Macbook Rechargeable Battery

Korat88

My MacBook Rechargeable Battery has expanded and needs to be changed. Has anyone any helpful advice on the best source in Bangkok please? Are all the Mac suppliers about the same or do the costs vary for originals quite a bit from one place to another. I am thinking of going to MBK tomorrow night after work, so would that be okay or am I likely to be wasting time or getting a bad deal there? Thanks for any helpful pointers.

If your plans include leaving and returning to Thailand with in a few months, I would just wait and purchase new battery in your home country. My Macbook battery has also expanded after 3.5 years of use. It's expansion was causing problems with the track pads, due to pressure. My Thai g/f called all the Mac outlets in Bangkok and the cheapest was 4800 baht for a battery with only 2 months guarantee. You can purchase a Macbook battery in the USA for 1500 baht with a year guarantee, I am returning to the USA in 2 months so I am waiting to purchase there.Your expanding battery should still be working-mine is working fine. I just taped in in ( not using the lock-in dial next to battery. If I lock in in it puts pressure on my trackpad. Just put the battery in and apply tape. It will bulge out a bit but will work fine. If you cannot wait then you will have to pay 4800 baht with a 2 month guarantee

If your plans include leaving and returning to Thailand with in a few months, I would just wait and purchase new battery in your home country. My Macbook battery has also expanded after 3.5 years of use. It's expansion was causing problems with the track pads, due to pressure. My Thai g/f called all the Mac outlets in Bangkok and the cheapest was 4800 baht for a battery with only 2 months guarantee. You can purchase a Macbook battery in the USA for 1500 baht with a year guarantee, I am returning to the USA in 2 months so I am waiting to purchase there.Your expanding battery should still be working-mine is working fine. I just taped in in ( not using the lock-in dial next to battery. If I lock in in it puts pressure on my trackpad. Just put the battery in and apply tape. It will bulge out a bit but will work fine. If you cannot wait then you will have to pay 4800 baht with a 2 month guarantee

Try I. T. City, third floor, shops on the left side/back. eBay is another option but the shipping and customs are defeating. If you can find one a non-OEM in Japan, China or India there is no more customs duty when the product is manufactured and shipped from those locations.

Try I. T. City, third floor, shops on the left side/back. eBay is another option but the shipping and customs are defeating. If you can find a non-OEM in Japan, China or India there is no more customs duty when the product is manufactured and shipped from those locations to Thailand.

Just a thought: Before paying good money, you might want to check that your battery doesn't fall under one of the recalls Apple had on batteries in recent years. If so, you could get a new one even if the normal warranty has already expired. Check the Apple website or stop by the official service center located at Siam Discovery (I think on the 4th floor near the outside elevator). I got a new battery for my 3 year old Macbook Pro that way recently.

Edited by fstarbkk

Just a thought: Before paying good money, you might want to check that your battery doesn't fall under one of the recalls Apple had on batteries in recent years. If so, you could get a new one even if the normal warranty has already expired. Check the Apple website or stop by the official service center located at Siam Discovery (I think on the 4th floor bear the outside elevator). I got a new battery for my 3 year old Macbook Pro that way recently.

There is a recall yes, but it is not available in Thailand. I asked.

Just a thought: Before paying good money, you might want to check that your battery doesn't fall under one of the recalls Apple had on batteries in recent years. If so, you could get a new one even if the normal warranty has already expired. Check the Apple website or stop by the official service center located at Siam Discovery (I think on the 4th floor bear the outside elevator). I got a new battery for my 3 year old Macbook Pro that way recently.

I'm pretty sure that all Apple recalls are honored worldwide. My MBP was bought in the US and it didn't make a diff either. Could this be a greedy reseller trying to shell a battery for full retail, instead of just the nominal handling fee that Apple HQ in Singapore would have paid them for getting you the new battery?

I'm pretty sure that all Apple recalls are honored worldwide. My MBP was bought in the US and it didn't make a diff either. Could this be a greedy reseller trying to shell a battery for full retail, instead of just the nominal handling fee that Apple HQ in Singapore would have paid them for getting you the new battery?

