Dukes Restaurant

uptheos

I'm also unsure that calling Duke's offering a "real American pizza" is much of a recommendation. The best I've had were on the European continent. Some American pizzas have little cheese, little sauce of merit, and dough that is unmentionably gummy. They are the cheapest but like most, they're delivered. By and large, "better" there means more things piled on top. There is always contention about the best, but these disputes often hinge in which corporations offer the best price.

I think it by and large requires more detail to praise Duke's pizza and I'd like to hear about it. I had not known the prices elsewhere, though, and so if theirs is cheap for what you get, must accept that opinion (since Guitarman is playing music or plying pizzas elsewhere).

Edited by CMX

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was in New York, I had some delicious pizza, but that was so long ago I've forgotten whether it was thin or thick, but it was certainly very nice indeed. smile.gif

I wonder if Dukes would re-kindle those memories?

New York pizza is normally thin with a unique texture that is hard to describe, but not as cracker-like and thin and as the ones in Italy. IMHO, the crust is what makes American/Australian pizza so good.

The owner of Butter is Better - from New York - is very knowledgeable about food in general and was so impressed by the Duke's pizza that he decided to not to bother making his own. In fact, he said that pizza is no longer on his list of things that he misses from home. Coming from him, that is a compliment indeed.

As far as whether Italian is preferable to New York pizza, it does not really matter, because we are in Chiang Mai Thailand and the local stuff does not even compare with the Duke's. :D

When I was in New York, I had some delicious pizza, but that was so long ago I've forgotten whether it was thin or thick, but it was certainly very nice indeed. smile.gif

New York pizza is normally thin with a unique texture that is hard to describe, but not as cracker-like and thin and as the ones in Italy. IMHO, the crust is what makes American/Australian pizza so good.

The owner of Butter is Better - from New York - is very knowledgeable about food in general and was so impressed by the Duke's pizza that he decided to not to bother making his own. In fact, he said that pizza is no longer on his list of things that he misses from home. Coming from him, that is a compliment indeed.

As far as whether Italian is preferable to New York pizza, it does not really matter, because we are in Chiang Mai Thailand and the local stuff does not even compare with the Duke's. :D

I'm very sorry George, but I don't think Dukes Pizza is anything like good American Pizza, especially New York Pizza :)

But, I am NOT a fan of Dukes Pizza :(

Wow, that really is a good recommendation, sounds like Dukes really know their stuff. :)

But, I am NOT a fan of Dukes Pizza

Have you had it recently? He keeps improving it and after Mr. Butter is Better's recommendation I tried it again and thought it was right up there with the real thing. It is Chicago thin crust pizza, so not the same as New York style, but, IMHO, still pretty darn good. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Have you had it recently? He keeps improving it and after Mr. Butter is Better's recommendation I tried it again and thought it was right up there with the real thing. It is Chicago thin crust pizza, so not the same as New York style, but, IMHO, still pretty darn good. :)

I'd like to say I've had it recently, but I'm afraid that Cheap Charlies might kick me out of the club.

Can I just say, I've heard that it's very good? ;)

Not all pizzas served in Italy are cracker-like or thin. There are many varieties and styles.

I have eaten thick base pizza there - Sfincione style (more like a focaccia),. :)

I am eligible now to remark upon Duke's pizza and its relationship to price.

I doubt that any gathering of expats in this town could agree upon much, sports for example, let alone teams, let alone players. But fresh ingredients of a high caliber should find some following.

Duke's, even with the discount (and you are SUPPOSED to ask), is not cheap. I paid around 450 baht for a large with four toppings.

I find, however that the pizza feeds 4-6 people and can with a large salad (I make 'em at home), become an inexpensive meal, when you consider the expensive ingredients. Even divided that way, the pizza is filling - and not at all just crust; all other ingredients including the cheese are ample. Incidentally, warming at home calls for an oven - in the case of a toaster oven, warming in segments honors the crust (microwave does not). Makes the last served jealous and salivate.

