What Seedbox To Use?

astral

What is the best seed box to use for torrents?

I currently download about 60-70Gb a month with 20Gb upload.

The problem is my access is capped to 8Gb a month, except between 23:00 and 05:00 local time

(Don't ask where, I am not in LOS)

Also the speed is limited.

It seems to me that a seedbox may be the best option, as files can be seeded 24 hours a day

and then I up and download from the seed box in the night time hours.

Which brings me back to my question, which seed box do you guys recommend?

I will also need to schedule my access in those night time hours.

Any recommendations there on a good programme?

Thanks in advance

OK

I have choosen a seedbox, RapidPeer.

I know I can manually ftp the files from the Seedbox,

but I really need an automatic way to handle it, during my unlimited time?

What is the best way to do this?

OK

If you are on Windows you can use WinSCP which is scriptable I can give you some script for this ... but it has to be tomorrow. I cannot reach them from home.

WinSCP also support SSH and you should use SSH (sftp) instead of ftp if the box in the other end supports it.

http://winscp.net/eng/docs/scripting

http://winscp.net/en...oad.php#licence

If you have a GNU/Linux box and you are forced to use ftp, you can use a program called lftp (LFTP)

http://lftp.yar.ru/

schedule something like this

/usr/bin/lftp -c 'open -e "mirror --delete --parallel=3 /remote/folder /home/user/mirror/" user:passwd@the_remote.com'

omit the --delete if you want to keep all in the receiving end even if it disappears in the source end

Otherwise rsync can sync over SSH too.

http://rsync.samba.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

Don't confuse it with http://www.rsync.net which is using the name but is just another one of those terrible "online backup" companies....

Martin

Edited by siamect

Thanks for the links to scripting, I have bookmarked them for later reference.

These are big files, and ftp just crawls, and generally aborts due to line problems. :bah:

I am now looking at private torrents as an alternative way to transfer the data.

^WinSCP slooooow. Use straight FTP multi-threaded (CuteFTP Pro or Filezilla etc.) through a VPN direct to your seedbox (should be running OpenVPN on the server).

You are right... I use WinSCP only at work over 100Mbps connection... There it is no problems. I never realized WinSCP lacked multi-threading... sucks...

Anyway here is a scipt in case you want to go slooooow...

cd "\target"

echo open the_server > do.txt

echo synchronize local -delete >> do.txt

winscp.exe /script=do.txt

Put the above in a bat file and schedule it...

You need to configure a connection named "the_server" or whatever, in WinSCP gui too...

Lftp is doing multithreading but I don't know if there is a Windown version of Lftp... But be careful with the --parallel setting. Some providers limit the total connections to the server and for ex One.com allow only 4 connection from the same IP. Pain when you run a sync and you need to change things st the same time...

Never done any scripting on CuteFTP nor Filezilla, maybe someone else can help?

Anyway, try to avoid Ftp... or anything unencrypted...

Martin

Edited by siamect

If he's having problems with ftp timeouts, wouldn't he be better off connecting using a torrent program to his seedbox.

i.e. If he comes in on a VPN, he can possibly be configured to be a specific IP address to his seedbox, and then have that IP given priority.

And on his local torrent, he specifies the static IP of the seedbox as a local peer (to guarantee it checks on this end). And he simply adds the torrents for the files that are finished. (It all works in parallel, and if it hits 5am with a file halfway downloaded, it's not a problem).

The automatic error-checking on file chunks with torrents is why they work so well for large files that need to be 100% correct. With ftp, unless you do a manual md5 you don't know if the file is correct, and even with an md5, if it fails you end up downloading the whole file again.

You can set up things like utorrent to ramp up/down their speed at set times of day, which should cover the automating of the time-window.

And on his local torrent, he specifies the static IP of the seedbox as a local peer (to guarantee it checks on this end). And he simply adds the torrents for the files that are finished. (It all works in parallel, and if it hits 5am with a file halfway downloaded, it's not a problem).

Thanks for the advice.

Where to specify the local peer in the torrent, as the Tracker or a web seed?

I am on uTorrent by the way

You can set up things like utorrent to ramp up/down their speed at set times of day, which should cover the automating of the time-window.

