Suvarnabhumi Aims At World Top Ten Best Airports

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport aims at world top ten best airports

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Suvarnabhumi Airport Director vows to develop the airport in all aspects, targeting to be among the best top ten airports of the world.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Mr Nirun Teeranatsin said that the airport was pushing ahead to develop all related services continuously to facilitate passengers. The strategy of ‘Airport of Smile’ has been brought into use with the cooperation from several relevant agencies such as airlines, the Immigration Division, the Custom Department, and operators in the Airport to serve passengers with smiles and the best services.

Throughout the past four years of the airport operation, all aspects of services have been enhanced to be listed in the world top ten airports with best services. Those facilities have been developed such as seats in the terminals and investigation system.

Mr Nirun added that passengers traveling through Suvarnabhumi Airport in 2010 was expected at 42 million people.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-27 footer_n.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until they provide some real services and facilities for passengers it will never reach the top ten. One of the worst modern airports for transit passengers, and not much better for others.

Not this again. It'll only ever reach top 10 status if they substitute 'World' for Indochina, and would even struggle then.

How about concentrating on fishing the <deleted> thing first and providing a decent service before considering such things!!

I like the airport. Pass through it maybe ten or so times a year, the lounges are decent enough, good range of food available, they've done well to reduce waiting times at the immigration departure point- no more pot luck guessing which queue to choose as everyone gets put in the same one- same with security. I don't use it for transit though, so I can't comment on that. But for flying out and flying home, it's always been pretty good to me, I've never had the nightmare situations that places like Heathrow regularly throw up.

• Like 1

Not this again. It'll only ever reach top 10 status if they substitute 'World' for Indochina, and would even struggle then.

How about concentrating on fishing the <deleted> thing first and providing a decent service before considering such things!!

Hmmm.... Strictly speaking, Thailand is not part of Indochina which comprises Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia (all former French colonies). In a wider sense, Indochina would include Thailand, yes, but also Singapore and Malaysia. Yes, Swampy would make the top-10 list because there are not even 10 airports in that region to make that list to start with, but never in this life Swampi can even pretend to compete with Changi...

They should have aimed for this when they built the place. Now the concrete is in place and is not so easily changed. About all they could do is tear the entire thing down and build it the right way. We all know that what would happen would just be a repeat of what already went down. This is how things go when the nouveau riche people that started off as farmers think that they are the top of the elite totem pole.

Thailand will never have the best airport, resorts or beaches. The beaches used to be good but lack of planning is what went wrong and that is what is killing Thailand in almost every regard. They should make the airport better value for money. Perhaps use their national asset of TG to assist them to do so. TG is the same way though they think they are the best because some incompetent people that are high up are involved and think they are the best. TG is the national carrier and charges so much money it is fitting they fly into Suwanabumi. Given the parallel of mediocrity in both entities.

The arrogance in Thailand is astounding. They are the best in the region, but compared to what?

Burma, Cambodia, Laos? Wow that is amazing! If they keep squandering their chances it won't be long before this isn't the case. They are above average for now in Indochina but this is no great feat.

With corruption as endemic as it is in Thailand and the police being essentially ineffectual against touts and scams there is little realistic hope for change anytime soon.

I hope Viet Nam builds a nice hub as they are currently discussing as maybe it would be a wake up call for Thailand.

• Like 2

Whilst I applaud any effort to improve the airport, they can't even work out how to open up all the exits they have built at arrivals.

A good start would be the screens showing arrivals, and which carousel your bag is coming out of. Change the layout and put Thai and English up there together instead of having it change every 20 seconds or so. Someone needs to do repeated walk throughs at arrivals/exit, the amount of people who have to go back into the area to get to taxis/buses etc shows that the signs aren't clear.

Do they still have the "no entry" A4 papers sellotaped on the 2 feet high doors into the immigration booths? A 6 year old can hurdle the doors. At least the last time I was there, 'End of the walkway' repeating voice had gone. It was so loud you could hear it blaring like a cacophony throughout the entire length of all the walkways. Keep the glass clean which probably contributes 10% of the entire revenue of the owners of windowlene, and when it is 45c outside, jazz up the airconditioning in departures. As for the wires hanging down behind the sensors on the hand basins, well, a bit of black insulation tape on electrical wires next to a tap always inspires confidence.

I heard that they were in some way consulting with Incheon. As airports go, beyond Singapore, that is up there with the best.

