Where To Go In Chiang Mai

welsh1

Will be going on a bit of a tour next month to chiang mai & chiang rai

Where to stay are there any nice places maybe close to all amenities, shopping, sightseeing, .etc

Any good bars where I can get some good western food or maybe just a few beers and a good old chat with other farangs

Any bars that have live music playing on the weekend

Looking at about 500-1000 baht or maybe will spend a few baht more as I will have the other half with me and seeing as it's our anniversary will maybe treat her to some where nice

Because that's the type of guy I amrolleyes.gif

Any info would be very grateful wai.gif

The Royal Lanna is in the centre of things and would be a reasonable place for the price, on the same road is the Guitarman pub which has live bands, the quality varies but if you get a good night it rocks. The Red Lion English pub is a minute or so from the Lanna and does reasonable food. Other recommended Western food / bars would be Tuskers, The Dukes, Miguels, Salsa Kitchen, Mad Dog Pizza - a list that could go on and on

Chiang Mai is a small place and easy to get around a red songtaew will set you back 20 baht a piece to get around town. Tuk tuks are reasonable as long as you negotiate the price before hand.

I'll let the rest of the crew shoot me down in flames or give you some more recommendations ;)

Edited by anonymouse
  • Like 1

He's with the Mrs. so I guess recommendations for basket weaving and umbrella painting are in order. ;)

Personally, I'd stay in the old town area, or very near it. Not in the scammy dump that is the night bazar.

Will probably have to visit a few temples as per usual....Will probably give the basket weaving & Umbrella painting a miss

Thanks for the info i will look into hotels and accommodation around the old town area wai.gif

The Royal Lanna is in the centre of things and would be a reasonable place for the price, on the same road is the Guitarman pub which has live bands, the quality varies but if you get a good night it rocks. The Red Lion English pub is a minute or so from the Lanna and does reasonable food. Other recommended Western food / bars would be Tuskers, The Dukes, Miguels, Salsa Kitchen, Mad Dog Pizza - a list that could go on and on

Chiang Mai is a small place and easy to get around a red songtaew will set you back 20 baht a piece to get around town. Tuk tuks are reasonable as long as you negotiate the price before hand.

I'll let the rest of the crew shoot me down in flames or give you some more recommendations ;)

Big thanks for the info on them bars with the live music...lets hope i catch a good night and the place is rocking rolleyes.gif

He's with the Mrs. so I guess recommendations for basket weaving and umbrella painting are in order. ;)

Personally, I'd stay in the old town area, or very near it. Not in the scammy dump that is the night bazar.

nowt wrong with the night bazaar. lovely people, most of em. tourists love it.

As I've mentioned many times... it is exactly 1.6 kilometers (one mile) between each side of the inner moat. It's another kilometer from the moat to the Ping River. The night market is a bit more than half a kilometer to the moat. The mountain with the temple on top (Doi Suthep) is on the western side of the city and opposite from the Ping River. Vehicle traffic goes one way on either side of the moat. It's easy to get confused when riding a taxi or tuk tuk because the drivers have to follow the one way roads before crossing the moat at the few crossings. It is much easier learning if you walk.

I've posted this before, but it may be of use to you. This is a few pages of ideas that I put together for visiting friends. It includes most things that visitors are likely to want to see/do in Chiang Mai.

Enjoy your visit - I love this place! :D

thanks for the info rolleyes.gif