As for being "American," there are so many incarnations there (or in any big city) that it is not, perhaps, some sort of gourmet delight. We gourmands from the Americas will consider it among the upper classes of comfort food, however - the other pole to mac and sheeze.

I am eligible now to remark upon Duke's pizza and its relationship to price.

I doubt that any gathering of expats in this town could agree upon much, sports for example, let alone teams, let alone players. But fresh ingredients of a high caliber should find some following.

Duke's, even with the discount (and you are SUPPOSED to ask), is not cheap. I paid around 450 baht for a large with four toppings.

I find, however that the pizza feeds 4-6 people and can with a large salad (I make 'em at home), become an inexpensive meal, when you consider the expensive ingredients. Even divided that way, the pizza is filling - and not at all just crust; all other ingredients including the cheese are ample. Incidentally, warming at home calls for an oven - in the case of a toaster oven, warming in segments honors the crust (microwave does not). Makes the last served jealous and salivate.

As for being "American," there are so many incarnations there (or in any big city) that it is not, perhaps, some sort of gourmet delight. We gourmands from the Americas will consider it among the upper classes of comfort food, however - the other pole to mac and sheeze.

Wow if it feeds 4-6 people then it is a good deal.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, let's try to keep our eyes on the ball. While we can talk all day about "The Duke's Pizza," one should not forget that this is an experiment.

This is suppose to be about a discount offered to ThaiVisa posters. This is a two way street. If you do not ask then you will not get a discount. Let's see how many of you are out there. It is not about pizza.

All I am saying is please ask for the discount so we can see if someone is from ThaiVisa. It was very confusing yesterday for the staff and we will be giving everyone who walks in the discount but....

Edited by getgoin

Ah, so we are back to the important things in life here on CM forum!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

I don't go to the Duke's often, but when I do I have ordered pizza on occasion. Shared by 2 or 3 people:

XL, triple Gorgonzola with Kalamata olives and capers. Carafe or 3 of red wine, and a Caesar salad.....

Good food, good atmosphere and staff, fair price.

Is it haute cuisine? Of course not. But is the overall deal good?

I would say yes.

:licklips:

I find, however that the pizza feeds 4-6 people

Asked for the discount - received it - thank you

*I specifically chose Dukes because of the discount

I eat a large by myself in 1-2 sittings (they are excellent) -- that would not be the surgeon generals recommendation though because they are very big

4-6 people would have to be my grandmother (no teeth) and her bridge friends

Edited by PlanetX

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, let's try to keep our eyes on the ball. While we can talk all day about "The Duke's Pizza," ...one should not forget that this is an experiment in moronic proportions. Get a grip."

;;;

This is suppose to be about a discount offered to ThaiVisa posters. ... If you do not ask then you will not get a discount. Let's see how many of you are out there. It is not about pizza." - getgoin himself

A. OK. I went to get a pizza at Dukes. I had never before ordered a pizza at Dukes. I asked for a 10% discount as a matter of course, but that was only because it was there. I did not go to get the pizza for the first time for the 10%; I went because I became curious about the subject on the internet, got involved, and it induced me to "think" pizza for the first time in a year or more, because i was curious about the taste issue. Thus I find myself not having sided with those going to realize the 10% discount in this month's test of moronic proportions, was not motivated to buy by a savings of around 40 baht. Knowing that foods on the menu were also discounted, I only got pizza because I was interested in its taste.

B. If one or two people eat a large Duke's pizza with four additional toppings, two of them meats, any medical doctor will affirm that the glutton in question is eating moronic proportions, or huge ones anyway.

C. I cannot understand the reference to Jesus, Mary, or Joseph. Never did understand much about:sorry: Joseph.:offtopic:

This is suppose to be about a discount offered to ThaiVisa posters. This is a two way street. If you do not ask then you will not get a discount. Let's see how many of you are out there. It is not about pizza.

Sounds fair enough to me.

450 baht for a take-away pizza?

Wow.

