Australians Are Flocking To Thailand

george

Aussies return to tsunami-hit Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Australians are flocking to Thailand as it recovers from the Boxing Day tsunami - bucking a trend that has seen a massive drop in visitors from Europe, the US, South Korea and China.

Thailand's tourism authority said visitor numbers from Australia and New Zealand in the first four months of this year had increased by 2.76 per cent compared with 142,770 arrivals recorded for the same period in 2004.

In contrast, European arrivals fell to just 1,010,414 - down by 8.48 per cent, and there was a slight decrease of 0.69 per cent in the number of Americans - 280,260.

There were fewer travellers from the Middle East, too, with figures showing a decrease of 10.02 per cent on last year's 72,478.

Korean visitors this year decreased in number from 323,079 last year to 269,713 to the end of April, but China also provided far fewer tourists for the Thai market with 246,798 arrivals - a drop of 19.94 per cent.

The latest statistics for arrivals at all ports of entry up to April this year show that the country received a total of 3,475,135 visitors, down 9.48 per cent on the 3,839,065 arrivals last year.

But despite this bleak news the TAT will keep its 2006 target for international arrival at 15.12 million, which would generate revenue of A$35 billion.

Australia and New Zealand will be among those countries to be targeted in an advertising campaign aimed at bringing more honeymooners, female tourists and senior citizens as well as upmarket holidaymakers who, it is hoped, will help revitalise Thailand's luxury hotels hard-hit by the effects of the tsunami.

--AAP 2005-07-19

You can always rely on an Aussie  :D

can't wait for that big day in September  :D

the rugby league grand final , leith ?? -- :o:D:D:D

I don't suppose the tourist ariival increase has anything to do with the strength of the AUS and KIWI dollar against the baht?

I don't suppose the tourist ariival increase has anything to do with the strength of the AUS and KIWI dollar against the baht?

And I thought I was the only aussie here, hope they bring some bloody vegemite with them.

And I thought I was the only aussie here, hope they bring some bloody vegemite with them.

Can get vegemite at Villa Sukhumvit.

Yeah September. Go the Crows.......

Oh might have to do with Bali too and that Corby case.

Cc

Edited by carlthailand

I have neven known an Australian to flock anywhere except in bed, and then it's normally an effort :o

If 2.76% is 'flocking" what is the drop off in Chinese called with a drop of nearly 20% ?? :D unflockin, deflocking?

Tourism is down 9.48 per cent overall, and a time for consternation for all concerned.....