Jomtein To Koh Chang On A Small Bike

jay1980

I normally have the use of a car when I am in Thailand. My friend won't be able to lend it to me this time, and I would like to go to Koh Chang for a few days as part of my trip.

Would it be realistic to ride there on a rented small bike eg Yamaha Novo elegance 135?

Are there any dangerous sections of the road for bikes? (apart from the road on Koh Chang that I am aware of)

I am a fairly experienced rider for shorter trips, but never ridden that far in one go before.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Off course it is possible, but indeed one of the most boring tracks in LOS. There is the new panorama road under construction, max. speed 40kmh. From Rayong to Trat for bicycle and people whose enjoy the landscape. Some tracks are finished allready. I did a few km in march and it seems to be a very nice avenue.

"Would it be realistic to ride there on a rented small bike eg Yamaha Novo elegance 135?"

Yes, but don't mention it to whoever you're renting from - most will rent bikes to be used only in Pattaya and locally, and this is written into some rental agreements.

I would check with the rental agency it was OK, don't mind paying few 100 extra baht surcharge if required. I would of course check the bike, check the oil etc before the return trip but if everyone says the road is so bad/boring to ride I will rent a car or jeep or take a van. If I go on a bike I want to enjoy the ride.

I have driven the route by car direct from BKK and back to Patts a couple of years ago by car, but never ridden so far on a small bike.

cheers

Edited by jay1980

The distance from Jomtien to the Koh chang ferry is apx 250 kilometers,so if your comfortable riding a small bike that far then why not,if you can ride a bigger bike then youll surely enjoy the ride more,and as for the weather its potluck as to being a very hot ride or a very wet one,I wouldnt like to be caught in heavy rain storms on the ride to there or back on any bike,enjoy your adventure whichever way you decide to go...

I think SendBaht's answer is best. Take your time, and explore on the way. There r some very nice coastal areas on the way to see.

I did the trip on my 150 (my god now 4 years ago already) in about 4 hrs with a pillion but very boring trip. Road is ok and generaly well maintained.

If u go within the next couple of weeks u will have rain at some stages.

Remember that a rented bike has no insurance so if u break it u buy it. As mentioned most renters in Pattaya/Jomtein lend only for local use. Up to you if you tell them where u are going or not. I think most would say no to that trip if you say. I have rented bigger bikes and done long trips but never say where Im going, if asked just sightseeing localy. (but aware of the consequences if have a problem)

Now I just settle for Koh Samed.....in many ways I think nicer and a hellava lot closer.

Another thing also......if you have never done any long trips before, you may not know? Make sure you wear gloves and no bare arms or legs, plus a face visor at least. Preferably full face helmet. (most rental helmets are not worth putting on) And dont ride in flip flop jandals

If you dont, over a prolonged drive like that you will suffer from wind burn to bare skin. (Same as sun burn.)

Also, Something else if you have only done town driving.....the traffic passing you is doing in excess of 100 to 150kph so expect the rush of wind pressure and suction as the vechicals pass you. It means it can become hard to keep a straight course at times, (u get sucked into the vechical) especially when a tour bus goes roaring past!! Make sure you keep a good rear watch so they are not unexpected.

Daily I attend an A & E clinic in a hospital and see the results of minor spills to bare flesh all to often, while covering up doesnt save you, it lessons any injuries.

No reason why not to. I know someone who regularly rides a Honda PCX between Pattaya and Koh Chang without any problems. It's a good road all the way. Weather is the main issue - best to wait until the rainy season is over - another month or so and then you dont have to worry about being soaked to the skin or riding in a thunderstorm.

Thanks for the advice, I plan the trip for Noveber, so into the cool season.

Visions, good advice about dress, I never ride in flip-flops, I wear leather trainers as a compromise between safety and comfort in Thailand. I have a full face helmet in the UK I will bring if I decide on the trip by bike, will bring some long sleave T-shirts also as you suggest.

cheers

I have ridden there over the last 7 years at least 60 times originally on a Nouvo 115cc 80 to 100 KPH and then on a Nouvo 135cc 100 to 120KPH. I now ride there on a Yamaha 500cc T Max, 140 to 160 KPH with power to spare. All bikes had a rear luggage box and my wife on the back. I enjoyed all trips hail, rain or shine. There are a lot of places to rest at on the way and the road is good. Remembar not to travel in the bike lane where all the road crap and nails are. It may cost you a couple of hundred bart to the cops for travelling in the wrong lane, but it's better than picking up a flat tire. Have a good trip.

What is the preferred route for this trip?

Mark

Depends what you prefer???

The direct way is stay on Highway 3 untill u see the turn off to Koh Chang. (Well signposted) But there are many side roads that lead to places of interest, but depends on "your" interest what rings ur bell.

Or spemd a week touring inland where there are some great roads and spectacular views ...so I believe.