Over the last 4 years, I have been travelling about 250,000 miles per year, all over Asia, some in Europe and North America. My Top Ten Airport List based on having been through about 25 airports WW during this timeframe:

1) Changi (no brainer)

2) Hong Kong (excellent train service to Kowloon and HK Island)

3) Denpasar (OK, mainly because it's Bali; but still a decent airport and close to Kuta Beach)

4) KL (best immigration; no need to fill out arrival form)

5) Beijing (the new Terminal 3 is great)

6) Pudong/Shanghai

7) Munich

8) Seattle SETAC

9) Swampy (yeah immigration sucks in high season, otherwise I never have to wait more than 10 min)

10) SFO (San Francisco)

Seoul/Incheon and Narita are also very good; I just hate the 90 minute bus rides into the city.

Free Wireless internet across the airport.

Clean up the touts and that new dodgy booth selling over priced shuttle train tickets.

Sort out the SHIT waiting area thats way too small, and funnel people through one exit only.

Kick out the WAY over priced King Power rip off duty free..... its cheaper to buy things in Central department store than at King power.

I'd say its about 15th-20th on my list, behind most European, Asian, Middle eastern airports.... if they are lucky.

Hmmm.... Strictly speaking, Thailand is not part of Indochina which comprises Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia (all former French colonies). In a wider sense, Indochina would include Thailand, yes, but also Singapore and Malaysia. Yes, Swampy would make the top-10 list because there are not even 10 airports in that region to make that list to start with, but never in this life Swampi can even pretend to compete with Changi...

Wiki's a gem ain't it?

"In a strict sense, Indochina comprises the territory of the former French Indochina:"

"However, in a wider sense, the cultural region is better described as Mainland Southeast Asia in which sense it also includes:"

You know, trying to sound smart in this day 'n age will easily get you found out unless you know how to rewrite effectively. :whistling:

But lets not get too annal now. The point was to highlight just how inept Thailand's number one airport is when considering such things - not dealing with fundamental issues conductive to a flag-carrying airport and at the same time attempting to pull the wool over everyone's eyes by making such statements. Must be an Asian thing.

The first thing they might try is to provide seating for people in between flights waiting for the ticket windows to open. Then try to take the big barn motif out of the 4th floor.

Agreed immigration should be giving lessons in how to smile make me feel welcome not what is the problem.. :jap:

I only need to look at a single aspect of the airport to grade it - the area where ordinary people waits to receive incoming friends and relatives.

If you look at the design of arrival floor from the luggage belts to customs inspection, you get the feeling the original design intended a layout similar to that of Changi airport, where the public can see the ongoings in this area through glass walls. Somehow this has been changed, probably to avoid the prying eyes of the public.

Thus, the meeting point is now the narrow neck of a funnel. If a nice and welcoming layout can thus be changed, what else have not been? And they aspire to be in the top 10?

It just doesn't make sense that it's a new airport and that you sometimes have to take a BUS after getting off. For that reason alone, it would never make the top 10 for me.

I thought the domestic departures terminal was very poorly signed and organised.

One time recently I had to wait around 1 hour to pass immigration, the line was ridiculously long and not all immigration desks were opened.

Considering how new the airport is, it doesn't rank high in my view.

• Like 1

Inspiration of genius ... to put in more seats for passengers ... that'll get Swampy to Number-One for sure ! <_<

My own current-favourite (I have a slightly-gimpy leg this year) would be to have the travelator from the Domestic-Arrivals area (A/B) to the International-Transit Check-In Desks (E/F) available again, it's one heck of a long way from A to E, and forcing many to go upstairs and march past seemingly-miles of (King Power ... No Thanks !) shopping-arcades is simply not customer-friendly. :(

Building the cheaper/simpler/low-service LCC-terminal, and releasing lots more full-service area/gates in the main-terminal for full-service airlines, has also been announced so many times (and not delivered) that it's getting beyond-a-joke. :whistling:

--

Yes, it might be the top ten Airport with the highest landing Fee's and airport Taxes :)

It is not always preferred by transatlantic flights or for stopovers to australia, as it is to expensive for the Airline's.

And, with this political Situation in Thailand, some Airlines & Tour Operators are starting to avoid Thailand.

--

Over the last 4 years, I have been travelling about 250,000 miles per year, all over Asia, some in Europe and North America. My Top Ten Airport List based on having been through about 25 airports WW during this timeframe:

1) Changi (no brainer)

2) Hong Kong (excellent train service to Kowloon and HK Island)

3) Denpasar (OK, mainly because it's Bali; but still a decent airport and close to Kuta Beach)

4) KL (best immigration; no need to fill out arrival form)

5) Beijing (the new Terminal 3 is great)

6) Pudong/Shanghai

7) Munich

8) Seattle SETAC

9) Swampy (yeah immigration sucks in high season, otherwise I never have to wait more than 10 min)

10) SFO (San Francisco)

Seoul/Incheon and Narita are also very good; I just hate the 90 minute bus rides into the city.

