What Is Your Dowload Speed On Asdl In Thailand

electau

The limit to ASDL from the exchange is 4 km perhaps up to 4.5km on a good line.

The exchange will be conected to the fibre optic backbone cabling. The theroretical speed limit may be 5Mbps, 8Mbps, etc.

But if you are about 3 kms from the exchange typical speeds may be between 2Mbps to 2.4Mbps.

Connectivity may be affected by the following:

Line conditon from the exchange

The cabling from the network connection to your TO.

Your computers hardware and software.

Network usage and congestion.

The server that you are accessing.

You do not pay for speed which is in Mbp/s. You pay for max download limit which is in MB. eg.a 1MB file will take 4 secs to download at 250KB/s

If you exceed your MB limit you may be speed limited to 28.8Kbps.

The only way to get a high speed connection is to have FTTP that is F/O to the network termination point. The F/O terminates in an Network Termination Unit and then your internal cabling can be in Cat5E or Cat6 or standard twisted pair telephone cable.

Edited by electau

Even with all the throttling and other nonsense i'm able to consistently max out my True connection with various methods. I have the standard lowest tier package. I also don't see a difference in the speeds of most of the tiers until you get to the business or high end connections.

Even with all the throttling and other nonsense i'm able to consistently max out my True connection with various methods. I have the standard lowest tier package. I also don't see a difference in the speeds of most of the tiers until you get to the business or high end connections.

Same here. Always the lowest plan, don't want to be disappointed again.

I'm not sure what the point of the OPs post is? Other than perhaps the question in the title?

A couple of items:

TRUE is offering 30 and 50 Mbps ultra high-speed connections over VDSL2, over copper (newly installed) in select buildings so fibre to the building then VDSL2 up to the customer. At least one member here has that service and the reported speeds are as advertised.

Actual performance also varies by application, so with BT you might see a certain level of performance that varies quite widely, especially when the ISP can "control" BT traffic. However with FTP you should be able to get reliable, consistent speeds.

I have 4 Mbps (mega-bits per second) downstream and 512 Kbps (kilo-bits per second) upstream. TOT has yet to "control" my FTP performance. So I see ~ 3.50 Mega-bits per second which seems reasonable. (Obviously I'm dependent on the far-end device having decent connectivity.) (Upstream figure is for BT seeding only.)

post-9615-081403800 1285237974_thumb.jpg

Edited by lomatopo

I have both 16down/1up with 3BB and True in 2 separate properties, here's the daily results I can get with both.

N.B. Both houses are very close to one another (under 1km) and I'm not entirely sure where the local exchanges are for either service, but seeing as Surat Thani is not that massive, I would say it's under 4km.

3BB - Utterly awful. Within Thailand and for international traffic, I get restricted speeds basically all day. Using HTTP downloading with Rapidshare, in conjunction with a download manager on my desktop, I rarely get speeds of over 300kbps, actually I never get those speeds. 3 years ago, when I was on the 5down/1up Premier service from Maxnet (when they weren't yet 3BB) I used to be able to max out, using the same way to test downloading speed. So over 500kbps, basically with an upper limit of ~575kbps. I was really pleased with that, then it just died. FTP is also terrible on this connection.

True - Utterly fantastic. Using the same downloading methods, during the day i'm at around 1450kbps, and say from 11pm onwards, I'm way over 1700kbps, ocasionally reaching 1800kbps. Sufficed to say I'm utterly thrilled with being able to get a 700MB avi in under 5 mins at night. I think of a film, go fix myself a drink and it's ready. In all seriousness for my work it's a godsend.

Fastest download speed I've ever had (albeit momentarily) - ~1990kbps. True 16down/1up in Surat Thani. Winner!

Can't wait to have a go on the VDSLs that lomatopo is referring too, they look really good. Will take a few years for them to reach Surat I would imagine.

Edited by ManInSurat

Yes the question one asked was to do with the speed of your ASDL connection in Thailand.

I am trying to compare these speeds with those in Australia. I have my internet account with Singtel/Optus. It is an ASDL service with a max download limit of 12GB, after that it is speed limited to 28.8kbps.

I am located about 3 km from the exchange and the line is an underground multi-pair standard telephone cable.

My average speed is between 2.0Mbps and 2.4Mbps and average download speeds are between 250KB/s and 300KB/s.

When accessing websites this will vary from about 3secs to over 20secs sometimes. One slow site is Thaivisa.com. This could be the connection or congestion at the Thaivisa server.

It takes about 3 to 5 secs to download a 1.0MB file, which I regard as good.

The largest file I have had to download from a website for a printer software upgrade was 260MB.

Of that amount of 12GB per month I would use only about 2GB max as I do not have need to download large files.

Remember, there are 8 bits in a byte. Speed is in bits per sec, what you download is in bytes.

Now compare the above with your internet usage and connection.

If you regard 512kbps download and 128kbps upload as the minimum acceptable limits with average speed testing and the max SNR of your telephone line as 56dB. and you are not more than 4km cable route length from your exchange.

3BB. poor.

True. 1400kbps to 1700/1800kbps 1900kbps your line length may be excessive or the network in in heavy use.

VDSL. This is FTTP ( fibre to the premises) with this you will get proposed speeds in excess of 8Mbps up to 100Mbps.

Edited by electau