Another Lost Passport.

American. I go tomorrow, my visa runs out really soon.

I can't find my passport anywhere after turning my apartment upside down. No idea where or when it is. I have birth certificate, drivers license, photocopy of my old passport, and a diploma. How much money is it? Do I need anything else for the American embassy? thanks! (also - to dbl check - it is open tomorrow, sunday, right?)

Edited by drummer

Sorry to hear this, that's why I googled a bit, not being a US-citizen.

One thing seems to be a big help, you got a photocopy of your p/port.

For more details click on the links below, and I doubt they work on Sundays, but give a call. Good luck.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/services/visa...q.htm#passports

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_623.html

American Citizen Services (ACS)

Address: 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Tel: [66](2) 205-4049

The heading 'Another lost Passport' implies that this is the second or more times you've lost a PP. If so, and you've lost a PP previously in Thailand then expect the immigration to black mark you in their computers.

US embassy is open on a Sunday?

No the Embassy is not open on Saturday/Sunday or Thai or American holidays. You need a police report. As you do not know where you lost it believe you should go to the district you are currently living. Embassy must have that before they can do anything. You are going to need photos and believe place across street knows the requirements. Think the cost is about $100 for real passport but you may be able to get the temporary type for less. You can probably find full information on web site.

I would make another check of every pocket and nook and cranny.

Nope ... this is the first passport Ive lost .... I just searched the forum for threads on the same subject, and didn't find the info I needed. There are a lot of lost pp threads, though. Thus the "another lost passport" title.

OK - police report. yippee. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm at having to go the the police station. At least it is on the way... *sigh* this is not what you would call the best day I've ever had... (passport notwithstanding)

First You need a police report...

Second Bring along your the police report and get it certified by the Thailand Ministry of foreign affairs ...And i think u need to transllate everything to English

After you have certified the document from the Foreign affairs minitry ...Bring the documents to the Embassy..Easy ...

If you do not get the foreign affair ministry to certified the police report the embassy will ask you to go and get it certified..(Some Embassy will say like this)

Thats why they need you to get the police report to be certified by the Thai Foreign affairs ministry...

This is what my friend did in order for the embassy to process the new paspport in 1 day only..ITs fast

Edited by tytus

This is the official requirement as posted on the US Embassy Bangkok web site. I see no requirement for translations or international certifications but perhaps this is something new or they neglected to post it.

My passport was stolen/lost. Can the embassy issue an emergency passport? What is the cost?

We can issue you an emergency passport, valid for one year, within 24-hours. Please bring the police report for the lost passport, picture identification, passport pictures (2x2) on white background and $97.00 (in US or Thai currency, or you can pay with a credit card) during ACS Office hours.

Second Bring along your the police report and get it certified by the Thailand Ministry of foreign affairs ...And i think u need to transllate everything to English

After you have certified the document from the Foreign affairs minitry ...Bring the documents to the Embassy..Easy ...

hahaha ... I was about to start pulling my hair out! But I called and the US Embassy does not require and translation or certification of lost passport police report. *whew*

hahaha ...  I was about to start pulling my hair out!  But I called and the US Embassy does not require and translation or certification of  lost passport police report.  *whew*

Lucky you. :o

Actually the link I put further above asks "Please bring the police report for the lost passport". Now, I can imagine one can TALK to the official at the embassy.

• 3 weeks later...
hahaha ...  I was about to start pulling my hair out!  But I called and the US Embassy does not require and translation or certification of  lost passport police report.  *whew*

Lucky you. :o

Actually the link I put further above asks "Please bring the police report for the lost passport". Now, I can imagine one can TALK to the official at the embassy.

So, it apparently only requires a one-day turnaround at the US embassy in Bangkok; that's fine. But would the police dept. in Hua Hin know how to discuss with me, in English, the difference between stolen and lost?

I cannot believe this is happening to me.

What in the world does the police report need to say? Merely that you've reported the passport "missing?" Without a full court press investigation, what else could it say -- 'bugger looks honest -- probably lost his passport vice selling it.'????

After posting yesterday, I see my bigger problem is:

I ALSO LOST/MISPLACED MY VISA. I don't have photocopy of either the nonimmigrant B that I got in May, nor the latest 90-day stamp at Mae Sai late in July. I do happen to have the residency certification from Chiang Mai, dated 20 July.

