Camry And Iphone

Lost in LOS

Hi

You can install a cable so you can use your iphone or ipod in the car, i have a cable in the glove compartment i just put my ipod in and forget about it for weeks, my display in the car can only show 500 songs but i can live with that.

If I don't have blue-tooth, which I dont think is there I will get a cable......thanks

You do know about the bluetooth connection? I don't have an I-phone and I connect my Nokia to the car via bluetooth.

not sure if I have blue-tooth, haven't seen it but haven't looked much. will check it out. Camery G 2.4 if anyone knows, new.

Mine is a '07 2.0G and it has bluetooth. To try it out, enable your bluetooth on your phone, start or turn your car on, on your phone search for new device or connection. If your car has bluetooth your phone will find it, may require a PIN #, I used 0000.

That earphone jack is called AUX in, and all you need is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable - basically a cable where both ends look like the plug on a stereo headset.

It's your cheapest option, and working OK since you can then use your iPhone to control the music - a much nicer interface than what most dedicated car stereos can do.

Ask Toyota if they can install an iPod compatibility kit for your car stereo + see how much that costs. It's surprising they still sell cars without iPod connector?! Who has CDs these days? There are some toyota models with iPod connectivity so they have the hardware - maybe you could get an upgraded car stereo?

Alternatively, get a new car stereo that supports iPods - this is what I did, the stereo cost 7,000 baht + comes with an iPod/iPhone connector - it charges the phone and the iPod is controlled via the car stereo controls. It's very basic though, it doesn't even have a real LCD display. They had those too but they were 15,000+. Way over the top for a simple car stereo (and a tiny LCD) IMO.

Edited by nikster

Hi

My ipod connector is mounted in the glove box and can be activated from the steering wheel and can be seen in the cars computer display, i think it can be done for most cars, in mine they took out the disc box and connected the ipod cable

It depends on the stereo. Our in-dash 6 CD changer factory fit from Toyota had no such option, probably because the CD changer was already part of the unit. Anyway the iPod connection kits are usually not a whole lot cheaper than an entire new head unit that's iPod compatible to begin with. Those already come with a cable, they don't need an extra box.

I picked up the 3.5 to 3.5 but it doesnt have much volume to it and not great sound. I found a chinese company that sells a set for a camry. It fits to the bottom of the phone for better sound output and then goes to the car and it includes a charger in the cables.

After much instant messages with the owner, or maybe salesman who types perfect English, on yahoo I ordered it and paid through PayPal. Pay-pal wouldn't let me send to Thailand but i emailed him my address and he will send it here. I will report how it goes but I think all is well, especially using pay pal. If anyone wants his email address PM me, he has these cables for all cars on his website

post-24771-014240500 1285405285_thumb.jp

Edited by Lost in LOS

Hi

Sorry to say thats what i dont like, cables everywhere. My cable is fitted on the back of the sound system and put away in the glove box and you use the sound system display, a lot of shops here can do it for you, my friend just had it done as well in his mercer. and the ipod/iphone/whatever get the power supply from the same cable, my ipod has not been disconnected for 4 months now, just hide it and forget about it.

Hi

Here you see

Toyota Ipod

Connect, charge, control, and play your iPod through your factory radio! The interface connects to your factory radio and controls it just like a CD changer, allowing you to you use your iPod to create play lists. Utilizing your factory radio's CD changer control buttons, you can then access, play, and control those play lists easily. Your factory head unit simply displays your play list number as a disc number and song number (track 1 through 99), just like a CD changer. This eliminates the need to fumble around your iPod while you are driving - that's safety, convenience, and ease of use! The interface is versatile too! This interface also charges your iPod's battery automatically. The interface also features an additional auxiliary input if you want to add a DVD player, portable satellite radio tuner, or MP3 player to your stereo.

And for USB

Toyota USB

Connect and play your USB FLASH MEMORY/SD CARD through your factory radio! The interface connects to your factory radio and controls it just like a CD changer, allowing you to create up to 12 folders in your USB FLASH MEMORY/SD CARD, each folder acts as one playlist. Utilizing your factory radio's CD changer control buttons, you can then access, play, and control those play lists easily. Your factory head unit simply displays your play list number as a disc number (1 through 12) and song number (track 1 through 99), just like a CD changer. That's safety, convenience, and ease of use! The interface also features an additional auxiliary input if you want to add a DVD player, portable satellite radio tuner, or MP3 player to your stereo.

Hi

My ipod connector is mounted in the glove box and can be activated from the steering wheel and can be seen in the cars computer display, i think it can be done for most cars, in mine they took out the disc box and connected the ipod cable

It depends on the stereo. Our in-dash 6 CD changer factory fit from Toyota had no such option, probably because the CD changer was already part of the unit. Anyway the iPod connection kits are usually not a whole lot cheaper than an entire new head unit that's iPod compatible to begin with. Those already come with a cable, they don't need an extra box.

HI

It can be done and its very easy, no need for anything to hang around just use your head unit. i think it can be done to most cars, just shop around a little, all the Thai sound shops know about it, just have a look in one of the cars they do, very nice job they do, you know the ones where they have 5000watt and 50 speakers (i dont like it)

Hi

HI

It can be done and its very easy, no need for anything to hang around just use your head unit. i think it can be done to most cars, just shop around a little, all the Thai sound shops know about it, just have a look in one of the cars they do, very nice job they do, you know the ones where they have 5000watt and 50 speakers (i dont like it)

I will check that out but the new camry, dont know about the older ones, has its own little compartment with a door on it with the power and accessory inputs, so you wouldnt see any cables. I will check with toyota though. The 3.5 to .3.5 works but its not great

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

HI

Hi HDRIDER

Do you mean that you changed the headunit in your Camry.

I have a 2009 2.4V Camry and would like to change the headunit also.

But only if i can keep all ( English/Thai, satnav, Telephone, Rear camera etc ) functions like i have now.

If you did replace your head unit can you tell me which after market unit you used.

Thanks for your information.

Hi

No i dont have a Camry but if you search you will see that you dont have to change the head unit, you can get a plug and play cable/unit for most cars now, i got a BMW and got rid of the CD box in the glove compartment and got a cable attached to the head unit, now my ipod can be controlled on the steering wheel, also the first 500 songs is in the head unit display, this cable/unit you can get to almost any car.