Uk Visitor Visa Query - Timescales

Just two quick questions...

Once my GF has submitted her UK Visitor Visa application online she doesn't need to make an appointment does she? She can simply hand in her documents / payments etc at the Visa application centre in Bangkok? Is that correct?

After she has submitted her application and handed in her documents HOW LONG is it likely to take before she gets hers passport and decision back?

Thanks in advance...

Brian

Edited by brian272727

You don't need an appointment, but it's likely she'll have a much shorter wait if she does have one. A co-worker submitted an application last Friday - when she first arrived at VFS (20 minutes before her appointment time), the security guy just handed her a queue number and said the wait would be about 2 hours. She then pointed out that she had an appointment. After checking her name and passport number against his list, he ushered her inside and she was done in 20 minutes.

The UKBA publishes processing time statistics here (http://www.ukvisas.g...processingtimes) although they tend to be a month or two out of date. The July figures are up there now and for the standard 6 month social visit visa, they indicate that 70% of applications were dealt with in 3 workings days, 93% within 5 working days and 99% within 10 working days. These are processing times once the application is received by the Embassy, normally the working day after submission at VFS.

Edited by KamnanT

Does anyone have actual recent experience of these times as I am going to apply for the wife when I get back and I only have a month in Thailand to get it sorted, I am hoping it will be enough time. My last one only took about 4 days. Any recent experience anyone???

Assuming you get the application in as soon as possible after you arrive, it's very, very unlikely you won't have a decision in a month. Two weeks seems to be about the norm, perhaps a bit quicker if it's a straightforward application (e.g. previous visits).

Current processing times in Thailand says that non settlement applications are currently being processed within 15 working days.

However, it is important to remember that the biggest factor in the length of processing times is the number of applications recieved. Current times are no guarantee of future times.

The UK Border Agency visa processing time targets are:

• To complete 90 per cent of non-settlement visa applications in not more than three weeks, 98 per cent in six weeks and 100 per cent in 12 weeks.
  • To complete 95 per cent of settlement applications for settlement visas in not more than 12 weeks and 100 per cent in not more than 24 weeks.

Does anyone have actual recent experience of these times as I am going to apply for the wife when I get back and I only have a month in Thailand to get it sorted, I am hoping it will be enough time. My last one only took about 4 days. Any recent experience anyone???

Assuming you get the application in as soon as possible after you arrive, it's very, very unlikely you won't have a decision in a month. Two weeks seems to be about the norm, perhaps a bit quicker if it's a straightforward application (e.g. previous visits).

That's good news then, we have had a previous visit, the only thing that has changed is that my wife isn't employed by a company any more so no employers letter, but we do have a house and we both have house registration books so hopefully that will be enough reason to return.

In response to your question..................18 working days( not including weekends)..............just got our visa back last week.

Wow, that's longer than I expected. Did you book and pay for your flights outright before applying?

No I did not pay or book for any flights before applying,as knowing my luck I would not have been granted the visa if I had have done so .

Also I think the VFS website advises you not to book any flights.

In response to your question..................18 working days( not including weekends)..............just got our visa back last week.

Wow, that's longer than I expected. Did you book and pay for your flights outright before applying?

No I did not pay or book for any flights before applying,as knowing my luck I would not have been granted the visa if I had have done so .

Also I think the VFS website advises you not to book any flights.

That's strange, i thought you had to provide proof of a return ticket, have I misread something?

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />In response to your question..................18 working days( not including weekends)..............just got our visa back last week.<br /><br /><br />
<br />Wow, that's longer than I expected. Did you book and pay for your flights outright before applying?<br />
<br /><br /><br />No I did not pay or book for any flights before applying,as knowing my luck I would not have been granted the visa if I had have done so .<br />Also I think the VFS website advises you not to book any flights.<br />
<br /><br />That's strange, i thought you had to provide proof of a return ticket, have I misread something?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

No proof of a ticket is required.You could get a quote from a travel agent and include that in your travel arrangements,just to give the embassy an idea of what/when you propose to go overseas exactly,but no actual ticket is required thats for sure.