I'm writing to the Houston Consulte to see if they can send me or Thai immigration some certification that they issued me a B work visa in May.

Does anybody know what the officials in Bangkok will want?

I'm on my best behavior, since right now, I can't prove I belong in Thailand.

The visa will be in the computers - shouldn't have to worry about that.

An interesting side note, the US emabssy will issue you a regular passport, vailable in 2 weeks, unless otherwise specified. They can issue an emergency passport if you have to travel before 2 weeks are out for the same cost as a regular passport, that is valid for only 1 year. When you renew your pssport to a full passport, the cost of the new passport is waived.

However, you need the police report AGAIN at Thai Immirgation when you get your new visa stamp. I didn't know I needed it twice and tossed it ... and I had it and had to go back to Hua Mark to get a new one... :o

The police at Hua Mark were not suspiious of my lost passport. It was more like "Oh. ANOTHER lost passport. I'll get the forms." (Both times I had to get the police report, although the second included some good natured ribbing) :D

The visa will be in the computers - shouldn't have to worry about that

An interesting side note,  the US emabssy will issue you a regular passport,  vailable in 2 weeks,  unless otherwise specified.  They can issue an emergency passport if you have to travel before 2 weeks are out for the same cost as a regular passport,  that is valid for only 1 year.  When you renew your pssport to a full passport,  the cost of the new passport is waived. 

However,  you need the police report AGAIN at Thai Immirgation when you get your new visa stamp.  I didn't know I needed it twice and tossed it ...  and I had it and had to go back to Hua Mark to get a new one...  :o 

The police at Hua Mark were not suspiious of my lost passport.  It was more like "Oh.  ANOTHER lost passport.  I'll get the forms."  (Both times I had to get the police report,  although the second included some good natured ribbing)  :D

Visas come under Ministry of Foreign Affairs if they are issued at an Overseas Embassy.Thai Immigration will not issue you with a new visa, they will just transfer details and how long you are allowed to stay in the country into your new passport etc..

At least I found a photocopy of my non-immigrant B issued in April 2005, and a July 2005 residency cert from Chiang Mai immigration, just days before the accident. Yeah, the American Embassy is giving me a ten year passport in two weeks. Which is Sept. 3 and I leave for Europe on Sept. 8.

Is there any sense in going to my local immigration office in Hua Hin before I get my new passport?

Good question, but I doubt it. Your loss is already registered with both Thailand and the States, and they can't give you a new stamp unless they have something to stamp to begin with.

Maybe it takes longer for an Imm B visa, but I doubt it ...

Would be nice to hear from an expert, though

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's been no response. Pardon me for asking this on two threads, but time is now running out.

WHEN I GET MY NEW PASSPORT ON FRIDAY OR MONDAY, WHAT DO I DO ABOUT MY NON-IMMIGRANT B VISA?

I leave for London, Ireland, and Spain just a few days after getting the new passport and have no idea how I'll get out of Thailand, nor back in.

You are expected to visit immigration after receipt of new passport to have them enter your current stay in your passport and exit will be normal but you will not have a visa to return so should plan on getting one while in the UK if you have required paperwork (as I recall you are a multi entry type so that would be your best bet I suspect and Penang is currently very conservative). Your current visa is gone from recent reports in other threads but they will be able to provide your current entry from records (may help if you know last date of entry but suspect they can also obtain from your visa number which you have a copy of).

You are expected to visit immigration after receipt of new passport to have them enter your current stay in your passport and exit will be normal but you will not have a visa to return so should plan on getting one while in the UK if you have required paperwork (as I recall you are a multi entry type so that would be your best bet I suspect and Penang is currently very conservative).  Your current visa is gone from recent reports in other threads but they will be able to provide your current entry from records (may help if you know last date of entry but suspect they can also obtain from your visa number which you have a copy of).

Thanks so much, Lopburi; I appreciate your expert advice.

So, I understand you to be saying that I've lost my one-year multi entry from April, and need to get one in another country. Well, I'm passing through Heathrow airport but already bought onward tickets, so I'm spending no time in England. Likewise, Shannon isn't Dublin , and Palma de Mallorca isn't Madrid. Also, that I'll have to apply all over again, pay maybe 5000 baht if I get the best visa, and have to provide an inivitation from a school to teach (although, due to my injuries, I'm between jobs).

