Thailand To Import Vietnamase, Filipino Workers

george

Thailand mulls import of Vietnamase, Filipino workers

BANGKOK: -- To ease skilled labour shortage in the textile sector, the Labour Ministry will consider importing workers from Vietnam and the Philippines, said Labour Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom.

An executive committee on migrant labour administration will meet in September to decide on the issue and how to make it possible to legally bring in workers from these countries.

Mr. Sora-at said the Textile Industries Association has made an appeal to Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Somkid Jatusripitak for urgent consideration.

Mr Sora-at said he believed the proposal by the textile operators possible, even though in practice, the law on migrant labour will need to be amended.

Currently the Thai law allows for import of migrant labour from three countries namely Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. However, the textile sector said workers from these countries are unskilled and in order to compete in the export market, they need to hire up to 60,000 skilled workers from Vietnam and the Philippines.

--TNA 2005-07-21

What a croc of @#%$! Are they serious? With the amount of unemployment in Thailand and the desire of these people to obtain secure work, why would this be even considered? Particularly for labour intensive positions which are easily filled due to the high cost of education here.

Let me furnish a few guesses why- are these employers and government sick of mistreating thai workers and paying them low wages and want to have a crack at a few other nationalities and pay them even lower wages or who is the guy(s) who have been able to get this labour contract to import these wretched souls for some huge profit and are paying the correct dues to some crooked official.

It was only a month or so ago that Thaksin was wanting to export Thailand`s skilled labour to the middle east Oman I think it was...

Nothing really new there. :D

I had about 100 Thai sparks and plumbers working for me about 25 years ago in Saudi Arabia on prince Sultans new palace in Riyadh.

His old man was one of the C.P (of the in crowd)and Guv of R.

He (the son) used to check out the site on roughly a weekly basis but always drove up in new TOTR Mercedes Benz......... :o sometimes a pink one.

Later on he got a trip up in orbit but believe he was a bit confused about what direction to pray towards.

Total bill for the hoose even at that time was give or take a couple of cents around $50m.....but my Thai guys were happy on $100 a month.....and they were very good workers...,. :D

BANGKOK: --  To ease skilled labour shortage in the textile sector, the Labour Ministry will consider importing workers from Vietnam and the Philippines, said Labour Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom.

An executive committee on migrant labour administration will meet in September to decide on the issue and how to make it possible to legally bring in workers from these countries.

Mr. Sora-at said the Textile Industries Association has made an appeal to Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Somkid Jatusripitak for urgent consideration.

Mr Sora-at said he believed the proposal by the textile operators possible, even though in practice, the law on migrant labour will need to be amended.

Currently the Thai law allows for import of migrant labour from three countries namely Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. However, the textile sector said workers from these countries are unskilled and in order to compete in the export market, they need to hire up to 60,000 skilled workers from Vietnam and the Philippines.

--TNA 2005-07-21

This is most ridiculous thing i have ever heard .

BANGKOK: --  To ease skilled labour shortage in the textile sector, the Labour Ministry will consider importing workers from Vietnam and the Philippines, said Labour Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom.

--TNA 2005-07-21

This is most ridiculous thing i have ever heard .

Absolutely no argument there Jrincon17. I'll bet the average unemployed Thai would be wrapped to hear about that proposed decision :o

I don't know bout Vietnamese but Filipino's will definately not come to work for 150baht/day.

Are you serious or what ? Are you not aware of the conditions in the Philippines ? The level of unemployment is very high and the wages are really pathetic over there.

There would be tens of thousands of Filipinos willing to work for that rate in Thailand.

Cheers,

Jem