Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

when we did have a go a breeding, i didnt have farrow cages, when i new she was getting ready, i would put a bale of straw in there and she would make the nest herself,

if you try and help her do this, she will only move it to were she wanted it,

i farrowed in 3x4mt pens, then when i weaned i just took the sow out, and the piglets stayed in there till they went to mrkt,

but i was only small scale, i had 7 sows,

now i dont have any, we just buy piglets in,

the reason being, is that princess, yes i named them,,lol,, had her first litter of 6 healthy piglets all on her own, i came down one morning and there they were,

browny should of been a week after her, to only have 1 still born, and she went funny with me, from being one very tame sow, she was trying to get me,

my wife say she big angree with you, she think you take her baby,

so that was it all the sows went, not for the sake of me, but for my wife who takes care of them when i not there, she is only 37kilo and could get hurt easy,

to be honest, the happiest i have seen pigs is outside, but in my opinion it would be hard to do here becouse of the sun and sun burn, but my friend terry from the farm i mentioned in england, his pigs are happy, they farrow outside in straw in thwe arcs and they are a happy lot,

maybe im to soft and should think more of profits, but i love to keep pigs, and if i only make a little bit im happy as long as the pigs have had a happy but short life with me,

soft old sod that i am,,lol

jake,

just my opinion though,

I'm looking for a pure Large White sow from around 6 or 7 months. I prefer around Khon Kaen or transport can be talk about.

Also I look for pure crossbreed sows (father Landrace, mother Large White)

Who can help me on my search.

Thx

me too, i need one

I sent a listing of the gilts I currently have for sale to CPP. If you would like a copy please let me know [email protected]

The listing is of the gilts on my farm. As I said to CPP, pick out what you are interested in and I will send you the detailed pedigree with projected breeding schedule in English and Thai.

Randall

I was not sure it would work, but following is the inventory of gilts. There are another 20 but they are dedicated to a Thai Gov research center project. Report is sorted by birth date within breed.

Perhaps a stupid question, but does anyone know a faster way to know if the sow is pregnant.

With a scanner we don't talk about.

And what are signs from the sow so you know she is pregnant. How you can see?

Is it possible to know it faster than to wait till 21 days.

Because even than it's difficult.

Thx

Great question!

21, 42, 63 etc - it is all a matter of watching around the key time. We let our "walking boy" walk the entire bred sow area several times a week to see if any sows respond to him.

At times if I was unsure about the timing of the breeding we will hang a colored string by the sows cage around day 19 so we make sure to really watch that sow; It could be a practice done with all bred sows on each of the 21 day pattern after breeding.

The signs are the same as when you bred her, she would be back in heat again.

There is equipment but between the expense and learning curve for small farms I do not think it is affordable.

If you find a really good method I would love to know about it and implement it.

Randy

IMAG000.JPG
IMAG001.JPG
IMAG009.JPG
IMAG010.JPG
Biologicals and Pharmaceuticals
IMAG012.JPG

Indications Cross Reference to Products

http://biotechagribusiness.info/BioProIndication.html

This is a site I researched and then wrote for BACO - it is a good page if you want to cross reference the pigs sick indications to the corresponding drup to administer.

Randy

Great question!

21, 42, 63 etc - it is all a matter of watching around the key time. We let our "walking boy" walk the entire bred sow area several times a week to see if any sows respond to him.

At times if I was unsure about the timing of the breeding we will hang a colored string by the sows cage around day 19 so we make sure to really watch that sow; It could be a practice done with all bred sows on each of the 21 day pattern after breeding.

The signs are the same as when you bred her, she would be back in heat again.

There is equipment but between the expense and learning curve for small farms I do not think it is affordable.

If you find a really good method I would love to know about it and implement it.

Randy

My working boar walked the aisle twice a day. I let which ever one was on "Duty" out of his pen and then waited as he said his hellos and usually got his knock backs. When they got a response, they were all the same, they knew exactly which gate to run and stand outside off. My only job was to open that gate then observe. Whatever the outcome in the pen, we would be back to open the same door again 12 hours later, and kept going back until the answer changed.

I always scratched each sows back just above her tail every day during cleaning or when entering a pen. Tail down, get lost, stays up, maybe, but a nice little hello between us.

What I learnt? Relax, it is not up to me (thankfully for once in this country)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

whats the news in the pig game,?

im not home till 30th november, ive got a couple of exams to do mid november,

will it be worth me getting a batch of piglets when i get back?

ill proply get some anyway, as i really enjoy looking after them,

been quiet in this thread for a long time, come on guys you must have some news to share,

take care all jake

Hi Jake, glad you still have the liking for pigs. Me too and I miss my herd enormously. But sometimes the hardest decisions are due to timing and cash flows, mine was.

