Vistiting Family In The U.K.

Gladiator

Hi,

Shortly now, I will be taking a very quick trip back to the U.K,. to visit my daughter (30 years), Partner and Grandaughters ( 1 year and 2 1/2 years).

I do visits at least once a year and they have all come to Chiang Mai. In the past. I previously, have taken gifts of the ususal varietyy . Last time around - wooden elephants and hopefully safe, other artifacts

for my grandaughters and the usual for my daughter and her partner.

This time around I am hoping to find something novel.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quick list of the things I have given people recently:

If you have a good photo of granddaughters, then portrait from the Night Bazaar

Bags from local textile - Sunday market has some really nice hand bags, work bags, wallets. Pricey but one of a kind. Some made with leather and textile.

I know everyone in CM is tired of those wooden frogs, but people abroad still like them!

Pots of local herbal stuff, like tiger balm etc. Better if local ingredients seems more Thai.

Artwork if you can roll it up and take it. Not too big in case they are not crazy about it.

Small pieces of celadon pottery (or big if carrying not a problem).

Chinese tea?

One of those things you hang up with pockets to put mail and things. Pockets go vertically and have a design at the top.

Silk or textile bed cover.

etc etc.

Last but not least a friend of mine once bought one of those plastic toilet roll holders, for her husband :D

Quick list of the things I have given people recently:

If you have a good photo of granddaughters, then portrait from the Night Bazaar

Bags from local textile - Sunday market has some really nice hand bags, work bags, wallets. Pricey but one of a kind. Some made with leather and textile.

I know everyone in CM is tired of those wooden frogs, but people abroad still like them!

Pots of local herbal stuff, like tiger balm etc. Better if local ingredients seems more Thai.

Artwork if you can roll it up and take it. Not too big in case they are not crazy about it.

Small pieces of celadon pottery (or big if carrying not a problem).

Chinese tea?

One of those things you hang up with pockets to put mail and things. Pockets go vertically and have a design at the top.

Silk or textile bed cover.

etc etc.

Last but not least a friend of mine once bought one of those plastic toilet roll holders, for her husband :D

Thank You! Much appreciated -

All great ideas -I hadn't even considered a portraight from Photo at the Night Bazaar.

A painting by an elephant goes down well. Though it is best to buy it at the show and take photos of the elephant at work as people never believe the elephant painted it!

On demand hot water kettle. Not that common or wide a choice in the UK, but very handy to have at home for a cup of tea or coffee.

Thai dining place mats.

100% agree on the portrait from night bazaar.

Edited by iainiain101

Thanks Iain,

I think the the 'Girls' will get a kick out of the elephant painting and photos!

A painting by an elephant goes down well. Though it is best to buy it at the show and take photos of the elephant at work as people never believe the elephant painted it!

On demand hot water kettle. Not that common or wide a choice in the UK, but very handy to have at home for a cup of tea or coffee.

Thai dining place mats.

100% agree on the portrait from night bazaar.

If you dig around in the hilltribe market you can find small Hmong skirts for kids - quite cute and easy to pack.

Maybe you can get someone to screen print a tuk tuk or something on a small Tshirt?

Thai musical instruments if its a musical family might go down well.

Chopsticks and chopstick holders.

Dried spices if they like to cook Thai. Dried Kaffir lime leaves esp. then you won't have to buy those awful ones preserved in brine at Tesco. :sick:

If you dig around in the hilltribe market you can find small Hmong skirts for kids - quite cute and easy to pack.

Maybe you can get someone to screen print a tuk tuk or something on a small Tshirt?

Thai musical instruments if its a musical family might go down well.

Chopsticks and chopstick holders.

Dried spices if they like to cook Thai. Dried Kaffir lime leaves esp. then you won't have to buy those awful ones preserved in brine at Tesco. :sick:

Great! Thanks again CMSally.

When you mention the Hill Tribe market - do you mean onw of the walking street markets?

Hilltribe market is at the back of Warorot. Go east on Chiang Moi and instead of turning left to Kasem store, turn right. After about 80m on the left you will see some hilltribe items on the roadside (if the one roadside store is open). Otherwise you go down the track by foot.(Its just before the muddy canal on that road.) Lots of stalls between there and Gong LeJoe (sp?) which is the back road of Warorot market.