Actor Tony Curtis Has Passed Away

george

Breaking News: Actor Tony Curtis Has Passed Away

tony_curtis_chair_520511_keystone_2642390_640.jpg

ET has learned that the Oscar-nominated actor Tony Curtis has died.

His daughter Jamie Lee Curtis’ rep has confirmed to ET the news of the legendary actor’s passing, but no further details were available.

Curtis, whose real name was Bernard Schwartz, was perhaps most known for his comedic turn in Billy Wilder’s ‘Some Like It Hot’ with co-stars Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences acknowledged Tony’s talents in 1959 when he received an Academy Award nomination for his role in the movie ‘The Defiant Ones’ starring opposite Sidney Poitier.

Tony was married six times. Jill Vandenberg Curtis was his current wife whom he married in 1998.

Tony was born June 3, 1925. He died at the age of 85.

-- http://www.etonline.com/news/101349_Breaking_News_Actor_Tony_Curtis_Has_Passed_Away

Now he's one of the folks I thought died years ago.

Me too.

I mean I thought the same as you. Not that I died years ago.

:lol:

No explanation needed mate. If I thought you were dead but were replying to my post I'd unplug my computer, throw it in the local river and never use the internet again in my life.

Edited by mca

wow. There's going to be quite a lot of wet eyes when the Academy Awards does its annual RIP segment

George owns this site. He can post anything he wants and always does so tastefully. Tony Curtis passing IS world news.

Get your tongue out of his arse Ian mate! :lol:

Tony Curtis was one of the all time greats.

Spanning a career of 70 years, a Hollywood legend, never to be equalled.

How many so-called present day trash celebs will be still famous in the next 70 years?

Just a footnote for Tony Curtis.....in the late 50's in the UK to be 'with it' you dressed as a Teddy Boy with a Tony Curtis 'DA" haircut.

After posting this its brought back memories of my youth. 17 years old...my Teddyboy suit....pale blue with black collar....white shirt...bootlace tie....flourescent green socks...blue suede shoes with thick crepe rubber soles......great time to be young!!

Edited by gennisis

I’m not sure when or where Tony Curtis(1925-2010) first came into my life. Was it at the movies or on television? Perhaps it was in Houdini in 1953 when he was married to Janet Leigh. I was only nine at the time and in grade four. My mother had just joined the Baha’i Faith in Ontario. I was in love with baseball and Susan Gregory—little did she know. Perhaps I first saw him in Some Like It Hot in 1959. I had a job at the Roxy Theatre at the time as a marquee, the man who set the signboards up for the shows that arrived in town. I won the most valuable player in the midget baseball league that year in the little town of Burlington. As Bobby Darren’s song Mack-the-Knife was making its way to the top of the charts in October ‘59 I joined the Baha’i Faith. I was always impressed with my mother back then, but that would not always be the case.

Tony became famous and rich but, on reading about his life today, I realized he paid for his fame and wealth with his many marriages, his alcoholism, his addictions, the suicide of his son, indeed, a long list of tests and difficulties. I’ve had my problems, too; it is difficult to compare lives but, in some ways, it can’t be helped. Tony died this week and I learned more about him today than I knew in all his years of great popularity in the 1950s and 1960s when I was growing-up and coming to maturity at the age of 20 and 21 in 1964/5 when he starred in Sex and the Single Girl(1964) and The Great Race(1965).-Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 2 September 2010.

I can understand why you got into art, Tony,

in the last 25 years of your life..age 60-85…

You were a handsome, dude, and kissed that

icon of beauty, Marilyn Monroe….Yes, you

got around, Tony, I must say…We did have

things in common: COPD1, our mothers had

mental illness; we went to college & we went

under contract at age 23 you with Universal

Pictures and me with DIAND2…..interested

in girls and money….worried about being a

failure. But so many differences, eh Tony?

You made your debut in 1949 when I was 5.

To my two marriages you had five and those

younger women you married who gave you

so much more sex or so you said, Tony…. I

wish you well in that Undiscovered Country,

Tony, that Land of Lights or so I am told!!!

What is life like now beyond the mortal coil?

1 Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease usually from smoking

2 Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development

Ron Price Tasmania

2 October 2010