Is Greed Killing Thai-Saudi Ties?

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Is greed killing Thai-Saudi ties?

By Avudh Panananda

The Nation

The ties between Thailand and Saudi Arabia should improve, but it doesn't look like that will happen soon if the two Kingdoms choose to dwell in the past.

Greed is one of the biggest cardinal sins behind most human foibles. But should the greed of certain individuals be allowed to dictate relations between two sovereign nations?

As things stand now, the Thai and Saudi people are being held hostage to a heinous crime committed by a handful of culprits. Even though the Saudi government has every right to demand justice, the hard fact that not all crimes can be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved should be accepted.

In November, the Criminal Court will commence the trial of five police officers, including Lt-General Somkid Boonthanom, believed to be involved in the disappearance and presumed death of Saudi businessman Mohammad al-Ruwaili in 1990.

A just end to the al-Ruwaili case would be key to improving Thai-Saudi ties. However, regardless of pressure and sentiment, the outcome of the judicial review would have to be based on evidence and legal provisions. And many legal pundits believe the prosecution has a weak case against Somkid.

The Saudi side should start mapping out its next step if the judicial decision fails to meet its expectations, while the Thai side should be ready to demonstrate atonement for the sins committed by its rogue citizens if it is to win back trust.

After Thai worker Kriengkrai Techamong stole jewellery worth US$20 million (Bt611.5 million) from a Saudi prince in 1989, it triggered a cascade of events, each of which was stupider and greedier than the other.

Kriengkrai sold his stolen goods for no more than Bt2 million, or less than 1 per cent of their true value. He was swiftly arrested in his hometown in Lampang and sentenced to five years in jail.

The then-crime buster Lt-General Chalor Kerdthes became an instant celebrity for solving the heist. However, this happy ending quickly became a nightmare because of two subsequent discoveries - most of the returned gems were fake and the 50-carat blue diamond, billed as an heirloom of the House of Saud, had gone missing.

The photograph of the gems confiscated by the police showed the blue diamond as clear as day, but it mysteriously disappeared.

Then in 1990, three Saudi diplomats were shot dead in Bangkok and shortly afterwards, the businessman, believed to have vital information on the killings, disappeared.

Bilateral ties started deteriorating after police failed to come up with an explanation of the missing blue diamond and the bungled investigation into the killings and disappearance.

Chalor is currently on death row for murders he allegedly masterminded to cover up his botched investigation into the blue diamond's disappearance.

The Saudi businessman had gone missing in what is believed to be a forced disappearance due to police assumption about his involvement in the killings of Saudi diplomats. Neither the killings nor the forced disappearance have been solved.

There are several conflicting theories doing the rounds, fuelling confusion instead of shedding light on the killings and forced disappearance. The police say a feud related to visas for Thai workers was the motive for the killings, while the Department of Special Investigation, which reopened the probe in 2004, suspects a mysterious Arab man linked to international terrorism. The Saudi side, meanwhile, has floated the idea that the killings were meant to silence diplomats about the jewellery heist.

The question now is, when will the two Kingdoms face up to the fact that they cannot undo past crimes, especially now that all leads have gone cold?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-28

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not greed. LOSS OF FACE. Simply put, the inability of people in certain high places to admit any wrong doing. The real jewels were replicated with fakes. Everything that follows from there is a cover up. Someone has the real jewels and the Saudis are never going to find out who that is so they may as well just forget about it. They're no closer to finding out where the jewels dissappeared to than they were twenty years ago. The murders of the Saudi investigation team will come to a conclusion but the jewels will never be recovered.

• Like 1

the point is being missed..... Saudi is merely illustrating that Thai politics, corruption, and greed still remain unchanged after 20 years. How can they (Saudi) move on to better relations with Thailand unless they accept the never improving (only worsting) Thai standards. Would you prefer having Saudi say that its ok, we accept the corruption and greed from Thailand because it is their natural way.?

• Like 1

Well maybe.

Right. After all, TIT, well connected folks are not expected to ultimately be held responsible for their actions. It's long overdue time to say "Mai pen rai" and shove it under the rug, look the other way, and not bother to set a new example for future behavior.

the point is being missed..... Saudi is merely illustrating that Thai politics, corruption, and greed still remain unchanged after 20 years. How can they (Saudi) move on to better relations with Thailand unless they accept the never improving (only worsting) Thai standards. Would you prefer having Saudi say that its ok, we accept the corruption and greed from Thailand because it is their natural way.?

