Construction Halted

crusty

I see the authorities have halted construction on the new Sheraton at Chaweng Noi and the Bin Laden apartments next to The Cliff Restaurant. The word is they exceeded height restrictions and went and built above the approved submitted plans. If this is true, there is some hope for Samui, but expect the illegal structures to stay after a brief halt and money changes hands. :(

sorry it has been a while can u reminde the the hight restriction. before i remeber it was so many meters from the beach ?

then so many meters from behinde the main road.

anyone can clear what are the height restrcitions.

cheers

Bin Laden apartments? Are you serious?

There was a large sign in stone on the property near the road just past The Cliff. It may still be there. Remember, the Bin Laden family in Saudi is a huge business empire which also invests in resorts and property. Go figure ! :(

There was a large sign in stone on the property near the road just past The Cliff. It may still be there. Remember, the Bin Laden family in Saudi is a huge business empire which also invests in resorts and property. Go figure ! :(

True, they had (maybe still have) a number of Exec jets registered in the family name and which attracted a lot of interest from

various government agencies post 9/11.

sorry it has been a while can u reminde the the hight restriction. before i remeber it was so many meters from the beach ?

cheers

It's 6m within 60m of the beach and 12m beyond that. 12m give or take the size of your brown envelope of course.

post-90689-049071600 1285234282_thumb.jp

Shame the Conrad isn't on the list! :annoyed:

Well it's hard to pin them on a charge when they build hundreds of four story units on stilts up the face of a vertical monuntain. It looks very unstable and should the big rains arrive next month, it's possible the whole aberration will slide into the sea. I took this pic yesterday, hope it works.

Edited by crusty

That's true but I would think they would know better than to put their name on it all things considered.

post-90689-049071600 1285234282_thumb.jp

Shame the Conrad isn't on the list! :annoyed:

Well it's hard to pin them on a charge when they build hundreds of four story units on stilts up the face of a vertical monuntain. It looks very unstable and should the big rains arrive next month, it's possible the whole aberration will slide into the sea. I took this pic yesterday, hope it works.

What has our Environment Minister been doing about this? Sitting on his hands or accepting the brown envelope? mmm :ph34r:

An investigation must be launched,

Sheraton at Chaweng Noi ( can someone please confirm that a actual sheraton hotel is being built, if so exactly where. I'm someone familiar with chaweng but I've only seen 2 new properties going up, one next to buri rasa hotel and another one not far from centara grand. and if you mean the cliff restaurant do you mean the one not from the the IT complex in lamai? also how do you know its sheraton, the only reports I'm aware of is a Hyatt being built on the other side of the island, a Dusit Thani hotel but dusit is actually doing a management contract to run, manage the previous property of the hotel and change it to a Dusit Hotel. I'm aware of the Japanese Restaurant Fuji actually building a japanese hotel here on koh samui. for my details and information i'll be more than happy to link, and post the information.

Sheraton at Chaweng Noi ( can someone please confirm that a actual sheraton hotel is being built, if so exactly where. I'm someone familiar with chaweng but I've only seen 2 new properties going up, one next to buri rasa hotel and another one not far from centara grand. and if you mean the cliff restaurant do you mean the one not from the the IT complex in lamai? also how do you know its sheraton, the only reports I'm aware of is a Hyatt being built on the other side of the island, a Dusit Thani hotel but dusit is actually doing a management contract to run, manage the previous property of the hotel and change it to a Dusit Hotel. I'm aware of the Japanese Restaurant Fuji actually building a japanese hotel here on koh samui. for my details and information i'll be more than happy to link, and post the information.

Doesnt matter where or who. No significant amount of targetted (those paying good enough rate) customers will stay in 4/5 star accomodation on Samui. In the end they'll get sold off in blocks of 50,100 etc.. to a bargain bucket tour ops (where punter couldnt give a dam_n where and will eat out of a 7/11) for 500 baht per room per night. Perhaps this is why halted.. You'll see droves of those nationalities that share a bottle of water between 6... I could be wrong I have nothing to gain/lose either way, just what I've heard from too many people... :jap:

Edited by mattcodes

You're not even close. Try Fair House and have a look next door and FYI Chaweng Noi is South of Chaweng Yai (Centara Resort) , and oh just to show the cabinet has been on the ball, take a look at this eyesore on Chaweng ! Our Environment Minister is now delegating deputies (with expenses of course) to try and remove such hillside ghettos before the next Samui Regatta.

post-90689-096866800 1285243655_thumb.jp

It is so sad to look around this island and see so many unfinished/unwanted construction sites around.:(

Maybe bad luck/poor management/bad timing/currency movements/tourist numbers etc etc cause people to change their minds ..... but we are left with their rubbish! I think our new Mayor should incorporate a new clause in any new construction contract:-

1A ii) Section C .....

