Legal Recorse

Khun Larry

Yes it is a tale of Jewelry rip off. YAWNNNNNNNNNN

My apologies in advance.

Breaking my golden rule "never to pay in advance in Thailand", I paid up front 45,000 baht for a Ruby eternity band from a "long time farang friend". I have purchased some stones from him before and was very satisfied.

This type of ring cannot be sized up or down so I had him make a sample first in silver. Fit was great, size 4. The actual ring arrives, size 5. As my gf is a gemologist in NY she said immediately he used two different molds,. probably to save $$ on gold. It is a beautiful ring but a bit too big.

Naturally, in typical long term penniless farang fashion, his response was "I told you it would be larger".

What the F***, and people wonder why I am such a cynic.

Anyway, is there any recourse, legal or "otherwise" that comes to mind?

Also, will someone please tell me: "KNOW THE GAME KHUN LARRY"

That was my first question but guess he means the outer size remained the same but the hole is larger so less gold used. I really can't imagine anyone using that as a "scam" however. One size change would not be very many baht worth of gold.

Edited by lopburi3

Scamed by a farang in Thailand? That's a switch. What country was he from? Next time get his passport #.

He is from the States but has lived in BKK for 10 years. What use is the passport #?

The original sample was more mass than the final product. I don't mind that if the size was good. Anyway, to save the money maybe a different mold was used which made the whole process of making the sample useless as the sample is meant to confirm the mold specs.

I have known this guy for several years so I was completely surprised about his ethics. It is extremely annoying being ripped off by low life scum. Probably a good reminder as to the quality of jokers around town.

I have known this guy for several years so I was completely surprised about his ethics. It is extremely annoying being ripped off by low life scum. Probably a good reminder as to the quality of jokers around town.

We obtained police intervention and the felon was glad to return our money after a few words with the law. A gift of 33% to their retirement fund :o