No. I'm saying that they should face reality. It's taken twenty years to bring the murder suspects to trial. Be thankful for that and accept that the jewels will never be recovered.

Even though the Saudi government has every right to demand justice, the hard fact that not all crimes can be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved should be accepted.

But they could expect a real police force to send investigators to have a word with the hi-so people seen wearing the gems and ask them where they got them from. And if they wouldn't mind giving them back to their rightful owners.

How about institutionalised deviousness and a complete disrespect for others ruining Saudi-Thai relations. It is funny that there was another thread running about how the youth of today are led by the actions of their elders. Hmmmm.......

The entire country must have heard, read and talked about this story 1000 times.

Being greedy doesn't necessarily make you a person capable of telling porkie pies and pretending that the sky is pink. But then in some way people sometimes think that "greed" can be a good thing. If the headline had written, Thai attitudes/deviousness/duplicity/brazeness/cheek/lies ruining Saudi-Thai relations, the writer would probably have been fired.

To insinuate that would mean that in someway Thailand as a whole is wholly responsible for this disgrace, which would mean admitting they are maybe(shock horror) wrong in comparison with another sovereign state.

Considering this case is so sensisitve right now, it will be interesting to see who Peau Thai pick as their next PM choice. One of those candidates could send relations spinning downhill even more

Still everyone loves a crime thriller and this one has all the pieces to make it a best seller.

I hate to say it but most of Khun Avudh Panananda's statements are a bit off in itself:

1) ...the hard fact that not all crimes can be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved should be accepted.

Hmmm.....Let's see. 200 lbs. worth of jewels? A member of the Saudi royal family jewels? Cross border crime? If this isn't high profile enough bringing the immediate attention to authorities to get it solved for over 20 years, then some country with its leader should take a course on true crime solving, general etiquette and diplomacy. This was not a normal crime. If it was a handful of jewels one could understand, but 200 lbs. worth?! I think that FedEx or whichever sender the joker used should be investigate heavily too. How can a single guy smuggle 200 lbs. of jewels without any help?

2) ...stole jewellery worth US$20 million (Bt611.5 million)...

Okay, so the journalist can't be blamed for this figure, but even if it was back in 1989 I think it's way off. Just the blue diamond alone was probably worth 2-3 times that because of its rarity (heirloom of the House of Saud). And what is the 2010 adjusted worth for these royal jewels, let alone 200 lbs.?! Ridiculous. The weight and amount stolen alone makes Thailand look like a bunch of jackasses. Just the heist of the blue diamond alone should be a reason to solve this case quickly.

3) The then-crime buster Lt-General Chalor Kerdthes became an instant celebrity for solving the heist.

You must be kidding?! Any dick-head could solve the heist. So darn easy to track from within the palace walls, list of servants, recent or sudden departures from employment, etc. They already knew who did it. My dog could've solved it while lickin' his balls. Bunch of self righteous, self serving idiots. If anything the Lt-General should get his ass-kicked for passing the fake jewels back, or being a party to it.

4) ...swiftly arrested in his hometown in Lampang and sentenced to five years in jail.

This Kriengkrai jerk should still be in jail until all the jewels are returned. What a slap in the face to get only 5 years in jail! He should get at least 1-year in jail per one pound of jewels. The presiding judge should've been reprimanded heavily.

For retribution and satisfaction, and to take it to how things are REALLY done in Thailand, the Saudis should just start taking the laws into their own hands on Thai soil. Since it seems that all key players were killed 20 years ago, the Saudis should just start eliminating who they know is a part of the whole scheme, one by one. And use a very, very dull knife. If they're ever caught, just claim 'diplomatic immunity'.

• Like 1

For retribution and satisfaction, and to take it to how things are REALLY done in Thailand, the Saudis should just start taking the laws into their own hands on Thai soil. Since it seems that all key players were killed 20 years ago, the Saudis should just start eliminating who they know is a part of the whole scheme, one by one. And use a very, very dull knife. If they're ever caught, just claim 'diplomatic immunity'.

Now, while the rational side of me says that would be so wrong, the devious, and often predominate side of me says: "Ohhh, yeahhhhh, I like that idea!"

:ph34r:

Time heals all wound. 20 years is long enough. I don't know about the Saudis, but Thais have short memories.