Yes already using that excellent feature. :thumbsup:

PS I have tried CuteFTP32 and Turboftp, and both are appallingly slow on my setup.

• 4 months later...

Found this 4-month old thread on a forum search for "seedbox" and was wondering if the OP might have any updates to this. IE: How is the RapidPeer seedbox working out? Is the FTP slow speed issue still a factor?

Thanks!

Edited by Rice_King

I settled on PulsedMedia which gives an excellent service.

100mb/s up and down, unlimited torrents and 115Gb of disk space.

My usage may be a little inconventional, but suits my needs.

I load any new torrents from UKNova, TheBox and TheEmpire and seed them.

I don't care what they are, though I do give precedence to files I am interested in.

That way I know there will be a fast seed when I come to leech later.

Individual torrent ratios of 30-50 are normal.

FTP is still not very practical, so I run uTorrent on my home machine

and set it to download the torrents that I DO want during the free time at night, (I am not in LOS, before someone asks)

with only minimal seeding from uTorrent.

With this setup I am getting all that I need and have also built up ratios of

4 on TheBox and TheEmpire and a score of 650 on UKNova. :D

OK

i lasted about a month on rapidpeer. service was terrible and they kept trying to upsell me their turbo pack.

what a load of nonsense, claiming my download speeds while torrenting from ftp were negatively affecting my speeds from ftp.

I switched to getaseedbox.com and am getting FAR superior speeds across the board, maxing out my connection speeds to get files from seedbox to local drive.

Thanks for the advice.

Where to specify the local peer in the torrent, as the Tracker or a web seed?

I am on uTorrent by the way

Yes already using that excellent feature. :thumbsup:

PS I have tried CuteFTP32 and Turboftp, and both are appallingly slow on my setup.

Use free download manager (FDM) to download from ftp site, it sections files, opening say 10 sections for a single file, each at 200k. It allows me to completely max my connection in bkk.

Choosing a seedbox is like going into a minefield.

I mentioned RapidPeer earlier in the thread.

I signed up with them and paid my money, but after a few days they stopped my service.

No explanation and even blocked the IP address for my ISP. :annoyed:

Mind you they did refund the money

I then tried Dentoo

They are very good and helpful, but I found the limit of 6 torrents irritating.

Next I tried a "cardboard box" from Super-seed

Initially it was good, and very cheap, but I guess you get what you pay for.

After one week it stopped working and there was no response from support.

Finally I landed up with PulsedMedia who are excellent,

and for a reasonable price. I am signed up with them for one year.

Don't know about their boxes (PulsedMedia), but I know that there's an Australian dude involved with them who used to run Custom Seedboxes. This guy is generally considered (amongst the private tracker community) to be a bit of a knob.

Anyway, I'm with Feral and have no complaints. Also hearing very good things about EvoBoxes - VPS, root, unmetered, 1 Gbit etc. Would probably go with them if I wasn't all set up nice with Feral.

Edit: Just saw this in your earlier post Astral:

FTP is still not very practical, so I run uTorrent on my home machine

and set it to download the torrents that I DO want during the free time at night, (I am not in LOS, before someone asks)

with only minimal seeding from uTorrent.

Are you downloading from yourself? If so, this is a really easy way to get banned from a private tracker.

Edited by MKAsok

Are you downloading from yourself? If so, this is a really easy way to get banned from a private tracker.

I have made the trackers aware that I have the seedbox and my private PC

and was told it is OK.

There are quite a few local (Thailand) seedbox service providers (check out adsl dot thailand or Google "seedbox" and "thailand"; they have names incorporating the word Colo (Co-Location). They are much less expensive than foreign seedboxes, are on quite fast backbones, then your files are in Thailand so easy to FTP down to your PC. Obviously not a solution for all but perhaps for some. My Demonoid ratio is 3,000,000:1 ! There are also many, many Thai BT sites with thai-subbed mat'l: iso, BR, most of which are on colo's, so I download at my cap., which is 6 Mega-Bytes per second (~ 48 Mega-bits per second). My Upload speed is not capped. I have 100 GB storage; 25 total torrents, 6 of which can be D/Ling; 3,600 THB/year. No minefield for me; I've been with the same seedbox for 6 months and just renewed for 1 year. You can review the Thai forums, or someone you know who speaks Thai can, to get e feel for the relative strengths and weaknesses of the local providers.