Only 200 baht at pizzamania next to the PTT station on the Mae Jo Road close to Rimping Meechock Plaza. Their Pizzas are fresh and good. Buy two and it will then be the same as Dukes which is over rated and over priced

450 baht for a take-away pizza?

Wow.

Only 200 baht at pizzamania next to the PTT station on the Mae Jo Road close to Rimping Meechock Plaza. Their Pizzas are fresh and good. Buy two and it will then be the same as Dukes which is over rated and over priced

I agree about Pizza Mania. I live 50 meters from them, and surprisingly, their Pizzas are quite good.

Certainly better than Dukes ;)

But, I am NOT a fan of Dukes Pizza

No I haven't tried it in the last year, but at your suggestion, I will try another :)

If only they had Deep-Dish Chicago Pizza around here! B)

Edited by LJW

I think the 10 per cent discount might be because their is NO VAT on takeout orders ??

I guess Dukes will clarify.

He he biggrin.gif a negative vote for this comment........bring it on baby.

In fact I'm getting negative votes for anything mentioning Dukes......oh the jealousy cheesy.gif

Perhaps Dukes should do a promotion which offered steaks that were properly cooked and didn't take all night to chew!

Just been to another restaurant in town by the river. The service was appalling and the food was marginally better than poor. Perhaps you think I'm fussy. I'm not over fussy but the lack of service in some restaurants around here just amazes me, especially at a time when businesses should be fighting for business.

• Like 2

This evening uppon my wife's request I took a Pizza from Duke a small one less then 200 Bht 2 toppings they offer the discount to me drive back home on my scooter when we opened the box the Pizza looked more like Lasagna but still very good and crispy but not "cracker" with good and fresh toppings enough for both of us .I have lived in I Italy and you can get some bad Pizzas but when you get a good one with a glass of local wine you really feel like heaven .

I think the 10 per cent discount might be because their is NO VAT on takeout orders ??

I guess Dukes will clarify.

He he biggrin.gif a negative vote for this comment........bring it on baby.

In fact I'm getting negative votes for anything mentioning Dukes......oh the jealousy cheesy.gif

Perhaps Dukes should do a promotion which offered steaks that were properly cooked and didn't take all night to chew!

Just been to another restaurant in town by the river. The service was appalling and the food was marginally better than poor. Perhaps you think I'm fussy. I'm not over fussy but the lack of service in some restaurants around here just amazes me, especially at a time when businesses should be fighting for business.

The negative or positive posts should be for content but too often are used to attack the poster. I have given ianf a plus to compensate, he has a right to his opinion.

And service is not ALWAYS good here

I realize that my remark will be regarded as positive and certainly (therefore?) off topic, but it is good news to hear of a local business, dedicated to western palates, which has been doing well. Refreshing.

I will deviate from this off-topic topic, however, to stray even further (point of personal privilege) to say that the critter in question regarding red marks has sullied my reputation too for no good reason. My hope is that he will get well very soon, as I have no business to harm, if that's what passes for its rational intent.

We enjoyed (particularly in light of a 10% discount), a light breakfast of Duke's pizza this morning. Time for lunch.

Edited by CMX
  • Like 1

I will deviate from this off-topic topic, however, to stray even further (point of personal privilege) to say that the critter in question regarding red marks has sullied my reputation too for no good reason. My hope is that he will get well very soon, as I have no business to harm, if that's what passes for its rational intent.

Actually, he gave you a red for saying something nice about my business. At least he is predictable. :whistling:

About the Duke's, he has good pizza, he is offering us a discount and has provided free food for many Thai Visa parties. A little gratitude is not out of order.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

As far as the traffic that is coming in the door from this offer I can say that there has been an initial surge in people coming in and getting food to go. I'd like to wait till the end of the month to see if it drops off.

That's great and I hope it continues, it was good to see someone recognise a win/win situation.

It might drop off and it might not, but at least you've created a feel good factor among quite a few people and I'm sure the 'surger's' at least will return, if they liked the food.....and perhaps tell others. smile.gif