The prices have improved markedly with most areas the industry association monitors recording 72 to 77 baht per live Kg. Piglets at 1900+/- 71. Meat prices are controlled at 140 and 145 baht per kg but most markets still selling at 130 mark.

Perhaps someone else can fill Jake in on feed prices as I haven't followed them for a few months.

• Like 1

Jake, you asked "what's up" in the Thai pig business?

Price of piglets is UP!!!!

About two months ago the government set price for a 16kg piglet was 1,300 baht, today it is 1,900 baht.

My thought, "keep moving it UP!" and then up so more - I need to make up for the losses when it was low.

Afternoon Porkers,

I am teaching 6 days a week at the moment leaving Wifey at the helm. We bought 16 piglets for the price of 14, very well cared for from a nearby farm, fixed price so no extra baht per kilo and very cheap. Wifey sold 3 pigs 35 - 40 Kg each for local parties for a good profit so happy days all round.

I get home now to see wifey in a cloud of steam making her own pig food, she does not want to buy any manufactured food as she has the cookbook out and the results speak for themselves. Pigs eating, looking healthy and a good size. I have been watching the pigs and have a few tricks to get them to eat more. Local prices in the area are still high for the seller.

Take care people.

Mr Changers

Hi Jake, glad you still have the liking for pigs. Me too and I miss my herd enormously. But sometimes the hardest decisions are due to timing and cash flows, mine was.

The prices have improved markedly with most areas the industry association monitors recording 72 to 77 baht per live Kg. Piglets at 1900+/- 71. Meat prices are controlled at 140 and 145 baht per kg but most markets still selling at 130 mark.

Perhaps someone else can fill Jake in on feed prices as I haven't followed them for a few months.

yes mate i understand you,

i love to look after the pigs, only reason we sold the last lot before i came away was with mac having little janet i thought it would be to much for her,

when i get back ill just go and buy 60, as you know from before i get piglets at a very good price, and although hard work i really love to do it,

and im not joking i have mine as tame as bloody dogs,,lol,

i know you must miss yours mate i used to love reading about what you was upto, very informative and helped me along a few times, that what it used to be like we were all here to help each other,

no planes mate to re-stock at any time soon?

i miss your writings,

take care jake

Been selling at 64 for several months now (2 pigs a each 2 days to the same buyer). Sold at 64 when cp was at 65 and still sell at 64 now that cp is at 73. But will. Go up when meat goes to 140.

I make a Nice profit on these.

To others I now sell at 66.

PS Betagro gives 10nath discount per bag during August.

Sent from my i-mobile i-style 7.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i no were your coming from mate, i cant wait to get home and get some little ones to bring on,

its a shame ive got 12 pens doing nothing, well saying that mac has told me that the ducks are laying in number 1 pen,,lol, she said very easy darling i just go in there in the morning and all the eggs in 2 nests,,lol,

couple of old pics, there what i miss, when i first get them home and start taming them, theres some bloody carectors in there, there just like having a litter of pups, some bold and some shy,,lol,

when i get home ill post more pics when i get them and try and post every couple of weeks, macs been busy sorting out the internet for our house now all finnished,

take care all and good luck,

jake

post-32351-0-30494800-1376016520_thumb.j

post-32351-0-36759300-1376016540_thumb.j

Hi pigsters,

I have been raising bought in piglets to 100k for 3 years now. We raise around 100-120 pigs in 4 months which comes to about 30 each month.

I now am at the stage that my trusted piglet supplier may not be able to supply enough piglets if I want to expand further and I feel I am getting too dependent on them. Since I do not fancy getting piglets from unknown suppliers I think its time to try my hand at breeding.

I want to start with 3-4 sows and am currently planning the breeding facilities. I don’t have a strong position on the gestation crate/ gestation pen discussion but are a bit worried about the potential leg problems/bed-sores with sows staying most of their lives in gestation crates. A second arguments against gestation crates is the opposition against them in many countries and I wonder. what is going to happen if the ASEAN markets open.

But I also have had some bad experiences with group housing larger pigs and worry about introducing new gilts to a a group.

So I thought I might do the following; any comments and suggestions, are very much appreciated.

1) House 4 sows in 4 individual 2-3meter pens. This would give them room to lay down on their sides and stand/walk a bit. These dimensions are similar to the pen of my boar and he seems quite happy

Would these dimensions be OK?