I understand your point, but would you consider the following substitutions?

3. No way on Denpassar. Langkawi and even Koh Samui are so much better. Koh Samui is like a private club. Langkawi is modern.

5-6. I dunno. AMS and FRA are pretty good compared to them.

10. SFO although smaller than BKK is a mess since the renovations started. (But yes it is beautiful and well run.) I'd put the new YVR right up at 5 or 6 . They spent a fortune on the place for the winter Olympics.

Chiang Mai's airport is so boring and dirty. One of the worst airports in Thailand has to be Phuket. It's had some cosmetic work but it can't handle the crowds.

First step would be to remove all these gangs operating in the Airport

Totally agree , specially the fake taxi drivers who think single men only go to Pattaya , they dont stay inside the terminal anymore but outside now. Not to mention the airport staff working in hands with some taxi drivers who probably give back to them some "tea money", it happen to me once arriving from chiang mai, taxi asked 600 baht to town I said NO use the meter , a staff from the airport said that was the normal price, yeah sure been here for so long I know prices.. when I asked her name she refuse to tell me and I went to report her to the "complain desk" totally useless they all help each others.

Clean up the mess first if you want your airport to be at least in the top 50.

Ever see those large 'food protector baskets' that you put over plates of leftover Thai food waiting for the next meal time?

That's what Suvarnabhumi is.

A uniform looking shell with a whole lot of leftovers (from Don Muang, as in shops, logistics, service, mentality, etc.) and mess underneath.

• Like 1

Suvarnabhumi Airport awarded handicapped-friendly place

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Suvarnabhumi International Airport has been bestowed the 2010 outstanding handicapped-friendly award by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security.

According to Suvarnabhumi Airport General Manager Nirandra Theeranartsin, the airport is the only agency graded excellent as a friendly place for the handicapped out of 132 competitors in the contest.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport has been equipped with facilities giving the best convenience for people from all walks of life, especially the handicapped. Special parking area, toilets, emergency sign buttons, seats, handrails, and other signs have been specially provided for the disabled.

In addition, doors entering the terminal, height of information counters and water stands, lifts with Braille letters, and many other facilities have been adjusted to be suitable for usage of the handicapped.

From the contest, Suvarnabhumi International Airport receives a cash prize of 50,000 THB and a certificate. 22 agencies have been graded good, and 29 fair; 22 other agencies receive complimentary awards.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-28 footer_n.gif

Where do you people come from? If you hate everything about Thailand, leave!

On the subject of Airports, BKK will not make the top ten for a lot of reasons, but I can name a lot of major airports in other parts of the world which are much more unpleasant. Let's start with LHR-an awful airport to transit through on your way here from the US (if you like 30 minute bus rides from one terminal to the next then you're in luck). The new terminal is an exercise in austere modernism and is already dirty due to lack of maintenance. JFK, an airport which is not even on my top ten for the US, is better. LAX is awful, try switching terminals or getting a cab there. CDG is not too bad, until you want to use public transport to get into the city. Their rental car lots are a mess as well.

NRT, not too bad to transit through, but a frankly dumpy looking airport (however, the JAL lounge is the best b-class lounge I've seen in Asia).

Changi is fine, but hardly what I would call special. The terminal Thai flies into is fine, but it's not like the immigration people are any friendlier there. A plus is that it is close to the city.

The best is HKG, although it is big. Getting between flights can be a challenge even if you use the train (it's a long way down). The immigration lines can be absolutely awful.

CAN and Chengdu are the new breed of Chinese airports; efficient, modern-actually pretty nice. Customs can be a hassle sometimes, and you can see where they cut the occasional corner during construction.

Of all the airports I've listed BKK would be clearly behind HKG. It would be behind Changi only because of the huge shopping mall you, annoyingly I agree, have to walk through. If you're dumb enough to use an AOT "limo" that's your fault, as it is fairly easy to get a taxi downstairs. If you don't know how to get around the security area to go to the arrival halls, you need to be a little more creative. I imagine they have one meeting point because passengers can access either arrival haul. Perhaps a nicer set up would be good as far as seating, but I would struggle to think of another international airport in the US which is clearly better in this regard. What they need to improve are the finishes like the chicken wire ceiling in baggage claim and immigration.

Whatever you do, please do not tell me the DMK was better.

PS the best airport in the US is TPA.

• Like 1