Motorcycle Import

paul3404

Hello,

I am currently working in guilin in china, i will soon be moving back to thailand.

I have a Kayo HK125 Motorcross bike out here that i would like to ship to thailand, does anyone know if this is possible without too many nightmares.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I have a lot of spares for it already and servicing i generally do myself, i suppose if its going to be too much hassle then i could buy something that will do the same job in thailand. i guess this type of bike is available there ?

If it's just for off road use and doesn't need to be registered for road use then no worries.

At least until it gets to Customs and somebody takes a fancy to.

Have you also thought about spares and servicing for the bike in Thailand?

If it's just for off road use and doesn't need to be registered for road use then no worries.

Dont know if thats true.. He has to get it here remember..

Someone tried to import a classic vintage bike, that was mounted on a board, didnt run, and was basically a piece of sculpture / art.. And they still wanted the huge import taxes as tho it was a road going bike IIRC.

Someone tried to import a classic vintage bike, that was mounted on a board, didnt run, and was basically a piece of sculpture / art.. And they still wanted the huge import taxes as tho it was a road going bike IIRC.

For used motorcycles you need an import permit fom the Ministry of Commerce. It will usually be issued if the motorcycle is part of the removal goods, i.e. when you move from another country to here. However, it must be clear from the company registration that you have owned the motorcycle for at least 18 months. I think there is also a requirement that yo cannot sell it within a certain period of time after importing and registering it in your name.

Note that the bike will have to pass exhaust and other tests at the TISI before you can register it. All in all, it is usually easier and cheaper to buy a new bike over here... An option unless you are closely attached to your bike, of course.

For classic vintage vehicles, there is an antiquity regulation, which applies when the item is older than 30 years.

For used motorcycles you need an import permit fom the Ministry of Commerce. It will usually be issued if the motorcycle is part of the removal goods, i.e. when you move from another country to here. However, it must be clear from the company registration that you have owned the motorcycle for at least 18 months. I think there is also a requirement that yo cannot sell it within a certain period of time after importing and registering it in your name.

Note that the bike will have to pass exhaust and other tests at the TISI before you can register it. All in all, it is usually easier and cheaper to buy a new bike over here... An option unless you are closely attached to your bike, of course.

For classic vintage vehicles, there is an antiquity regulation, which applies when the item is older than 30 years.

I believe dirt bikes that will be used solely off road do not need to be registered with the Land Transport Dept and are therefore exempt from the emissions inspection. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong :jap:

I believe dirt bikes that will be used solely off road do not need to be registered with the Land Transport Dept and are therefore exempt from the emissions inspection. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong :jap:

I don't know anything about that... I know only about street-legal vehicles. Sorry if I missed the point.

Yes the registration fees are not needed.. But theres still taxes, import license, and a whole host of other stuff.. Its not send it in and pick it up.

Even getting an engine in is a hassle, let alone a fully built bike.

Yes the registration fees are not needed.. But theres still taxes, import license, and a whole host of other stuff.. Its not send it in and pick it up.

Even getting an engine in is a hassle, let alone a fully built bike.

You say vintage vehicles do not have to pass all the emissions inspections and what not?

Because I have an old CJ750 in China that I want to take to Thailand when I move there next year. I'm wondering what kind of hoops I would have to jump through to get this Chinese made sidecar motorbike legally registered in Thailand.. Does anyone have any information that may help? It would be hugely appreciated!!

I have been driving it in China more then four years and it would be a real shame if I can't figure out to get it there!

post-114890-085975100 1285821990_thumb.j

post-114890-039173900 1285822093_thumb.j

You say vintage vehicles do not have to pass all the emissions inspections and what not?

Because I have an old CJ750 in China that I want to take to Thailand when I move there next year. I'm wondering what kind of hoops I would have to jump through to get this Chinese made sidecar motorbike legally registered in Thailand.. Does anyone have any information that may help? It would be hugely appreciated!!

I have been driving it in China more then four years and it would be a real shame if I can't figure out to get it there!

Please advise year of production of the bike. I will dig out the antiquity rules in detail. At this moment, I am not sure about the emissions test but I can imagine that it doesn't apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I just brought the vintage 1958 BMW motorcycle last month and want to bring it along with me to Thailand as well. I do want to know about antiquity rules and whether I have to break it down in part which is difficult to do by myself or import it as a whole motorcycle. It has rusty body and not in a running condition. Do you think importing this 52 year old motorcycle as a whole will cost much more than breaking it in parts?

What will be the tax on importing?

Thank you

Paul

Unless there are special 'old bike rules' which I hear but have never seen details of.. Just forget the whole thing, it will cost multi 1000's of usd certainly and maybe more.

Someone tried to import a antique non running bike mounted to a board as a piece of household artwork, it didnt run, and couldnt move.. Customs wanted the full import money as if it was a new exotic.

Unless there are special 'old bike rules' which I hear but have never seen details of.. Just forget the whole thing, it will cost multi 1000's of usd certainly and maybe more.

Someone tried to import a antique non running bike mounted to a board as a piece of household artwork, it didnt run, and couldnt move.. Customs wanted the full import money as if it was a new exotic.

The HS code I had in mind was 97.06. Unfortunately, it says "Antiques of an age exceeding one hundred years" and not 30 years.

As usual, we recommend not to try and bring used motorcycles or cars into Thailand. However, in some cases, the owner might be attached to his vehicle, so that buying a new one over here doesn't sound so good to them. I was told that import permits for used vehicles are currently not being issued.