Getting A Residents Letter From Immigration

murni

My husband & I went to Immigration today for letter so we can renew our driving licences.

We do not have a landlord or a yellow book so took the past 6 months elec. bills. They were quite happy to accept these & we duly received our letters. The cost seemed somewhat high 500baht per letter (no receipt), did we pay over the odds?

They used to be free at CM Imm.

I know as I got 2 when I bought a couple of motorsai several years ago. Passport photos, fill out the app, copies of landlord docs- that was it.

Then they stopped issuing them altogether here in CM.

About a year or so ago they started issuing them again. Saw a wall poster 2 days ago at CM Imm that had 500 B as the price for a Certificate of Residency.

Don't know about the lack of receipt issue, but before we all assume that this is something dodgy....perhaps there is no national policy or procedure allowing the Thai police to issue such a document. So the local office is perhaps providing a service that is not written in official policy or procedure...thus the lack of receipt.

The alternative is that one can go to their home country Embassy or Consulate for this document- many members complained bitterly here on this forum (particularly our British brethren) about the exorbitant, usurious tariff charged.

500 B is a deal, compared to the 50 quid or so that I recall was being charged to UK nationals.

;)

• Like 1

Last time I checked the British Consulate charged B1800 & the cert was valid for 12 months. The B500 ones are valid only for 30 days.

They will not accept copies when you go for your license as I tried this, wanting to keep the original for transferring the ownership on my bike.

I've heard numerous horror stories about people going for the 12c month one and at a mere B500 a pop can't really see the point.

The guy (farang) I bought my car from was exceptionally rude to them (irritated he couldn't just sell his car to me without having to pay them money). It took him 5 hrs and cost 1000B. I could see why he was in such a hurry to leave Thailand, he really didn't have a clue how to go about business here.