Uk Visitor Visa Query - Timescales

Not sure, but I think it's the number of days from the embassy receiving the application to them returning the passport to the VAC; remember that it is working days. Remember. too, that those are the figures for August, processing times now could be longer or shorter depending upon demand.

I understand that the SMS is sent by the VAC when they receive the passport back.

Off the top of my head, all service standards - and visa requirements e.g. validity of bank statements etc - are to be judged against the date shown on an applicant's payment receipt and date of biometrics, if applicable.

7by7, you might see it different and to early to complain. Maybe the VAC is a litle at fault too, who knows? Besides of this, the VAC is the "contact person" for us, as we cant contact the embassy directly.

Anyways, I feel the complaint to the Visa Manager at this time is statisfied. Another member on this forum has applied for a Visit Visa, the same morning and got his passport back on friday. I cant see any priority processing for such EEA Permits.

Besides of this, I feel that my "freedom of movement" is not honored, as they are in possetion of my (EU Citizens) passport as well. I work as flight crew and took a week off, which is not sufficient now. Besides of this there is not much to decide if you are leagally married for 5 years and have a 3 year old child. I am not in the UK yet - and will use my initial 3 month traety right.

I am sure the complaint will delay the application alot more, let's see. Once I have a response (if I get a response) I will tell u the outcome.

I think there is alot of improvement to be done at the Visa Section here in BKK. Even my home embassy, which is one of the hardest to deal with in BKK (Germany) gives the applicant a date, to return, to collect his or her passport. This system of waiting is simply not what it should be.

Edited by asia_pilot

Whilst I can understand your frustration, there may be factors which have delayed the application, as per the guidance previously linked to

.As long as delays are justifiable, applications can be tested until the ECO is fully satisfied.

As for your passport, I cannot understand why you left the original with them when a certified copy usually suffices. Guide to supporting documents, EEA Family Permits

Evidence of your sponsor's nationality. This could be copies of: bio-data page from their passport................

(My emphasis)

If they insisted on having the actual passport itself, this is the first time I have heard of this happening to any sponsor of any type of UK entry clearance; did they give a reason?

You may feel the German system is better, I have no experience of it so cannot comment. However, I can't help wondering during busy periods how many applicants arrive to collect their passports on the specified date only to be told that it's not ready yet. Or maybe they have less applications to deal with than the British embassy?

After some complaining, the passport was ready to be picked today. Total 7 days for an EEA Family permit. I decided to go and pick it myself, as my wife was a little scared after the complaint email :)

I am shocked. You have to take another number and wait and wait. It takes them 4-5 minutes for each envelope to give back. The VFS staff might check with other western embassies (including Japan - which are as busy as the UK embassy) how to process applications and hand out passports. When finaly my number was called (note for 15 people in front, it took 40 minutes of wait!!! ) she little girl didnt want to accept my passport copy. Well, little "smartass" my passport is in the folder which you hold in your hands. After argumenting she finally gave in.

I must say, the VFS works completly inefficiant and SLOW! Thaistyle !:lol: They can learn alot from other embassies.

Thank god this was our first and last experience with them here in BKK. Next time I would just go to a neighbor country like Hong Kong or Tokyo, or even do this within Europe.

On a side note, I am still waiting for a response to my complaint to the Visa Manager!

@VisaExpress. I am not sure if you mean you wait since September, but if so, your customer should get his/her money back if you haven't complaint or checked for the status and reason for delay. Just my 2 cts.

@7b7 I do not believe that the UK embassy processes more applications then Germany.

Edited by asia_pilot

Sorry, but shock horror, you waited 7 days. There are others who have to wait significantly longer than that!

And re having to take another number, how would you suggest they manage people coming to collect passports? A complete free-for-all?

Edited by bangkockney

Sorry, but shock horror, you waited 7 days. There are others who have to wait significantly longer than that!

And re having to take another number, how would you suggest they manage people coming to collect passports? A complete free-for-all?

Lovely! - We are talking about an EEA Family permit, not any Visitor or Settlement Visa. Most people are getting them issued within 2 days. I would say you can not compare these application times, as rule are different.

