One-Way Ticket To Hanoi

Beauworks

I'm planning on re-locating to Hanoi and only bought one-way tickets for myself, wife + 2 kids.

However the small print on the bottom of the itinerary the airline co. sent reads as follows;

You are responsible in ensuring compliance with the immigration, custom or other legal requirements of the countries of your destination. Kindly ensure that for International destination you possess a valid passport with at least six (6) months' validity and the applicable valid visas. You shall also possess a return itinerary or ticket on an onward journey.

I called Air Asia and they said in certain cases the passenger can board w/ a one-way ticket with supporting documentation.

Has anyone else only bought a one-way from Thailand to Hanoi and had to show supporting documentation? And if so, what are the required documents?

When I asked Air Asia they did not know and I can't get a hold of anyone who knows at Thai Immigration...uugh!

I also called the airport's customer service but they just pick up and then hang-up...even before I say a word!

Thks for any feedback.

I have travelled 4 times in the last 2 years with one way tickets to both Hanoi & HCMC (on Nok, PG, Air Asia and AF) and never been asked at check in to show a return ticket. That is not to say that next time I won't be asked to produce one when checking in as it is a requirement for entering Vietnam to my understanding.

However, you state that your relocating your family to Hanoi. Thus I assume you already have a non-tourist, residential Vietnasm visa of some sort? One would think that is sufficient for Air Asia. If not then an accompanying letter from the Vietnam Embassy should be sufficient one would think. I would obtain this to avoid any potential hassles esp if I had children travelling with me.

Also, your query is not really one for Air Asia nor Thai Immigration but for Vietnam Immigration (thus the Embassy) as it is the country of destination that dictates the documentation requirements of inbound non-nationals. The airlines only seek to comply with these requirements. Whether they do or not is another issue but they seek to avoid the cost of having someone denied entry and thus having to fly them back. Some countries apply financial penalties to airlines which repeatedly fly pax who are subsequently denied entry for non-compliance with entry requirements.

You'll note that Thailand similarly has a requirement for an inbound tourist to posses a return/departure ticket/booking, yet only some airlines check this. Compliance with this, by an airline or immigration, is usually greater when dealing with pax from 'high risk' overstay countries.

Thks for the valuable feedback! You are correct is saying the problem may arise in Hanoi but there is a slim chance Air Asia may say something and want us to buy a return ticket. Not really an issue with Thai Immigration. I just wanted to know if they may have known about the supporting documents question from past experience. After doing a bit more digging, I may need to apply for a one year business visa from the Vietnamese Embassy in BKK and that would be sufficient. It may also be ok to just have regular 3 month single entry visa for all of us with a letter from my employer stating I will be working there w/ a copy of the work contract. Again thks for a serious reply!

I have travelled 4 times in the last 2 years with one way tickets to both Hanoi & HCMC (on Nok, PG, Air Asia and AF) and never been asked at check in to show a return ticket. That is not to say that next time I won't be asked to produce one when checking in as it is a requirement for entering Vietnam to my understanding.

However, you state that your relocating your family to Hanoi. Thus I assume you already have a non-tourist, residential Vietnasm visa of some sort? One would think that is sufficient for Air Asia. If not then an accompanying letter from the Vietnam Embassy should be sufficient one would think. I would obtain this to avoid any potential hassles esp if I had children travelling with me.

Also, your query is not really one for Air Asia nor Thai Immigration but for Vietnam Immigration (thus the Embassy) as it is the country of destination that dictates the documentation requirements of inbound non-nationals. The airlines only seek to comply with these requirements. Whether they do or not is another issue but they seek to avoid the cost of having someone denied entry and thus having to fly them back. Some countries apply financial penalties to airlines which repeatedly fly pax who are subsequently denied entry for non-compliance with entry requirements.

You'll note that Thailand similarly has a requirement for an inbound tourist to posses a return/departure ticket/booking, yet only some airlines check this. Compliance with this, by an airline or immigration, is usually greater when dealing with pax from 'high risk' overstay countries.