Ultraportable Sony Vaio Notebooks

Hikage

Had a look at the Sony Vaio VGN-T37 (or T270P equivalent US model number) Ultraportable today and was quite impressed, but I'm green with notebooks.

Sony VAIO T270P/L Notebook

It had:

1.2 GHZ Pentium M

1GB RAM

Wireless LAN

Bluetooth

DVD Burner

60GB HDD

10.6 WXGA screen

Firewire

2 x USB

External Monitor connector

Memory stick slot

RJ-11

RJ-45

Port replicator connector

All packed into 1.38KG (~3 pounds) It's tiny!!

I did notice there was no "line in" jack so sampling analogue audio would be out I guess (actually no models I looked at had a line in) or does the mic jack double as line in switchable though software?

Also the HDD is only 4200RPM which is pretty slow for some video applications, or is this par for the course for notebooks?

Seems to be reletively cheap in TH. Saw it for 90,000 THB (2,860 AUD). Seen it advertised in Australia for 3,700 AUD. That's nearly one thousand Australian dollars cheaper.

Any experiences with these or any reason to stay away from them... Apart from needing keen eyesight?

Edited by Hikage

You usually use the mic jack as line in, it's just the way it is with most computers.

4200rpm is typical for notebooks. You can buy an after-market harddisk that's 5400rpm or 7200rpm, but keep in mind that it will draw more current and thus reduce the battery time.

Sounds like a nice model, but I bet that there are similar offerings from Toshiba and Fujitsu. I recall that Asus had something similar too.

Still looking for a notebook Hikage?

Yeah, for the same price, I think I would go for the Fujitsu model. Though I think both VAIO note and Fujitsu "Lifebook" are way over priced in Thailand. One thing I remember is you'll get 1 year international warranty and 3 years local warranty with Fujitsu, whereas with Sony you'll just get one eyar local warranty in Thailand. It may not have been the same spec as the model offered in the market now, but I once considered the same model last year (or precedig model) and found Fujitsu "Lifebook" of the same or equivalent LCD size to be better value for money than this VAIO note, though "Lifebook" is a bit thicker than VAIO.

If you're still going to Japan (and I think you will) you can look up for Toshiba "Libretto" Firefox mentioned. Victor (JVC) also has a model called "InterLink" which I think is smaller than this VAIO note (8.9inch), but you probably can't get it serviced in Thailand.

Just looked up the Asus ultraportable, here are the specs:

Centrino, Sonoma

PentiumM 1.7Ghz

512MB DDRII ram

12" Clearbrite LCD

60/80GB HDD

Dual-layer DVD writer

Bluetooth, Wifi, card reader

Weight 1.6KG

2 years int'l warranty

built-in camera

Price: 65,900 for normal chassis, 60GB HDD (W5A17CM)

79,900 for white (mac-like) chassis, 80GB HDD (W5A17DVR)

A bit heavier, but has the current chipset (DDRII, FSB, PCI-X, SATA, ETC), a better optical drive, faster speed. Ram you can upgrade to 1GB for about 3k. Not to mention it's a lot cheaper.

Incidentally, Asus makes some (or all?) notebooks for Apple.

Will check out the competition, but that VAIO was just calling to me. BTW Nordlys, easy to find hotspots in Tokyo? The Wireless LAN should come in handy there no?

Cheers

I only go to Japan once a year and I don't carry my laptop with me everywhere I go, so I don't really know, but heard it's difficult to find a place in Tokyo that's not covered by wi-fi. Heard they're starting to have hotspots in subway stations too these days. And I think you'll most probably get free internet (either wired or wi-fi) at your hotel. I think I read in some thread somewhere in this froum that the entire city will be covered by wi-fi soon. There are paid wi-fi too, but I think it's easy enough finding free wi-fi in and around train stations, airports, libraries, cafe and restaurants (incl. fast food), convention halls and hotel lobbies. Believe you get free wi-fi at all starbucks in Japan.

See this link for specific hotspot locations.

http://www.hotspot.ne.jp/en/index.html

BTW you can get the SONY VAIO you're intrested in 4 different colors in Japan.

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-a/Product/T/index.html

Hikage, sweet machine and many of the competitors with same size do not have a dvd burner and often have the drive (combo) as an external unit which of course sucks.