As far for the passport collection. Why 'free for everybody" - don't you have the receipt? I suggest you try some other embassies ( start off with Japan or EU countries ) and see how they handle the passport collection. Not sure if you still praise the VFS Thailand system.

Just another remark. As an EU Citizen I have more rights regarding the Visas for my wife in your country as you, but on the other side you will enjoy the same rights at my home embassy. Here you get the Family Permit within 2 days as well.

Lovely! - We are talking about an EEA Family permit, not any Visitor or Settlement Visa. Most people are getting them issued within 2 days. I would say you can not compare these application times, as rule are different.

As far for the passport collection. Why 'free for everybody" - don't you have the receipt? I suggest you try some other embassies ( start off with Japan or EU countries ) and see how they handle the passport collection. Not sure if you still praise the VFS Thailand system.

Just another remark. As an EU Citizen I have more rights regarding the Visas for my wife in your country as you, but on the other side you will enjoy the same rights at my home embassy. Here you get the Family Permit within 2 days as well.

The point is decision times are not de-facto. Your application could have been refused, referred or deferred to the Home Office, which could result in delays longer than you experienced.

I would suggest Japan is a bad example since volume is nowhere near as high as the British Embassy.

Despite having a receipt, you are not ushered to a separate room just for Family Permit applicants to collect their passports. Again, given the volumes, having everyone just queue up at the counter would cause far greater problems.

Ticketing systems are used everywhere where there is high volume and a need to retain control of a large group of people e.g. passport applications in person.

I also do not agree that the German embassy processes more applications than the UK, in all categories combined.

But no problem, you're entitled to your opinions (little point arguing over an opinion) following your experience and of course are entitled to apply outside Thailand in future if you so wish. I just thought your criticism was a little harsh.

Asia_pilot, I would still like to know why you included your original passport in the application. As said before, copies of sponsor's passports are usually sufficient and every sponsor I know of who has handed in their original passport has had it copied by the VAC staff and returned; it has not been sent to the embassy.

Do you know why you were treated differently? Is this now standard for EEA applications?

for 15 people in front, it took 40 minutes
Less than 3 minutes per person. Is your airline as efficient at check in?
she little girl didnt want to accept my passport copy. Well, little "smartass" my passport is in the folder which you hold in your hands. After argumenting she finally gave in.
Your passport shouldn't have been in the folder, it should have been in your hand. Would you be happy had she handed your girlfriends passport over to just anyone, without proof of identity? Of course she needed convincing.

Asia_pilot, I would still like to know why you included your original passport in the application. As said before, copies of sponsor's passports are usually sufficient and every sponsor I know of who has handed in their original passport has had it copied by the VAC staff and returned; it has not been sent to the embassy.

Do you know why you were treated differently? Is this now standard for EEA applications?

for 15 people in front, it took 40 minutes
Less than 3 minutes per person. Is your airline as efficient at check in?
she little girl didnt want to accept my passport copy. Well, little "smartass" my passport is in the folder which you hold in your hands. After argumenting she finally gave in.
Your passport shouldn't have been in the folder, it should have been in your hand. Would you be happy had she handed your girlfriends passport over to just anyone, without proof of identity? Of course she needed convincing.

7b7, my certified passport copy was not accepted by the VFS, as the certification stamp was in German (certifed through the German embassy). My wife advised to include my original passport. I think, they have no knowlegde about those EU Family permits, because of the small number they are processing.

As far for the 3 minutes....I do not work for a commercial airline. We dont have check-in lines :whistling:

It is not that I didn't show any ID. I gave the little girl a Thai gouvernment issued DL. Which should be ID enough, don't you think so? I never wrote that they should give out applications without ID checks, but even this works fine at other embassies.

Yet again you refer to the Thai member of staff that your saw as a "little girl." Are you always this condescending toward Thai people?

Not surprised that they did not accept a German certification of the copy; as you were applying to the UK, I'd have thought the sensible thing would have been to certify the copy in English. Especially as all the guidance asks that anything not in English be accompanied by an English translation!

We are talking about an EEA Family permit, not any Visitor or Settlement Visa. Most people are getting them issued within 2 days
In August they were; but your wife applied in October and these figures are not yet available. There are any number of legitimate reasons why the processing time is now a little longer.