When At Least 30 Days Means Less Than 30 Days

Not sure if I am getting the round around from CW immigration as it's a first try for me so I will persevere until my wife and I get what we want. I am in the process of obtaining a ONE YEAR extension of stay for the first time based on marriage.

I arrived on a 30 day visa exempt stamp which I was able to convert to a Non Imm O based on marriage at CW immigration. CW immigration gave me a 3 months Non Imm O stamp and a piece of paper in my passport (attached) saying "At least 30 days before visa expiration, please apply for 1 year visa". There are TWO errors in this from what I can tell. Firstly one doesn't apply for a 1 year visa from what I have learned on this forum, but simply a 1 year extension of stay? Secondly I went to apply for this today and was told that AT LEAST 30 days means LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 30 days. Therefore today I was about 10 days TOO EARLY. I explained to the nice immigration lady what AT LEAST means but she scratched her head and said it was poorly worded.

Another thing I was told was that if I apply with 400,000 THB in bank (which is what I had always planned on) I would only get a ONE MONTH extension, which I would then get a ONE YEAR extension after that. They also said if I had 800,000 THB in bank I could get a one year extension immediately based on retirement. I told them I had no plans for this.

Looks like a few more visits will be needed to CW!

post-21581-016466800 1285149476_thumb.jp

The reason for the one month extension (it varies from immigration to immigration) is for them to check the validity of your paperwork and marriage. Then you'll get the full year extension. Don't be concerned it's just a formality. Rather than going back to them on the day they tell you to check in advance a week or so because in many cases it's completed early. They may even do you the courtesy of a phone call to tell you it's done.

Rather than going back to them on the day they tell you to check in advance a week or so because in many cases it's completed early. They may even do you the courtesy of a phone call to tell you it's done.

They certainly DO NOT allow that at CW (BKK). It has to be collected on the day as stated in the PP.

In the past they did allow it at Suan Pluh but this time is over.

opalhort

Yep, a poorly worded visa stamp. No shortage of poorly worded immigration guidance. Wish immigration put more effort in confirming the English words more precisely mean what the Thai words mean. But the important thing is it's pretty easy to get a visa/extension of stay as long as a person makes a good attempt to line up their ducks in the application.

OP, CW, NK, KK.............I thinks some posters forget that some people reading this may be new to Thailand or new to the forums.

OP: Original Post(er)

CW: Chaeng Wattana (location of BKK(Bangkok) Immigration office)

NK: Nong Kai (spelling?)

KK: Kon Kaen (spelling?)

opalhort

Edited by opalhort