mai. It certainly bothers some (myself included), whilst others tolerate it without complaint. A visit to CM at the moment when things are beautiful will give a very different impression to what you would find here in March.

But of course that would be a great time to revisit his old haunts in phuket and old friends there...

As for me, for at least ten or eleven months of the year chiang mai is a top top place to be spending one's time through life.

afx, i think you've made an excellent choice, and you're going to find prices here from another planet, never mind any 'hassles' you get from locals. It just isn't really like that. Locals are great, most farangs living here are great, and most of the farangs visiting are fine too. It's a very chilled town, artistic and bohemian, the food's great - thai and all manner of farang kinds.

I call chiang mai an adventure playground surrounded by a natural wonderland. Must be one of the truly great places in the world to live, all in all.

As for places to stay, anywhere in the old town (ie inside the four moats) will give you a sense of the culture and pace of life that used to be, and often still is. Down some of the sois off tha pae road i think you find some great places. One mate from bkk who comes up stays somewhere down the first loy kroh soi (walking against traffic, starting from moat, turn right at first soi) past the well-known and liked number one bar. It has wifi because he always needs that.

After years here i could still discover new things every day if i had the time. As it is, probably like many farang living here, i have loads of great places i return to all the time, and enjoy finding new places as and when.

Not too big, not too small.

It's only really missing a beach...

Edited by femi fan

Personally, I wouldn't even consider living anywhere but Chiang Mai. As mentioned previously, the people really are great, so much different than those down south that it's like being an a whole other country. Prices are good, and except for the smoke in March, which doesn't really bother me, it's about as perfect as you can get in my opinion. I live about 18k east of the city, but one of the things I love to do is get on my bike (CBR 150) and just head into a part of the city I've never been before to see what's there. No matter where I go, I'm always greeted with a smile that is REAL, and made to feel welcome. It may not be Paradise, but it will do just fine till Paradise comes along.

Welcome to Chiang Mai !

We think you might get some more "sharply defined" responses if you say a bit more about what you expect to find, or hope to find, in Chiang Mai; we do have some clue about what you like where you are now in Chalong in Phuket, but what don't you like about where you are now ?

Your age, marital/partner status, with-or-without children, budget, and lifestyle would have a big influence on any advice we'd give you, as would your possible needs or desires for access to schools (for kids, for you, for significant other), fitness centers, night-life venues from hi-so to lo-so, libraries, etc. And personal preferences: surrounded by nature or in the midst of city life ? Willing to live farther out from the city ? Have a car so driving into the city in rain is not a "game of chicken" with death ?

Hello Orang,

Thanks for the welcome ;-)

Ok what I don't like about Phuket / Chalong:

1) I want to escape that holiday feeling you can never get away from, yes there are plenty of locals and expats but the island on the whole is for the most part a tourist destination.

2) I hate the tuk tuk situation here ie. unusable unless you dont mind paying 400 BHT to go 150 meters). Not so fond of the murder rate here either, particulalrly in Chalong.

3) I'm tired of continual attempts to be fleeced, be it asking 70 BHT for a small water or being charged 200 BHT to use a beach owned by the king. (the justification being that the road leading to the beach is privately owned). There are many friendly people but more than enough who aren't that are quick to get agressive if you dare question the price / justification.

There isn't enough to do here IMO. Yes there are some fantastic beaches and a couple shopping centres but nothing approaching what is on offer living in or near a city.

What I do like about Chalong:

1) Perfectly located to make use of all the best beaches (although I'm more than happy to trade nice beaches for mountains, jungles and being in or near a city). Also it is not far to Central, Big C, good hospitals & Phuket city.

2) Far fewer tourists than other parts of Phuket.

3) Great food markets, but this is Thai thing on the whole so doesn't really count.

4) Good mix of expats, long term holidayers and locals.

I'm 35 and single with no kids and budget is ok to good (currently rent a house for 25K a month here). I have a car and bike and if possible I would like to find somewhere that is not too far away from the city for the added benefits this brings, but also not too far away from natural surroundings to enjoy outdoor pursuits, walking, trekking, mountain biking, dirt bikes etc. Also like nightlife at least once a week, (having the option of hi-so or lo-so would be nice). Would also like access to a good gym, a swimming pool and nice restuarants (always eat out, never cook at home). Also some decent cafes or similar venues with Wifi that aren't located in bars.

Thanks everyone for all the useful replies.

Welcome to Chiang Mai !