Yes it's true. A few months ago I had my expanding battery replaced (no charge) at that Apple shop in IT Center 3rd floor. The dealer's shop is next to the "iBar". I checked first at Panthip and they phoned around Bangkok for me until they located the place (IT Center 3rd floor) that had the batteries in stock. At that time ... none in Panthip, none at Siam, etc . However I think the free replacement battery deal had to be done before a specific date. Can't remember the date or if it's already past. You can probably find out yourself by going to the Mac website and looking under the "support" menu. You can also find the info there regarding which model MacBooks and which serial number range qualifies for the free battery trade-in. Also if they will still do the trade (good battery for the bad one) you need to take your old battery plus the serial number of your MacBook. They want to look at your old battery to ensure it is defective (swelling) and was really supplied by Apple and it isn't a cheap Chinese or 3rd party knock-off battery. They also need to check your machine serial number because serial numbers within a certain range qualify for the free battery replacements.

Otherwise, from experience I found that almost no one in Bangkok carries Mac laptop batteries in stock, especially for models other than the current ones. I have always purchased Mac laptop batteries online. You can get higher capacity and cheaper 3rd party batteries for Mac laptops buying online and I've never had any problems with customs or receiving them by mail in Bangkok.

Yes it's true. A few months ago I had my expanding battery replaced (no charge) at that Apple shop in IT Center 3rd floor. The dealer's shop is next to the "iBar". I checked first at Panthip and they phoned around Bangkok for me until they located the place (IT Center 3rd floor) that had the batteries in stock. At that time ... none in Panthip, none at Siam, etc . However I think the free replacement battery deal had to be done before a specific date. Can't remember the date or if it's already past. You can probably find out yourself by going to the Mac website and looking under the "support" menu. You can also find the info there regarding which model MacBooks and which serial number range qualifies for the free battery trade-in. Also if they will still do the trade (good battery for the bad one) you need to take your old battery plus the serial number of your MacBook. They want to look at your old battery to ensure it is defective (swelling) and was really supplied by Apple and it isn't a cheap Chinese or 3rd party knock-off battery. They also need to check your machine serial number because serial numbers within a certain range qualify for the free battery replacements.

Otherwise, from experience I found that almost no one in Bangkok carries Mac laptop batteries in stock, especially for models other than the current ones. I have always purchased Mac laptop batteries online. You can get higher capacity and cheaper 3rd party batteries for Mac laptops buying online and I've never had any problems with customs or receiving them by mail in Bangkok.

Thank you very much for all the replies and the prompt to check out Siam Discovery IT Center on the 3rd Floor. I think I will have to pay a visit this week and see what happens. I will also check out the Mac website and see what I can find out beforehand. Many thanks again.

If I may tag my not too dissimilar query to this thread.

My macbook (black, less than 3 years old)'s battery swelled up - though not so badly that I couldn't screw it in. And I noticed that it wasn't charging to much more than 2 hrs. Thinking it needed replacing - which of course the local reseller assured me I had to do - I bought a new one from them (Apple shop for 5900 bht). This new one also would not charge up for much more than a 2 hr or so capacity. After testing it through a couple more recharges I went back to them. After playing around with the macbook they suddenly got it to show a 4+ hours charge. They had no explanation - must have been voodoo or magic he said. Back home it did that once with me and now again won't go to a charge beyond 2 hrs or so. They suggest I leave my mac and battery both with them a couple of days and they'll run a diagnostic etc. My macbook is still within the extended warranty period, and obviously the battery is within the automatic 1-yr warranty.

Any ideas on the problem? Is it perhaps in my mac or the cable or its connexion in the mac?

If I may tag my not too dissimilar query to this thread.

My macbook (black, less than 3 years old)'s battery swelled up - though not so badly that I couldn't screw it in. And I noticed that it wasn't charging to much more than 2 hrs. Thinking it needed replacing - which of course the local reseller assured me I had to do - I bought a new one from them (Apple shop for 5900 bht). This new one also would not charge up for much more than a 2 hr or so capacity. After testing it through a couple more recharges I went back to them. After playing around with the macbook they suddenly got it to show a 4+ hours charge. They had no explanation - must have been voodoo or magic he said. Back home it did that once with me and now again won't go to a charge beyond 2 hrs or so. They suggest I leave my mac and battery both with them a couple of days and they'll run a diagnostic etc. My macbook is still within the extended warranty period, and obviously the battery is within the automatic 1-yr warranty.

