Legal Amount Cash Can Take Though Airport In Uk

dmax

its perfectly legal , wife saving now for 3 years , wants to buy rice land, also i am buying a pickup. wife doesnt keep money in a bank or any of her thai gold either. i made 30k on a house 4 years ago, should i take the reciept of sale with me ? i want to take 8 k and my wife has 9k . bear in mind we will spend around 3k on holiday expenses, i will not send on swift transfer as 5 years ago i did this but the greedy bank exchanged it into thai baht (not sterling) before they sent it. i am facing the threat of losing my job in uk over the next year so maybe need to sign on in future so i dont want authorities knowing that my wife has paddy land as surely we will be asked about overseas property etc ? best to just put it in hold luggage or hand luggage ? blink.gif

thankyou in advance wink.gif

Looking at the UK Government website: DirectGovUk

"If you are travelling to or from a country outside the European Union you must declare any cash of over 10,000 euros or more (or the equivalent in other currencies) to HM Revenue & Customs."

The term 'cash' covers:

* currency notes and coins

* bankers' drafts

* cheques of any kind, including travellers' cheques

You say you have 8,000 and your wife has 9,000, total 17,000 GBP. At current rates that is about 20,286 Euro.

So for two people travelling you seem to be slightly over.

Worthwhile checking the Thai government limits on cash carried into Thailand as well.

" best to just put it in hold luggage or hand luggage ?" Are you kidding me?????? If you put cash in checked baggage, it will be out of your sight, go through baggage inspection in UK and possibly stolen by baggage handelers in Thailand. CARRY IT ON YOUR PERSON. You can either put half in wifes purse and half in your carry on, or better yet put in on your person. Cash does not show up on walk through metal detectors. It will show up on the new body scanners if you are unlucky enough to be asked to step into one.

DMAX

Think you should let everybody know you mean THB not pounds.

If it is pounds when are you next in LOS you will now find you have loads of new mates all with there own sob story trying to borrow a couple of pound a drink.

If THB you will find you have a few less new mates.

Enjoy spending it.

Jam1e

Buy travellers cheques and carry in a money pouch on your person have the wife carry the travellers cheque numbers in her purse keep them separate and go.Every year I bring back the bulk of my money to Thailand in travellers cheques and cash them when I feel the rate is right. Simple easy and protected.

Buy travellers cheques and carry in a money pouch on your person have the wife carry the travellers cheque numbers in her purse keep them separate and go.Every year I bring back the bulk of my money to Thailand in travellers cheques and cash them when I feel the rate is right. Simple easy and protected.

You are correct but a right pain in the proverbial buying them, signing them at pick up, then signing them at cash in.

I don't know about all sources but the woman at the post office told me that all currencies of T/C's are issued free of charge, except for their face value of course, except for Sterling. Go figure that one out.

Split the cash up into several small batches, some in your wallet and some in your carry on bags.

I took a big wedge like that to Thailand a couple of years back made more difficult by the bank giving me most of it in twenties.

As for "what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?" you want to try drawing out ten thousand or moe in cash from the bank. Jeez they made me feel like a right criminal, no wonder people rob banks, it's the only way you can get your money out.

Any reason not to use travelers checks?

i would take the money to bank in morning before we fly for travellers cheques ....but would i not lose too much cashing them in thailand ? i have 2 visa debit cards from santander and bank of scotland but i was told in bank today that they convert your money into baht first before they send you it to thailand then the thai atm will charge you as well so thats a big no no. when i bring cash in n oters there is a chinese lady in pattaya who allways gives me a better rate than most banks. blink.gif

but would i not get better rate for pound note sterling ? what rate would i get for travellers cheques ? need answers here quick, flying in afternoon

You are correct but a right pain in the proverbial buying them, signing them at pick up, then signing them at cash in.

I don't know about all sources but the woman at the post office told me that all currencies of T/C's are issued free of charge, except for their face value of course, except for Sterling. Go figure that one out.

Split the cash up into several small batches, some in your wallet and some in your carry on bags.

I took a big wedge like that to Thailand a couple of years back made more difficult by the bank giving me most of it in twenties.

As for "what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?" you want to try drawing out ten thousand or moe in cash from the bank. Jeez they made me feel like a right criminal, no wonder people rob banks, it's the only way you can get your money out.

exactly !!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

£1000,with no questions asked, over this amount you will need proof its your money bank statements will be required for proof,,if you can not prove its your money,it can and almost certainly be confiscated by immigration,this applies to incoming and out going UK

Carry half in a money belt attached to your person. The other half hide in your carry on. When I say hide, I mean go to the trouble to create a hidden pocket in amongst the various pockets and flaps on your carry on bag. Don't just stick it under the false bottom you find in many bags.

I am also looking at a hidden pocket in my shorts were I can hide tightly folded notes....so I have less in the carry on.

Plus for the trousers wearers you can buy a belt with a hidden pouch were you can hide a small amount of notes.

Carry half in a money belt attached to your person. The other half hide in your carry on. When I say hide, I mean go to the trouble to create a hidden pocket in amongst the various pockets and flaps on your carry on bag. Don't just stick it under the false bottom you find in many bags.

I am also looking at a hidden pocket in my shorts were I can hide tightly folded notes....so I have less in the carry on.

Plus for the trousers wearers you can buy a belt with a hidden pouch were you can hide a small amount of notes.

i would think maybe 1in a 100 people get stopped for a quick frisk,airport security now use very intelligent sniffer dogs who will sniff out bank notes no matter how or where you hide them on your person,

£1000,with no questions asked, over this amount you will need proof its your money bank statements will be required for proof,,if you can not prove its your money,it can and almost certainly be confiscated by immigration,this applies to incoming and out going UK

ywhat !! £1,000 pounds ? have you made a mistake here ? if that was the case everyone travelling on holiday would have their money confiscated

Just for curiosity I did a bit of Googleing and found this site in the UK explaing about cash going out/in to the UK. If I read this correctly travellers checks are considered cash also so any amount over 10k Euro needs to be declared on the proper form and then it becomes a non issue.

Cash