Statutory Declaration Witness For Australian Partner Visa

Please help. My friend - an Australian - is applying for his wife to immigrate to Australia. Since he doesn't know any Aussies in Thailand he asked me to complete a statutory declaration (I only just found out what this is !) since the Aussie immigration need statement from a person that has known both of the applicant and sponsor for a while. This is fine except they also require someone to witness me sign the declaration who has a special type of job e.g. dentist, doctor, nurse, bank officer, public servant, justice of the peace (what is that??)

The problem is I've tried everyone I know and even people I don't know and no-one wants to sign as a witness !!!! :(

I explained to them that they are just witness for my signature on the statement, but no-one believes this and are worried about signing something in English with their address and contact details on it.

(Also why would the Australian visa officer want to contact them anyway, since a witness won't speak English?) I asked my friend perhaps I can sign on the day of interview with visa officer at the embassy, but he insists it needs to be done before. I don't understand why Australian immigration expect another country to be the same as their own laws. What can I do? And where can I go to get witness????

A consular officer at the Australian Embassy can witness your SD. There is a fee involved.

There may not be a fee if the Commonwealth Statutory Declaration form is to be used in Australia or is for the use of an Australian government department. Your signature on the document is only witnessed.

If a Statutory Declaration is to be used within Thailand it must be witnessed by DFAT before it can be used, and this entails a fee. The fee used to be around $18. (Notarisation)

Edited by electau

The Australian Embassy charge $20....at a very bad exchange rate to witness a Stat Dec. It has to be done in person too.

I am also after an Austranian teacher nurse accountant etc to verify a document in ChiangMai. If you fit the sort of category...Australian registered professional give me a PM please.

The Australian Embassy charge $20....at a very bad exchange rate to witness a Stat Dec. It has to be done in person too.

I am also after an Austranian teacher nurse accountant etc to verify a document in ChiangMai. If you fit the sort of category...Australian registered professional give me a PM please.

I had a Comonwealth statutory declaration witnessed at the Australian Embassy about 2 years ago. It was to be used by an Australian Govt department and I was not charged any fee. The declaration was witnessed by an Australian officer.

However, if Australian document is to be used in Thailand, a fee is levied as it is not just witnessed, it is effectively notarised and until that is done the document can not be used in Thailand. Then DFAT does the notarisation.

The Australian Consulate in Chiang Mai may be able to assist you.

Edited by electau

The Australian Embassy (consulate) can witness Commonwealth Statutory Declarations. In Australia there is no charge for witnessing a document.

Statutory declaration forms can be downloaded from this website.

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf/Page/Statutorydeclaration_Statutorydeclarationinformationsheet

Honorary Consulates do not perform notorial services for Australian Citizens.

The Australian Embassy (consulate) can witness Commonwealth Statutory Declarations. In Australia there is no charge for witnessing a document.

Statutory declaration forms can be downloaded from this website.

http://www.ag.gov.au...nformationsheet

Honorary Consulates do not perform notorial services for Australian Citizens.

"If you need to make a Commonwealth statutory declaration overseas, you should be able to contact a person listed under Schedule 2 as an authorised witness at the nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate." see item 6 "Who can witness a Statutory declaration overseas".

Notarisation of documents to be used in Thailand can only be carried out by DFAT at the Australian Embassy.

• 9 months later...

Do the stat decs have to be originals, or can they be scanned and emailed?

Originals.

Keep in mind that all documents submitted for a PR visa must either be the original or a certified copy. And give that a stat dec is a declaration made under oath that is even more reason for the original to be submitted.

You don't need to submit the stat dec's with that application in order for it to be a valid application. A valid application is different from that of a complete application. As long as you make a valid application as provided by the Migration Regulations 1994 you can forward the stat dec's when they are sent to Thailand notwithstanding that the application has already been lodged.

Edited by bridge

I will be getting my friends while here in thailand to fill in and sign the 888 S/D form which in turn has to be witnessed by someone on the list.i.e ,,,jp etc,in which case if i carnt find one here in pattaya to witness my friends 888 stat/d they will have to go to the embassy with me sign it there in front of an OZ officer or pay at the consular counter.

is there another way around is thanks

cat