2) The boar is in a separate 2-4 meter pen (have had him over a year as a hobby pig since I didnt have any sows).

3) The boar would ‘ service’ the sows in their own pens and they would stay in their pen until a few days before planned birth.

4) I have got a second hand farrowing crate which I plan to put in a special 2-3m farrowing pen.

A few days before the planned birth I would lead the sow to the farrowing crate where she and the piglets would stay until after weaning. Then the piglets would go to their small pens and the sow back to her individual pen.

5) I am considering getting one gestation crate to make AI easier if ‘natural’ impregnation is not possible/unsuccessful. Would this be wise or can AI be done easily in the individual pens described.

Question: Can I put the sow-pens next to the boar’s (easy to ‘service’) or should I put the farrowing pen / small piglets pens in between?

For this phase of my operation I have 14-4 meters to work with. If it is successful I might build another bigger facility.

But I want to try breeding on a small scale first because of several reasons, one of the main ones being that I don’t have full time electricity at my farm. Prices to getting an electricity line there have been prohibitive and I use a generator. And I cannot run that cost effectively at night for heating lamps for the small piglets.

And the individual stalls could easily be used in my current raising to 100kg operation if my breeding is not successful

Again, any comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Revar.

Edited by revar
  • Like 1

I personally have not tried this because with 80 to 100 sows I do not have room BUT here is what one customer does.

He let's the sow stay in her quarters ALL of the time. She breeds and farrows and lives in the single room.

Off of the end of the cage is a small separate area that the piglets can enter use to stay away from her when they are not suckling.

All are happy and the piglets appear to thrive as does the sow.

Personally, I do not like letting a boar mount and instead use AI but i think your plan is also good there in letting him come to her cage. Housing him close is not a perfect answer because of over stimulation but it really does not matter. She will come into heat when she is ready, with our without his being close.

If I were to rebuild a farm in an area with space I would have all sows housed in the quarters where they can move around and farrow their young.

Just my opinion - good luck.

Randall

Running a sow farm is not an easy task if you don't have experience from before. I know some of you do not agree, but if you want to work with high performance sows then it is a big task.

You could go with Betagro. Easy to manage. Can eat almost everything include Betagro's own feed :) But low profit.

Thanks Randall,

If possible I want to use AI. But I have to learn it and vets are not easily available around here. I will learn how to do it but until then the 'Mounting ' is a viable option.

Would it be wise to put the farrowing pen an

d kindergarten between the boar pen and sow pens to prevent overstimulation?

Hi Jompa,

I am not planning a sow farm. My core business is raising pigs but I need to become independent of my piglet supplier. Do you mean Betagro - sows?

I use both SPM and Betagro feed and actually had a Betagro shop in the past.

I can get both Betagro and SPM sows and gilts at good prices.

Just go ahead and let the boar mount in her cage. Over stimulation is a problem, but it is not big enough for you to worry about on your small farm. Nature is wonderful, the sow will come into heat when she is ready. Just be very careful if you get in a gilt that you want the boar to mount. I had a boar "get away" from me once and he jumped a gilt and broke both of her hind legs.

Right now piglets are in demand. I have had orders for over a thousand piglets in the last three weeks. Even some rather pig companies, at least compared to our farm, are calling looking for piglets. I am an agent for a very large farm and hope to service the orders but I cannot from our farm, we only produce about 250 piglets a month.

If you do need new gilts and cannot breed your own stick to one supplier. The fewer germs introduced by outside gilts entering your the better.

I think your plans are great. You really don't need any crates, just use the area she lives in.

With Betagro, talk to your sales person and ask about the Betagro Farm feed line, it is cheaper but I am not sure you order enough feed to qualify.

Best of luck to you,

Randy

I got allot of information regarding A.I from Randall. Thx alot. It's quit easy to do. The only tricky part we had, was to extract semen from the boar. We had to bring in a guy to teach us.

One nice thing with A.I compare with "old school" is that we use a microscope. With it we can verify quality of the semen. With "old school" technique, a boar can be used for long time before you relaise that he have problem with his sperm production (low or infinite).

All information you need to success, is in the link below.

BTW don't forget to ask Randall for some pictures of how to create your own sow dummy ;)

http://www.thepigsite.com/focus/pic/3409/artificial-insemination-records

http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/swine/porkpage/repro/pubs/basic2.htm

http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/article/580/semen-collection-and-artificial-insemination-on-the-farm