"In the event that you run out of money/change your mind/couldn't be ar#ed ....... you must return the site to its' orginal condition before leaving." :D

If you really want to know if there is any hope for Samui, just go up to the Santiburi Golf Club and take a look at the delightful view from there. Spoilt only by one thing! Look slightly left and you will see a monstrocity of a building clearly in breach of building height regulations by X2!

Your next move would be to make a few discreet enquiries as to who owns this project. When you find out, decide for yourself whether there is any hope.

The first person that has the balls to make someone actually pull down one of these buildings, rather than just "halt" construction will be the saviour of the Island on this particular issue anyway.

I just hope the samui goverment can clear away unfinished bankrupt projects , look at coco near six sense , yes the finished part is nice but they must have 50 - 60 unfinished villas that have overgrown for the last 5 years that need knocking down

cheers

It's 6m within 60m of the beach and 12m beyond that. 12m give or take the size of your brown envelope of course.

suppose u have to have a roof top. haven't seen many roof top balconys in samui. though i am a fan of them

Not sure about Dusit, heard it will be D2 in Choeng Mon, right at the corner towards Tongsai Bay. The one next to Buri Rasa is another KC Resort ( I think they build already for 3 years), may be they open in December, but not sure which year :whistling: The one next to Centara I am not sure.......anyway, more than enough resorts. I only heard that Buri Rasa will close in November for renovation.

If you really want to know if there is any hope for Samui, just go up to the Santiburi Golf Club and take a look at the delightful view from there. Spoilt only by one thing! Look slightly left and you will see a monstrocity of a building clearly in breach of building height regulations by X2!

Your next move would be to make a few discreet enquiries as to who owns this project. When you find out, decide for yourself whether there is any hope.

The first person that has the balls to make someone actually pull down one of these buildings, rather than just "halt" construction will be the saviour of the Island on this particular issue anyway.

:annoyed: Yes it's disgusting, built on "agriculture only" land zoned as coconut groves. Another Coco project, it has been taken over by the Thai partner who is in charge of Coco's old " assets " I hear he's praying the swallows will nest there and make him another fortune !

It is so sad to look around this island and see so many unfinished/unwanted construction sites around.:(

Maybe bad luck/poor management/bad timing/currency movements/tourist numbers etc etc cause people to change their minds ..... but we are left with their rubbish! I think our new Mayor should incorporate a new clause in any new construction contract:-

1A ii) Section C .....

"In the event that you run out of money/change your mind/couldn't be ar#ed ....... you must return the site to its' orginal condition before leaving." :D

A really nice idea itishothere B) They would have to deposit money to cover this as part of the permit request. (Refundable when the project is finished.)

Sadly we live in the real world. I know that we live in paradise, but it's not never-never land :whistling:

I just hope the samui goverment can clear away unfinished bankrupt projects , look at coco near six sense , yes the finished part is nice but they must have 50 - 60 unfinished villas that have overgrown for the last 5 years that need knocking down

The first part of the removal process was carried out by disgruntled employees, owners without houses and unpaid contractors. However, I think that there is only concrete and roof tiles left now.

Looking on the bright side - something is happening there. Concrete posts with barbed wire around the derelict site near Big Buddha Beach. Gardeners working on the main residential part. Security beefed up and a new sign announcing that it is called Thongson Bay Villas. (This is the third Thongson Bay Villas in the area!!! Confusing or what?)

:annoyed: Yes it's disgusting, built on "agriculture only" land zoned as coconut groves. Another Coco project, it has been taken over by the Thai partner who is in charge of Coco's old " assets " I hear he's praying the swallows will nest there and make him another fortune !

Mmmmm. I may have been misinformed then, because I was told it was owned by the then head of planning!

Mmmmm. I may have been misinformed then, because I was told it was owned by the then head of planning!

nah i think you are right and were not misinformed. i have met the gentleman in question several times, both in his work office as well as on site.

That is my information too - Coco just advised on the marketing at the time and had no other interest.

Sheraton Hotels are part of the Starwood Group.

Starwood are the designated management company for the hotel which will be branded "Vanna Belle".

.. as far as I can remember there was only an inscription with "Aden"... missing "bin" and "L" :lol:

nah i think you are right and were not misinformed. i have met the gentleman in question several times, both in his work office as well as on site.

Unbelievable - but hardly surprised!

The first part of the removal process was carried out by disgruntled employees, owners without houses and unpaid contractors. However, I think that there is only concrete and roof tiles left now.

Looking on the bright side - something is happening there. Concrete posts with barbed wire around the derelict site near Big Buddha Beach. Gardeners working on the main residential part. Security beefed up and a new sign announcing that it is called Thongson Bay Villas. (This is the third Thongson Bay Villas in the area!!! Confusing or what?)

Just for the sake of accuracy the site has been re-named Tongson Bay villas. The owners have collectively got together and formed an association to manage the site.