I wish you had not shown me that machine as my 1 1/2 year old Acer laptop will have to do a couple of more years! :o

My Acer is big with a 15.4" screen and I must admit that since I now have stopped working full time I would love a smaller/lighter laptop to log around rather than this monster....

Cheers!

Asus also manufacture the mainboards for most of the above brands.

Im sittign here typing away on my Asus, and its great. I even play Half Life 2 on it with no video problems, though i have upgraded RAM.

In Thailand, Sony and Fujitsu are craziliy priced. They are actually cheaper for most models in UK.

Will check out the competition, but that VAIO was just calling to me. BTW Nordlys, easy to find hotspots in Tokyo? The Wireless LAN should come in handy there no?

Cheers

I only go to Japan once a year and I don't carry my laptop with me everywhere I go, so I don't really know, but heard it's difficult to find a place in Tokyo that's not covered by wi-fi. Heard they're starting to have hotspots in subway stations too these days. And I think you'll most probably get free internet (either wired or wi-fi) at your hotel. I think I read in some thread somewhere in this froum that the entire city will be covered by wi-fi soon. There are paid wi-fi too, but I think it's easy enough finding free wi-fi in and around train stations, airports, libraries, cafe and restaurants (incl. fast food), convention halls and hotel lobbies. Believe you get free wi-fi at all starbucks in Japan.

See this link for specific hotspot locations.

http://www.hotspot.ne.jp/en/index.html

BTW you can get the SONY VAIO you're intrested in 4 different colors in Japan.

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-a/Product/T/index.html

Interesting prices on the Japanese Sony web page Nordlys, it's a bit cheaper in Thailand, plus I'll get 7% VAT refund on my way out.

What's the Model number of that ASUS Firefoxx? Is the VAIO chipset an old one? but they both use the Pentium M which is the most recent right? I may rethink the VAIO if the chipset is on the way out. It's expensive for old technology!

The model numbers are behind the prices I quoted.

The VAIO chipset is most probably an old one, since the specs would say "DDR2" memory if it was the newer one ("sonoma"). The new chipset is 915, while the old chipset is 855. Newer PentiumM also has 2MB cache memory.

Go and take a look at the Asus. It's pretty small, and has better specs at a lower price.

Interesting prices on the Japanese Sony web page Nordlys, it's a bit cheaper in Thailand, plus I'll get 7% VAT refund on my way out.

That is the price (MSRP) if you buy directly from Sony through their online shop (www.jp.sonystyle.com).

http://www.kakaku.com/sku/price/002006.htm

Look here for the prices in Japan. T-series VAIO NOTE seems to come in so many different spec/grades in Japan (whereas only two grades in Thailand?) so I can't really tell which is the model you want but whichever it is I'm sure you can get it cheaper in Japan than in Thailand.

The model numbers are behind the prices I quoted.

The VAIO chipset is most probably an old one, since the specs would say "DDR2" memory if it was the newer one ("sonoma").  The new chipset is 915, while the old chipset is 855.  Newer PentiumM also has 2MB cache memory.

Go and take a look at the Asus.  It's pretty small, and has better specs at a lower price.

Had a look at this machine today and I really liked it, unfortunately it has a 768MB ceiling on the RAM which is a bit of a shame. I reckon under a decent load more RAM is going to be more important than a newer chipset.

I also heard that I can't upgrade the memory of machines that have DDRII as you can't buy it separately in LOS.

Apart from the sony and asus, the acer ultracompact looked reasonable though without a built in optical drive.

It's a bit strange if you can't buy DDRII ram upgrades, when you can buy DDR upgrades at nearly all notebook shops. Last I checked, DDRII could also be purchased at notebook shops... a couple months ago it wasn't available, but that's not the current situation.

The ceiling on the RAM is a shame, but 768MB is plenty enough for most applications. Considering that an ultraportable isn't meant to be used for intensive work, I think it's adequate. 256MB more (1GB) won't affect performance significantly. The reason for the limit is that there is 256MB on-board, and only one expansion slot (max 512MB stick).