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...

This could be maybe of interest. There runs on this site at the moment a big promotion for a short time limited 2.75€ per month. There is also a great chance to win just a 3 months seedbox and I was hear there come much more like this very soon.

That is PulseMedia that I am with. :D

• 8 months later...

i've used seedboxone.com with no problems. Unmetered 1Gbit Up and Dn connections to seedbox. I've seen 5-20 MB/s download speeds for well seeded torrents. No upload/download restrictions. can max out connection using HTTP protocol. 50gb space for $12 usd

But last few days have been slow. I'm thinking it is related to the internet in thailand, not their service.

Edited by 4evermaat

• 3 months later...

I am still with PulseMedia, coming up to one year now.

No problems, no complaints and good ratios. thumbsup.gif

I have a pulsed media box, and i cannot get anywhere near the my max bandwidth. They limite me to 8 or 10 connections via ftp and on a 20 Mb connection i rarely get more than 10. what kind of speeds are you getting?

Anyone else have a seedbox provider they are getting good ftp speeds (to thailand) with. I was very happy with getaseedbox until they vanished

Seedboxone allows http. So you can download from any web browser, although interney download manager is a great scheduler tool. It auto-saves passwords and maces out available http connection.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

There are quite a few local (Thailand) seedbox service providers (check out adsl dot thailand or Google "seedbox" and "thailand"; they have names incorporating the word Colo (Co-Location). They are much less expensive than foreign seedboxes, are on quite fast backbones, then your files are in Thailand so easy to FTP down to your PC.......

Which ones in thailand do you use?

no time to read all of this but when I had a seed box - it was at super-seed.me.uk dirt cheap and fast, but not many features - I used a download manager to download.

Download managers open many parallel streams and also can continue and handle interruptions. I am on mac so I used the free iGetter, but on Windows there's tons of free download managers with more features.

The download manager always maxes out my connection. Of course super-seed has 100Mbit up/down , just a bit faster than my DSL at home wink.png

Consuming 70GB of media / month must be a full time job... :P

Edited by nikster

I can see maximum speed at times for seeding and leeching with the PulseMedia box (100Mb/s)

depending on demand

ftp is another matter, and limited by my local conditions at home.

Within those limits I get the maximum.

My guess is that Nocturn has the same local problem, rather than the box itself

How fast would a Thai seedbox be on the international side?

That is where the ratio's can be gained, not within LOS

i just cancelled my pulsed account for a year after 1 week. I was on a gigabit line with 450GB disk space. I could get a 1080 bluray rip onto the box in under 2 minutes.

problem was i could not get it down to my machine any faster than direct torrenting would have.

I was using FDM (Free Download Manager) which can handle multiple threads and multiple sections. With getaseedbox.com i could move my files down at full bandwidth and then some on a 20 Mb true line. this was consistent for the 2 some odd years i used them.

Unfortunately they went offline a couple months back and never returned.

pulsed would max my 8mbit dsl connection, but would not allow more than 8-10 connections and a max of 9-10 mbit, so i cancelled.

i must say they were professional and did not muck about. they didnt work for me, but i would not say anything bad about them.

I have tested to other ftp servers and am consistently hitting my ceiling, so i know it is not my line, however none of these are seedboxes.

suggestions very welcome

I have tested to other ftp servers and am consistently hitting my ceiling, so i know it is not my line, however none of these are seedboxes.

suggestions very welcome

Try downloading directly using http vs ftp protocol. Use a downloader like FDM or IDM

i just cancelled my pulsed account for a year after 1 week. I was on a gigabit line with 450GB disk space. I could get a 1080 bluray rip onto the box in under 2 minutes.

problem was i could not get it down to my machine any faster than direct torrenting would have

I can't help thinking that you have missed the point

It is Seedbox to seed files to other torrent users,

not a Leechbox.

If you only wanted to get the files to your own machine then direct torrents is probably the answer. :D