Any suggestions, such as Madrid or Dublin? I'll search the consulate locations.

I'm tempted to relocate to Latin America. At least they respect farang there. :o

Thanks for pointing out that when Thai Immigration in Thailand enters my current entry onto my passport, they won't be entering my one-year non-B. I just came from Immigration office here in Hua Hin and he assured me I could leave the country by doing that, but he said nothing about coming back. I'll go ask him about re-entry.

You are expected to visit immigration after receipt of new passport to have them enter your current stay in your passport and exit will be normal but you will not have a visa to return so should plan on getting one while in the UK if you have required paperwork (as I recall you are a multi entry type so that would be your best bet I suspect and Penang is currently very conservative).  Your current visa is gone from recent reports in other threads but they will be able to provide your current entry from records (may help if you know last date of entry but suspect they can also obtain from your visa number which you have a copy of).

Thanks so much, Lopburi; I appreciate your expert advice.

So, I understand you to be saying that I've lost my one-year multi entry from April, and need to get one in another country. Well, I'm passing through Heathrow airport but already bought onward tickets, so I'm spending no time in England. Likewise, Shannon isn't Dublin , and Palma de Mallorca isn't Madrid. Also, that I'll have to apply all over again, pay maybe 5000 baht if I get the best visa, and have to provide an inivitation from a school to teach (although, due to my injuries, I'm between jobs).

Any suggestions, such as Madrid or Dublin? I'll search the consulate locations.

I'm tempted to relocate to Latin America. At least they respect farang there. :o

Thanks for pointing out that when Thai Immigration in Thailand enters my current entry onto my passport, they won't be entering my one-year non-B. I just came from Immigration office here in Hua Hin and he assured me I could leave the country by doing that, but he said nothing about coming back. I'll go ask him about re-entry.

You might want to read this current thread. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43417

Thanks again, Lopburi 3, but that's a thread I'm taking an active part in, already.

I went back this afternoon and the Immigration guy knows nothing, keeps referring me to headquarters in BKK, so I guess I'll take the long trip tomorrow just to ask them. I'm thinking I may just come back on a tourist visa and apply for a retirement visa and not look for work. IMO, the Thai government is not friendly toward foreigners, esp. foreign workers, and it's not worth working in Thailand (as a teacher of English) in the first place. Maybe I'll just retire.

Went to Bangkok on Friday because the American Embassy already had my new passport. Without me asking, they also gave me their 'certification' to Thai immigration that my passport had been lost and replaced. When I went to Suan Plu, the Immigration staff couldn't have been nicer, or more proficient. I mean, even their grasp of English sufficed.

I was paranoid about having to get a brand new Non-Imm. B visa, but the lovely lady at Suan Plu entered it on my new passport! It looks to me as if I don't have to get a new non-imm. B, and that upon my trip to Europe, I can return on 90 days again, etc., until next May. She stamped into page 5 of my new passport a rectangular stamp and then hand-wrote in ink that I had a non-imm B, issued April 2005, expiring April 2006. Hooray!

It still ain't no fun commuting from Hua Hin to BKK, but I left at 3:30 a.m., returned at 2:15 pm, which wasn't too bad.

Went to Bangkok on Friday because the American Embassy already had my new passport.  Without me asking, they also gave me their 'certification' to Thai immigration that my passport had been lost and replaced.  When I went to Suan Plu, the Immigration staff couldn't have been nicer, or more proficient.  I mean, even their grasp of English sufficed.

I was paranoid about having to get a brand new Non-Imm. B visa, but the lovely lady at Suan Plu entered it on my new passport!  It looks to me as if I don't have to get a new non-imm. B, and that upon my trip to Europe, I can return on 90 days again, etc., until next May.  She stamped into page 5 of my new passport a rectangular stamp and then hand-wrote in ink that I had a non-imm B, issued April 2005, expiring April 2006.  Hooray!

It still ain't no fun commuting from Hua Hin to BKK, but I left at 3:30 a.m., returned at 2:15 pm, which wasn't too bad.

That is indeed good news. Hope that you can now have a good trip.