Any ideas on the problem? Is it perhaps in my mac or the cable or its connexion in the mac?

I can't help you with your query triffid, sorry, but I thought I would give an update on my trip to Siam Discovery today. Went to the 4th Floor, told the Mac shops were not on the 3rd, and sure enough found an Apple outlet that sold all manner of Apple products. I asked them if they could help with the battery and showed it to them but they said no and that it would take around 1 week to source another replacement, but when pushed they said I should try the Macintosh Center Co. on the same floor right at the end in the 'corner' near the book shop. I went in there and a woman looked up the serial number of my computer and found out that I was no longer under warranty and would have to buy a new battery. When I asked her how much she told me 5,600 Baht + 7.00% tax and so I walked out with my new battery and 5992 Baht lighter. Strange that the outlet just down the corridor said not available and they had one, but there you go. I would suggest everyone who has a battery problem should go to the Macintosh Center 1st and check their serial number to make sure whether they qualify for a free replacement or not as soon as a problem develops. Hope that helps someone else. Thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction.

I can't help you with your query triffid, sorry, but I thought I would give an update on my trip to Siam Discovery today. Went to the 4th Floor, told the Mac shops were not on the 3rd, and sure enough found an Apple outlet that sold all manner of Apple products. I asked them if they could help with the battery and showed it to them but they said no and that it would take around 1 week to source another replacement, but when pushed they said I should try the Macintosh Center Co. on the same floor right at the end in the 'corner' near the book shop. I went in there and a woman looked up the serial number of my computer and found out that I was no longer under warranty and would have to buy a new battery. When I asked her how much she told me 5,600 Baht + 7.00% tax and so I walked out with my new battery and 5992 Baht lighter. Strange that the outlet just down the corridor said not available and they had one, but there you go. I would suggest everyone who has a battery problem should go to the Macintosh Center 1st and check their serial number to make sure whether they qualify for a free replacement or not as soon as a problem develops. Hope that helps someone else. Thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction.

It's unfortunate you had to pay for the battery. For the past few years I've started buying the extended AppleCare warranty for all my Mac products, and believe me it's paid for itself several times over. Macs used to be bulletproof. But in recent years as they have brought down prices to "almost" PeeCee levels, using the every-day cheaper components, the usefulness and economy of extended AppleCare has increased. Almost half my Mac products (MacBook Pros, Mac Pro, iMacs, and iPods) have required service or repair before the end of the 3-year extended warranty. And believe it or not ... because of Apple's replacement policies ... I've received free MacBook and iPod replacements for my items they couldn't repair in Bangkok. This is in addition to the free service and repair (including free batteries) that I've received. I think the extended AppleCare these days is a bargain.

It's unfortunate you had to pay for the battery. For the past few years I've started buying the extended AppleCare warranty for all my Mac products, and believe me it's paid for itself several times over. Macs used to be bulletproof. But in recent years as they have brought down prices to "almost" PeeCee levels, using the every-day cheaper components, the usefulness and economy of extended AppleCare has increased. Almost half my Mac products (MacBook Pros, Mac Pro, iMacs, and iPods) have required service or repair before the end of the 3-year extended warranty. And believe it or not ... because of Apple's replacement policies ... I've received free MacBook and iPod replacements for my items they couldn't repair in Bangkok. This is in addition to the free service and repair (including free batteries) that I've received. I think the extended AppleCare these days is a bargain.

My extended applecare on the macbook has not expired but they tell me it doesn't cover the battery. So I too have paid the 5900 for a new one.

I had my battery replaced free under a recall type thingy because it became slightly misshapen on one side. Cannot remember but maybe it has to be under 300 cycles of use. You can check the cycles by clicking top left APPLE LOGO then ABOUT THIS MAC then on the panel MORE INFO then BATTERY>HEALTH>CYCLE COUNT

Ridiculous price 5600 for a mass produced item like that!

Edited by sleepyjohn