Hello Orang,

Thanks for the welcome ;-)

Ok what I don't like about Phuket / Chalong:

1) I want to escape that holiday feeling you can never get away from, yes there are plenty of locals and expats but the island on the whole is for the most part a tourist destination.

2) I hate the tuk tuk situation here ie. unusable unless you dont mind paying 400 BHT to go 150 meters). Not so fond of the murder rate here either, particulalrly in Chalong.

3) I'm tired of continual attempts to be fleeced, be it asking 70 BHT for a small water or being charged 200 BHT to use a beach owned by the king. (the justification being that the road leading to the beach is privately owned). There are many friendly people but more than enough who aren't that are quick to get agressive if you dare question the price / justification.

There isn't enough to do here IMO. Yes there are some fantastic beaches and a couple shopping centres but nothing approaching what is on offer living in or near a city.

What I do like about Chalong:

1) Perfectly located to make use of all the best beaches (although I'm more than happy to trade nice beaches for mountains, jungles and being in or near a city). Also it is not far to Central, Big C, good hospitals & Phuket city.

2) Far fewer tourists than other parts of Phuket.

3) Great food markets, but this is Thai thing on the whole so doesn't really count.

4) Good mix of expats, long term holidayers and locals.

I'm 35 and single with no kids and budget is ok to good (currently rent a house for 25K a month here). I have a car and bike and if possible I would like to find somewhere that is not too far away from the city for the added benefits this brings, but also not too far away from natural surroundings to enjoy outdoor pursuits, walking, trekking, mountain biking, dirt bikes etc. Also like nightlife at least once a week, (having the option of hi-so or lo-so would be nice). Would also like access to a good gym, a swimming pool and nice restuarants (always eat out, never cook at home). Also some decent cafes or similar venues with Wifi that aren't located in bars.

Thanks everyone for all the useful replies.

A single guy could rent three decent houses here for 25K. :)

Personally, I wouldn't even consider living anywhere but Chiang Mai. As mentioned previously, the people really are great, so much different than those down south that it's like being an a whole other country.

Yes, CM really is great, but careful not to lump everywhere 'down south' in with the Phuket mentality. Spent a couple/three years in Songkhla (southeast) and that is one cool, unique town. The locals there are generally top-notch and things are/were cheap as. Have also lived in Phuket, which is chalk 'n cheese with Songkhla, and of course here.

Reckon I'd get up somewhere around Nimbleheadman or Suthep (west of town) if I were single.

Ok, if you're looking for someplace temporary, until you can find something more permanent, you might want to check this out: http://www.huaykaewresidence.com/ Or if the mods won't allow the link, just google Huay Kaew Residence. They have different room options available, and even though this is the start of "High Season", the prices aren't all that bad. Some of the benefits is that it is right next door to Kad Suan Kaew Mall, where there is a Tops Supermarket on the ground floor that has a fairly decent selection of "farang foods". Also has a huge pool, fitness room, wifi, aircon, and about a dozen little shops on the ground floor from a cleaners to various little stores and markets. They usually have at least 1 person on duty who speaks passable English, and tuk-tuks and metered taxis are right outside. And I won't mention the uncountable, beautiful, single girls that seem to inhabit the place. lol. Basically it's close to everything you could want on a temporary basis, and a good place to be centrally located to start looking at other options. And there's plenty of parking for car & bike. I've often told my wife that if she ever kicks me out, that's where I'm moving to.

Ok, if you're looking for someplace temporary, until you can find something more permanent, you might want to check this out: http://www.huaykaewresidence.com/ Or if the mods won't allow the link, just google Huay Kaew Residence. They have different room options available, and even though this is the start of "High Season", the prices aren't all that bad. Some of the benefits is that it is right next door to Kad Suan Kaew Mall, where there is a Tops Supermarket on the ground floor that has a fairly decent selection of "farang foods". Also has a huge pool, fitness room, wifi, aircon, and about a dozen little shops on the ground floor from a cleaners to various little stores and markets. They usually have at least 1 person on duty who speaks passable English, and tuk-tuks and metered taxis are right outside. And I won't mention the uncountable, beautiful, single girls that seem to inhabit the place. lol. Basically it's close to everything you could want on a temporary basis, and a good place to be centrally located to start looking at other options. And there's plenty of parking for car & bike. I've often told my wife that if she ever kicks me out, that's where I'm moving to.

