Repair Shop Pick Up A Disabled Motorcycle

floridaguy

I have searched and not found the answer to this question.

Are there any towing services that will pick up a large motorcycle in and around Bangkok, or Thailand? I had a breakdown a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find a tow service to pick the bike up. Also, the repair shops were closed. I know Dr. Bike on Chok Chai in BKK doesn't pick up, but someone has to right? D Big Bike in Nakon Pathom also wouldn't pick up, but he is a little far away anyway. There are many that will pick up a scooter, but I couldn't find anything for a big bike.

Safe riding.

Khun Boy at Chicane will pick up a bike for service or repairs- in Bangkok area he generally charges 1000 Baht for the service, one way. Red Baron picks up members bikes. I've known mates (well, one in particular :whistling:) who simply flags down an empty pick-up every time his bike breaks and waves a bit of money to get his bike bike to the nearest shop. I'm always surprised at how well this works. There are also a number of guys with pick-ups in Bangkok who regularly ferry race bikes to the tracks- usually 2000 baht round trip. I'm sure they could be hired for shorter trips as well. Sorry I don't have any phone numbers on hand but can get them for you if you like.

Ride On!

Tony

Khun Boy at Chicane will pick up a bike for service or repairs- in Bangkok area he generally charges 1000 Baht for the service, one way. Red Baron picks up members bikes. I've known mates (well, one in particular :whistling:) who simply flags down an empty pick-up every time his bike breaks and waves a bit of money to get his bike bike to the nearest shop. I'm always surprised at how well this works. There are also a number of guys with pick-ups in Bangkok who regularly ferry race bikes to the tracks- usually 2000 baht round trip. I'm sure they could be hired for shorter trips as well. Sorry I don't have any phone numbers on hand but can get them for you if you like.

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks Tony. I saw one of your posts awhile back about Khun Boy at Chicane, but I have searched and googled and can't find anything about them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Where do you want it to go. where and from?

Well, I have it home now, but it was a bit of a problem a couple of weeks ago. It is heavy enough that it takes about 4 guys to lift it without a ramp, and it is so long that it would hang out of the back of a standard pickup truck, even set at an angle.

I was hoping for a resource if this were to happen again in the future. A number to call. I am used to 24 hour a day availability for tow trucks and flat beds nationwide with one phone call. I don't think that is possible here.

Edited by floridaguy

No your right not possible. It seems i was wrong. look here http://www.cwc.co.th/.

My bike sticks out onto the tailgate when i take it on the truck (4 door Ford Ranger) but its not a problem if you tie a red cloth to the back. I also bought a ramp and now its a piece of piss to get it in the back by myself. just need a bit of a run up. My bike ain't a chopper so maybe not as long as yours (2 280 mm (89.8 in)) but she's 245 kg wet so a fairly heavy old girl.

Edited by thaicbr

No your right not possible. It seems i was wrong. look here http://www.cwc.co.th/.

My bike sticks out onto the tailgate when i take it on the truck (4 door Ford Ranger) but its not a problem if you tie a red cloth to the back. I also bought a ramp and now its a piece of piss to get it in the back by myself. just need a bit of a run up. My bike ain't a chopper so maybe not as long as yours (2 280 mm (89.8 in)) but she's 245 kg wet so a fairly heavy old girl.

my Vigo 4 doors bed is only 150cm, but no problem with a huge cruiser, VTX 1800cc at almost 400 kg.

or 2 Ninja 650R

a red cloth in daytime

extra rear and brake light required in the night time

my Vigo 4 doors bed is only 150cm, but no problem with a huge cruiser, VTX 1800cc at almost 400 kg.

or 2 Ninja 650R

a red cloth in daytime

I used to have a Vigo 4 door also, and the bed is too short. I am thinking of getting a 2 door Chevy or Toyota Supercab with the longer bed just to be able to haul this bike. I don't have the exact length, but it is a raked out chopper, quite long. It just won't fit. I will measure it tonight to see just how long. Here it is. I am 167 cm tall just to see the scale.

post-65746-073732800 1285911066_thumb.jp

or 2 Ninja 650R

a red cloth in daytime

I used to have a Vigo 4 door also, and the bed is too short. I am thinking of getting a 2 door Chevy or Toyota Supercab with the longer bed just to be able to haul this bike. I don't have the exact length, but it is a raked out chopper, quite long. It just won't fit. I will measure it tonight to see just how long. Here it is. I am 167 cm tall just to see the scale.

post-65746-073732800 1285911066_thumb.jp

Before investing in a trailer http://twinner-trailer.com/main-e.html (good guy, custom built, German engineering) I used 2 x 8'x10"x2" Teak boards, attached centrally (width-ways) by 4 door hinges. Therefore easily carried when folded, only 10"x4". Lay them down, open to full 20" width and a doddle to ride the bike up. Helper behind then raises the lower end to horizontal and slides under the bike, keeping the (take the back brake off :huh: ) back wheel on them. More technique than brute strength, and careful positioning of the boards means the side-stand can also be parked on it. Be warned though, getting the bike off again requires forethought and synchronised timing to avoid, erm, some scrap in a greasy patch of fluids?

