Chainsaw

paulsenp

Are chainsaws permitted in Thailand for private use?

A couple of years ago I was looking for a used chainsaw in Chanthaburi, but found that the prices were higher than for new ones in Denmark. The family needed a chainsaw for the durian orchard, so last year I bought one at home, and my wife brought it to Thailand. Later someone told me that chainsaws are forbidden for private use in Thailand.

Does anyone here know the answer?

Had a massive mango tree the garden that wasn't cropping well so wanted it taken down.Asked around for someone with a chainsaw and got told no one has a chainsaw now police no like.Illegal logging has removed virtually every sizable tree in the area.

Eventually found someone prepared to do it.He turned up with a prehistoric 2 stroke which had a huge home made silencer on it.Said he had made a fortune(to him)cutting timber in past but now could be fined just for owning it.He kept it at a friends rubber plantation way out of the village.He said he would do no more than five cuts as he would have to be gone quick!!!

We have a chain saw on the plantation. never heard anything about a permit, however, uncle is a retired admiral and not much seems to apply to him in the way of laws.

find a local wood cutter and get him to do it cheaper and easier.

if you are in Rayong i have just the man for you :o

Edited by uncle paul

A permit is required. Chain saws are a very risky adventure for farangs and are grounds for immediate deportation from the country.

There are many Thai people that have the license or have made other arrangements so they can use their saw.

I have seen several electric drills converted to chain saws by the local people to get away from the noise that the regular saws make.

I was interested in buying a saw for use in clearing some land to convert it to rice fields and was so informed by the local police. Naturally since deportation is not on my desired activity list I do not have a chain saw or intend to get one.