Your apathetic attitude toward corruption illustrates perfectly what we are all saying about the typical Thai apathetic cultural attitude, and why nothing seems to change. You should read Voranai Vanijaka's Bangkok Post editorials on Sunday mornings - he recently addressed this very subject - apathy.

Interesting letter in this morning's other English language paper by a retired German diplomat suggesting the Saudis are being very heavy handed and wrongly interfering in Thailand's internal affairs by linking the Somkid promotion issue to Haj visas for Thai pilgrims.

Having had the misfortune to spend a few weeks in Saudi myself, I'd have to suggest the German has a point, not that any of that absolves the Thais for compounding a felony in so many ways. I suppose you could say it's a case where both sides are in the wrong.

Interesting letter in this morning's other English language paper by a retired German diplomat suggesting the Saudis are being very heavy handed and wrongly interfering in Thailand's internal affairs by linking the Somkid promotion issue to Haj visas for Thai pilgrims.

Having had the misfortune to spend a few weeks in Saudi myself, I'd have to suggest the German has a point, not that any of that absolves the Thais for compounding a felony in so many ways. I suppose you could say it's a case where both sides are in the wrong.

He might be right or wrong. When your own diplomats investigating the case itself have been murdered, I think becoming a little heavy handed is well and truly justified. They cancelled work visas, nothing happened, the investigated, people got killed. The promotion issue comes along, Saudi object, nothing happened, so they played an important political card to get people's attention. Sometimes diplomacy is more than just talking, but requires action.

It would be very interesting to know who actually told the "press" that the visas for the Haj was on the table as a card. I think I can guess which side.

Essentially, short of breaking of diplomatic relations completely and removing the consulate, I am not sure what else they could.

The Haj visa threat is a bluff. As custodian for the holy sites, the Saudis cannot block anyone wishing to fulfill HIS religious obligation (her is intentionally excluded). If the Saudis had no problem with murderers/terrorists from Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and Pakistan as pilgrims then how can they object to non implicated Thai muslims? How can someone even compare a decent law abiding fellow from Phuket that saves for a lifetime to make his pilgrimage with the Syrians that buried their countrymen alive at the massacre of Hamm?

• Like 1

The Haj visa threat is a bluff. As custodian for the holy sites, the Saudis cannot block anyone wishing to fulfill HIS religious obligation (her is intentionally excluded). If the Saudis had no problem with murderers/terrorists from Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and Pakistan as pilgrims then how can they object to non implicated Thai muslims? How can someone even compare a decent law abiding fellow from Phuket that saves for a lifetime to make his pilgrimage with the Syrians that buried their countrymen alive at the massacre of Hamm?

The Saudis have the right to limit entry to the Kingdom - and they do. There are limits on the numbers allowed to make the pilgrimage each year by nationality - the holy cities simply cannot accomodate all who would wish to perform Haj. So if a Thai cannot enter, it makes room for an Indonesian or Nigerian etc. Saudis are also not afraid to limit Haj visas for political reasons - ask the Iranians.

If it was stolen from police station, the police just have to pay the 20 million USD back + what else was stolen from there station.

If thai police dont want to pay back the saudies shut closed there embasy and tell all thai people to leave saudi arabia with in 48 hours. People how not leave with in 48 hours will spend the next 10 years in jail. Maybe that will make the PM get hes finger out hes ash to get this situation under control

Edited by KoratFarang

Time heals all wound. 20 years is long enough. I don't know about the Saudis, but Thais have short memories.

Saudis have very long memories indeed - and a very biblical sense of justice. They will not let this drop even if it takes 50 years.

The Thais can out wait anyone. When needed, they have the patience of Buddha himself.

Saudis have very long memories indeed - and a very biblical sense of justice. They will not let this drop even if it takes 50 years.

this story will never be forgotten, it is too special in many ways,maybe they will make a movie about it some day

The questions I have about the whole mess is:

1. Why would anyone in their right mind travel to Thailand with 200 lbs of jewerly? Let alone something so precious as the Saudi Blue Diamond.

2. I understand the jewerly was returned in about week after the robbery, only to find out that they were fakes. Who is to say ehe orignals weren't fakes to beging with.

3. How long would it take to make duplicates of 200 pounds of jewerly, much longer than a week I think.

The Saudi's should get over it, it's been 20 years.