Once mastered a piece of cake though, myself and my 42Kg 5' wife used to manage it with very little fuss, just swapping with each other to steady the bars? Have to admit though, the 3-bike trailer's a VAST improvement! B) This now enables a 5bike capacity with a little juggling? Though I'm not as good as those Thais yet with 18-odd Wave's stacked 3 high!! :lol:

I had this problem a few times with my kawasaki vulcan. I had to beg the repairshop owner to pick it up and i paid him some money. But it is a major hassle. I believe the bike has been picked up 3 or 4 times. All minor stuff but none that i could fix myself. One of the reasons for selling the bike.

If i ever buy a big bike again it will be a newish one with replacement parts available. Those older bikes can never be fixed perfect.. just in a thai way. Plus that i was not a mechanic i could not steer them in the right direction or make sure they did a good job.

I had this problem a few times with my kawasaki vulcan. I had to beg the repairshop owner to pick it up and i paid him some money. But it is a major hassle. I believe the bike has been picked up 3 or 4 times. All minor stuff but none that i could fix myself. One of the reasons for selling the bike.

If i ever buy a big bike again it will be a newish one with replacement parts available. Those older bikes can never be fixed perfect.. just in a thai way. Plus that i was not a mechanic i could not steer them in the right direction or make sure they did a good job.

I often wonder why I'm stood over him making sure it's done correctly rather than saving a few bob and doing it myself? Take another swig from my third beer, and remember :lol:

Before investing in a trailer http://twinner-trailer.com/main-e.html (good guy, custom built, German engineering) I used 2 x 8'x10"x2" Teak boards, attached centrally (width-ways) by 4 door hinges. Therefore easily carried when folded, only 10"x4". Lay them down, open to full 20" width and a doddle to ride the bike up. Helper behind then raises the lower end to horizontal and slides under the bike, keeping the (take the back brake off :huh: ) back wheel on them. More technique than brute strength, and careful positioning of the boards means the side-stand can also be parked on it. Be warned though, getting the bike off again requires forethought and synchronised timing to avoid, erm, some scrap in a greasy patch of fluids?

Once mastered a piece of cake though, myself and my 42Kg 5' wife used to manage it with very little fuss, just swapping with each other to steady the bars? Have to admit though, the 3-bike trailer's a VAST improvement! B) This now enables a 5bike capacity with a little juggling? Though I'm not as good as those Thais yet with 18-odd Wave's stacked 3 high!! :lol:

My trailer's got the ramp built in, but should not be used while drunk... :lol:

Ride On!

Tony :burp:

Yep, since coming to Thailand I try to do most maintenance and repairs myself. There's some truth to the old saying, "If you want it done right, do it yourself!"

061910KawaBoy1SSR.jpg

Typical, he hasn't finished the first job before starting on the next! ;)

Before investing in a trailer http://twinner-trailer.com/main-e.html (good guy, custom built, German engineering) I used 2 x 8'x10"x2" Teak boards, attached centrally (width-ways) by 4 door hinges.

My trailer's got the ramp built in, but should not be used while drunk... :lol:

Ride On!

Tony :burp:

Classic!

There's one of a few White Devils MC reprobates (myself included) hanging around somewhere after an early start on the p1ss? One of the lads had foolishly left his ride with us for an engine rebuild! What began fairly cautiously soon descended into almost vandalism, 4 of us attacking the unit with a gas axe while attempting to kick it out of the frame once it proved a little awkward using conventional methods! :ermm:

Dyl keeps threatening to publish that one if I don't keep him sweet, the poor guy who's bike it was, is still blissfully unaware :whistling::D

I took the power-plant home to work on it, many more of those days wouldn't have done us any favours!

Yut at Dynamic will come get you.

I crashed my BMW and had to have it taken to BKK for repairs. 7000 baht was the going rate for proper transport from Phuket to BKK.

When touring around Thailand I always carry a pair of ratcheting tie down straps in case of a breakdown and need to enlist a local who likely wont have the proper tie downs for a large heavy bike.