Oh please... if there is 1 place I wouldn't recommend then it would be this place...blink.gif

I am very sorry Just1voice, but I really don't agree with you.

My best friend stayed there for 3 months... pool...euhm...40 baht to use it and close at 7pm (I believe). And it is located between cars and bikes and fenced. You feel like a chicken.

The pics on website are not nearly what it looks like in real.

He paid I believe 4,5 K per month (not the cheapest one). Internet...was ...annoying.. HK Res =Blocks of buildings, limited view.

big plusses: nice security, good breakfast place below, massagesalon, laundry, facilities are very convenient.

He chose HK Res. because it was convenient and nearby everything. But he wouldn't want to stay there again.

I stayed 1 month at Baan Thai (Nimmh.) only rooms, great bathroom, but huge pool (til 8pm), but no facilities, but everything is very nearby.

If you stay there, don't stay at the side of the Gym. Because next to the Gym is a disco/nightclub that does it's thing til 2-3 am.

Personally I am not very crazy about these areas, too busy and popular. I stayed at Wat Chet Yod area, which I liked very much. Santitham is lively but nice.

I find Chiang Mai laid back, nothing like the crowdy parts of Phuket. I don't feel like a tourist or foreigner -grinse-. And in 15 min. you can reach any part of the centre or nature. Perfect. So on this, Just1voice, I do agree with you smile.gif

Edited by Soulwy

From my standpoint there has been good advice so far. I choose Chiang Mai over every other part of Thailand because of its variety. It's not too big and not too small. There is lots for English speaking people to do. If someone is fluent in Thai then I would expand the horizons to other cities, but too many rural communities in Thailand are ONLY Thai speaking. That is not the case in Chiang Mai. There are good bands playing nightly and too many fine restaurants to mention. Within a 15 minute ride from anywhere in the city you can be on a semi-wilderness hiking trail. There is a local lake about a half hour out of town that has reasonable swimming and dining. It's not as good as a ocean beach, but almost as pleasant. And, there is a tiny, bar scene on Loi Kroh road if that is your pleasure. Sections of Chiang Mai close down on specific weekend evenings for night markets that are kind of crazy but fun.

As already mentioned, there is a smoky-smog season in March that is a bit annoying, but that can be avoided by booking holidays elsewhere.

Good info in this thread. I would like to hear more about recommended areas to stay. Especially would be interested in nice, relaxed, peaceful location not too far from the town centre. Hotel or apartments with reasonable monthly rates for three months stay. Baan Thai resort looks nice.

Edited by greytown

If you google "Chiang Mai Apartments" you'll come up with a number of very nice places, especially the serviced apartments. All of them list their amenities, which can vary from place to place, so you have a good idea of what there is. I think the main thing is, wherever you choose, C.M. is a good place to live for a lot of reasons.

So, good luck and welcome to Chiang Mai.

If you google "Chiang Mai Apartments" you'll come up with a number of very nice places, especially the serviced apartments. All of them list their amenities, which can vary from place to place, so you have a good idea of what there is. I think the main thing is, wherever you choose, C.M. is a good place to live for a lot of reasons.

Any areas of Chiang Mai (north south east west) more desirable than others?

You will get different opinions on that. I live about 18 k east in the direction of San Kamphaeng, in a relatively new, but small moo ban, and love where I'm at. Tesco/Lotus, Big C, Carrfour, Macro all within 10-15 minute drive from my house.

Thanks for all the advice. Now booked up for 10 nights at the end of this month. I'm staying in Soi 3, Tha Pae Road, Chang Klan. I believe this is in the same area as the night bazaar and hopefully not too far from places of interest, restuarants, farang bars and things to do in that area etc.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider living anywhere but Chiang Mai. As mentioned previously, the people really are great, so much different than those down south that it's like being an a whole other country. Prices are good, and except for the smoke in March, which doesn't really bother me, it's about as perfect as you can get in my opinion. I live about 18k east of the city, but one of the things I love to do is get on my bike (CBR 150) and just head into a part of the city I've never been before to see what's there. No matter where I go, I'm always greeted with a smile that is REAL, and made to feel welcome. It may not be Paradise, but it will do just fine till Paradise comes along.

Well said except Chiang Mai is my Paradise so my roots have been planted here.;)

Center. And West.

(This is assuming you mean Chiang Mai the town, not the province.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Center. And West.

(This is assuming you mean Chiang Mai the town, not the province.)

Thanks. Yes I meant the town (and surrounding areas).