It's a bit strange if you can't buy DDRII ram upgrades, when you can buy DDR upgrades at nearly all notebook shops.  Last I checked, DDRII could also be purchased at notebook shops... a couple months ago it wasn't available, but that's not the current situation.

Yeah, the guy was probably talking <deleted>, though there seem to be a few sizes of RAM for notebooks, he may have been refering to one of the smaller sizes? "Micro RAM" maybe?

The ceiling on the RAM is a shame, but 768MB is plenty enough for most applications.  Considering that an ultraportable isn't meant to be used for intensive work, I think it's adequate.  256MB more (1GB) won't affect performance significantly.  The reason for the limit is that there is 256MB on-board, and only one expansion slot (max 512MB stick).

768MB MAY be OK (I need to run virtual machines on top of the host) but not ideal. Besides, when Longhorn (vista?) comes out it may pay to be ready with the extra RAM. Another down side is the integrated video chip.

The new Acer range is extremely good value.

Acer TravelMate 3002WTCi (56,900B)

--------------------------------

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740

(1.73GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)

Intel® 915GM Express Chipset

Integrated Intel® Pro/Wireless 2200BG

Integrated Bluetooth™

512MB DDR2-533 (Max 2GB)

60GB HDD

External IEEE 1394 DVD/CD-RW Combo

4-in-1 card reader

56K Fax/Modem, 10/100/1000Mbps LAN

12.1” WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT LCD(1280x768 pixel)

Intel® Graphics Media Accererator 900 up to 128MB

3-Cell + 6 Cell Li-Ion Battery (Avg 6.5 hrs. battery life)

3 USB 2.0 ports, IEEE 1394 port, Infrared port

Acer SignalUp wireless technology support

124-pin eZDock connector

Weight 1.4 kg.

1 year warranty ( International)

1 year insurance

Only Problem is that the ODD is external.

Acer Aspire 5502NWXCi (45,900B)

------------------------------------

Intel Centrino Mobile Technology

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740

(Processor speed 1.73GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)

Intel® 915PM Express Chipset

Integrated Intel® Pro/Wireless 2200BG

Integrated Bluetooth™

512MB DDR2-533 (Max 2GB)

60GB HDD, Weight 2.5 kg.

CD-RW/DVD Combo, 5-in-1 card reader

56K Fax/Modem, 10/100/1000Mbps LAN

14.1” WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT LCD(1280x800 pixel)/ S-Video Out

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 64MB

Li-Ion Battery (Avg 3.5 hrs. battery life)

IEEE 1394 port, Infrared port

Acer SignalUp wireless technology support

Linpus Linux BE

1 year warranty (International)

1 year Insurance

This must the best bang for buck notebook around. The tradeoff is that it's an extra kilo in weight, but at 2.5KG it's still not too bad.

Those prices are pretty hard to look past.

My friend's Toshiba uses Micro DIMMs, which are pretty expensive. They're harder to find than SODIMMs, but they're still available.

It's doubtful that you'll find anything other than the integrated video on ultraportables, it's just a part of the deal. I saw the Acer 3002 in a brochure, but dismissed it because of the separate drive. It makes the notebook very thin, but also takes away a lot of portability (if you ever need the drive).

I guess it varies for different people, but I find that I very rarely use the CD/DVD drive on my laptop. Mostly, I use it to play the occasional DVD at home which could just as easily use an external USB2 drive... I pretty much go from one wireless network to another and use the Internet for backups, etc., w/ the occasional bulk-transfer over wired ethernet.

I used a Sony z505 laptop many years ago and was very happy with its size and <3 lbs weight for travel. It has a metal case and sturdy hinges that never showed any signs of damage. I gave it up because it was slow and didn't have enough RAM, and my employer was paying for replacements.

To really take advantage of an ultraportable, you need an extremely lightweight bag, or the bag weighs more than the computer! :o The downside is that you are more likely to bang the thing into hard/sharp surfaces and corners. Now, I am addicted to higher resolution displays and have learned to carry heavier notebooks more carefully and in better carrying cases.

How I wish for the perfect combination! (Many pixels, long battery life, low heat, big RAM, fast CPU, flexible I/O w/ all-band wireless, gigabit ethernet, USB2, firewire, and feather weight too in a non-intrusive form factor.) I imagine the perfect device will be available right about when I retire. :D