Apply For New Non-Ed Visa In Thailand, Possible?

I am currently staying in Thailand on a multiple entry Non-Ed visa without extension of stay meaning I have been doing border runs every 3 months. This is fine but my visa will expire next month. Now I have several options:

- apply for a new non-ed visa at immigration

- go to the closest Thai embassy or consulate that gives non-ed visa (KL I heard)

- get a 2 entry tourist visa in Phnom Pen or Lao

I would opt for the first one but is that possible? Can you get a non-ed visa in Thailand if you still have one that's about to expire? I hope so otherwise it will probably be KL or a tourist visa.

If you have been studying at the language school that provided the documents for you to obtain a ED Visa, the every 90 days they will (should) give you docuemnts to take to Immigration for 90 days permit to stay.

Edited by bapak

You can not apply for any kind of visa from Immigration, other than visa on arrival for a few countries.

If you qualify for extension of stay you can apply for a change to a non immigrant entry using TM86/87 forms.

So yes extension of stay would be relevant if you qualified as you do not need a valid visa to extend your stay. It is the permitted to stay period that is extended by Immigration.

All Consulates should issue ED visas with the correct paperwork. In most cases it will likely be single entry.

I thought extension of stay could only be applied for in the first 3 months but I can be wrong. However in my case it's not possible. The school simply does not qualify.

I heard that several people who tried to obtain a non-ed visa in Phnom Pen were unsuccesful so I'm not too sure about going there. But I can always call the embassy of course.

I thought extension of stay could only be applied for in the first 3 months but I can be wrong.

However in my case it's not possible. The school simply does not qualify.

If you meet the criteria, then you can apply for 'Extension of Permission to Stay' at your local Thai Immigration Office towards the end of any 90 day non immigrant visa entries, normally in the month preceding your 'Admitted Until' date.

I thought extension of stay could only be applied for in the first 3 months but I can be wrong.

However in my case it's not possible. The school simply does not qualify.

If you meet the criteria, then you can apply for 'Extension of Permission to Stay' at your local Thai Immigration Office towards the end of any 90 day non immigrant visa entries, normally in the month preceding your 'Admitted Until' date.

That sounds interesting. Does this "extension of permission" mean I could stay another year by keep doing visa runs every 90 days? What are the criteria? Because if they are the same as for an extension of stay then I won't get it. If it is similar to the paperwork needed for the non-ed visa then I can apply.

Do they simply change the end date of the visa with this procedure?

That sounds interesting. Does this "extension of permission" mean I could stay another year by keep doing visa runs every 90 days?

What are the criteria? Because if they are the same as for an extension of stay then I won't get it. If it is similar to the paperwork needed for the non-ed visa then I can apply.

Do they simply change the end date of the visa with this procedure?

No in answer to your first question.

In my earlier post I referred to an 'Extension of Permission to Stay'. If you are in education at a private institute in Thailand, then you apply at your local Thai Immigration department based on the cirteria quoted below.

Rules in the Consideration of Alien Applications for Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand according to clause 2 of the order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters no. 777/2551 dated on 25 November B.E.2551.

2.9 In the case of enrollment in a private educational institution: Permission will be granted for a period as confirmed by the institution but shall not be more than 1 year at a time.

Basis for Consideration

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) The particular educational institution holds a license from the competent authority to operate; and

(3) Confirmation and request has been made by that particular institution; and

(4) That particular institution is accredited by the competent authority (except in the case of enrollment in an international school or university)

Your original visa expires once you are past it's 'Enter Before' date, but this is not relevant once you have obtained an extension of permission to stay. Immigration do not alter the 'Enter Before' date on your visa.

If you leave Thailand planning to return whilst you are on an extension of permission to stay, then you must get a re-entry permit from immigration to preserve your temporary stay date; othewise you will be back to square one (as your original visa has probably already expired).

Ok then I must leave the country to get a new non-ed visa. Thank you for clearing things up. :)

Sometimes this stuff makes you wonder why they make certain things so difficult in this country compared to others. I mean, it took me quite a while to figure out the difference between the validity of visa and the permission to stay. Many people already got into trouble due to the confusion thinking they can stay longer than they should have, ending up paying a lot for overstay. Could say a lot more on this topic but that goes beyond the scope here. All I can say is that it does not make me want to stay for many more years to come and sometimes I have the idea this is exactly what they want... Too bad.

Ok then I must leave the country to get a new non-ed visa. Thank you for clearing things up. :)

Sometimes this stuff makes you wonder why they make certain things so difficult in this country compared to others. I mean, it took me quite a while to figure out the difference between the validity of visa and the permission to stay. Many people already got into trouble due to the confusion thinking they can stay longer than they should have, ending up paying a lot for overstay. Could say a lot more on this topic but that goes beyond the scope here. All I can say is that it does not make me want to stay for many more years to come and sometimes I have the idea this is exactly what they want... Too bad.

But remember, ED Visa can only be obtainedfrom a Thai Consulatee with supporting documents from a licenced language school.

But remember, ED Visa can only be obtainedfrom a Thai Consulatee with supporting documents from a licenced language school.

You are right about the supporting documents, not about the licensed language school. Any kind of school can give you a recommendation letter which really is all you need to obtain an ED visa. That's how I did it at a consulate and also quite a few others at the same school. The difference is that I cannot apply for an extension of stay because the school lacks the required registration for that but I can live with that.