Good luck anyway and I hope you get the visa.We also paid the extra few baht for the SMS service,but when you finally receive the SMS............the SMS reads only,YOUR APPLICATION IS NOW READY FOR COLLECTION.............it does not actually tell you that the visa has been granted or not.You do not know if you have the visa until you open the passport.I can only assume they send out the same SMS to all applicants whether you get a visa or not.

Good luck anyway and I hope you get the visa.We also paid the extra few baht for the SMS service,but when you finally receive the SMS............the SMS reads only,YOUR APPLICATION IS NOW READY FOR COLLECTION.............it does not actually tell you that the visa has been granted or not.You do not know if you have the visa until you open the passport.I can only assume they send out the same SMS to all applicants whether you get a visa or not.

Your assumption is correct, geoffers

• 2 weeks later...

I see the visiting times for August are now as follows:

On a seperate note I see that Visa waiting times are down to 5 days and in most cases 3 days:

Visits Visas 2 day 3 day 5 day 10 day 15 day 30 day

General Visit (6 months or less) 50% 80% 96% 99% 99% 99%

Good news!

Recent experience, the missus put her application in @ VFS on Monday 27, had a 2 hour wait (appointment booking system offered a week later so just went along & joined the queue!). Got the SMS on Wed 6. Good news she got her visa (her 2nd tourist visa)

Re the sms they don't tell you if granted which is annoying cos just delays booking flights but apparently the sms is from VFS not the embassy

http://www.thaivisa....urist-visa-sms/

A mate's wife's 2nd tourist visa was done in a week (July) but another mate's wife's 1st tourist visa took almost 3 weeks (Sept)

Good luck!

Not sure, but I think it's the number of days from the embassy receiving the application to them returning the passport to the VAC; remember that it is working days. Remember. too, that those are the figures for August, processing times now could be longer or shorter depending upon demand.

I understand that the SMS is sent by the VAC when they receive the passport back.

Not sure, but I think it's the number of days from the embassy receiving the application to them returning the passport to the VAC; remember that it is working days. Remember. too, that those are the figures for August, processing times now could be longer or shorter depending upon demand.

I understand that the SMS is sent by the VAC when they receive the passport back.

The question is how to define "without delay". We have just passed day 6 and still nothing. No update or anything. Don't they understand that people (not the applicant) need their passports for work ?

EUN2.3 How quickly do I need to issue an EEA family permit?

Priority must be given to applications for EEA family permits. Wherever possible a decision should be made at the time it is lodged or after an interview is conducted.

However, the Regulations do not say that EEA family permits must be issued on the day that the application is made. The Directive does allow Member States to take reasonable measures to ensure that freedom of movement is not obtained by deception. Where you suspect a marriage of convenience or even ‘sham’ employment for the purpose of freedom of movement, further enquiries should be made and credibility may be tested. As long as delays are justifiable, applications can be tested until the ECO is fully satisfied.

EUN2.3 How quickly do I need to issue an EEA family permit?

Priority must be given to applications for EEA family permits. Wherever possible a decision should be made at the time it is lodged or after an interview is conducted.

However, the Regulations do not say that EEA family permits must be issued on the day that the application is made. The Directive does allow Member States to take reasonable measures to ensure that freedom of movement is not obtained by deception. Where you suspect a marriage of convenience or even 'sham' employment for the purpose of freedom of movement, further enquiries should be made and credibility may be tested. As long as delays are justifiable, applications can be tested until the ECO is fully satisfied.

Yes - I did some reaerch and found this as well. We have passed working day #6 and I am tired of waiting. Asking the VAC is useless as u receive a "standard message". I have sent a complaint to the Visa manager by email today and will most likely talk to the VAC Manager on Monday.

Many other people start compalining after day 2-3.

Processing times are nothing to do with the VAC, who simply collect applications to forward to the embassy and then receive them back from the embassy to distribute back to applicants. All the processing is done in the Entry Clearance Section at the embassy. So it is the Entry Clearance Manager that you need to complain to.

I'd be very interested to know the basis of your compliant (that EEA applications need to be dealt with swiftly?) and the ECM's response.