Damaged/lost Passport

This is an interesting one.

A couple of months ago, my passport was badly water damaged. I sent the damaged passport along with a new passport application to the NZ Embassy.They then sent the application and damaged passport to NZ, so that the Ministry of foreign Affairs (MFAT)could issue me with a new passport.All went well and the NZ Embassy sent me my new passport, however MFAT decided in their wisdom to destroy my old passport.In the passport was my current multi-entry non -O visa.

I went to Immigration in CM armed with a letter the the NZ Embassy gave to me stating the above.Thai Immigration changed/updated the details in my passport and certified that the copy I had of my old visa was correct (Infact they could not have been more helpfull).They then told me that because my visa ws issued overseas,they could not issue me with a new visa, but had to get the visa from the Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The Thai Ministry of foreign Affairs told me that they could do nothing as the Visa was issued by an overseas Embassy (Penang).

Now what do you do?Anybody have any idea?

Since when did MFAT issue passports? I think you will find it is the Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand which issues passports not MFAT.

I was under the impression that Thai Immigration will place a copy of your entry stamp into your new passport (which I assume they have done), but don't transfer the actual visa to your new passport regardless of whether you have the old passport or not. Given this, it would not seem to make a difference whether you had the old passport or not, there is just no way to transfer the actual visa to your new passport. Or I am missing something here?

Speculation: DIA might not have returned your passport because it was water-damaged and they thought it had been tampered with and you were covering up the tampering by damaging it.

Since when did MFAT issue passports? I think you will find it is the Department of Internal Affairs in New Zealand which issues passports not MFAT.

I was under the impression that Thai Immigration will place a copy of your entry stamp into your new passport (which I assume they have done), but don't transfer the actual visa to your new passport regardless of whether you have the old passport or not. Given this, it would not seem to make a difference whether you had the old passport or not, there is just no way to transfer the actual visa to your new passport. Or I am missing something here?

Speculation: DIA might not have returned your passport because it was water-damaged and they thought it had been tampered with and you were covering up the tampering by damaging it.

Yep,I ment the nongs at Internal Affairs.The passport was in shocking condition...absolutly rooted, so how they thought it could have been tampered with, I'll never know. They are public servants that have cocked up.Stupid buggers.

You need to have the orig visa.The letter from NZE dosn't wash either.

Yep,I ment the nongs at Internal Affairs.The passport was in shocking condition...absolutly rooted, so how they thought it could have been tampered with, I'll never know. They are public servants that have cocked up.Stupid buggers.

Did you state you had a current visa in your damaged passport when requesting a replacement? It is possible to cancel the old p/p without destroying it and return it to the holder in a case like this. (in Oz anyway)

Did you state you had a current visa in your damaged passport when requesting a replacement? It is possible to cancel the old p/p without destroying it and return it to the holder in a case like this. (in Oz anyway)

I was told it was going to be returned to me, they just made a cock up. :o

Hello Chuckok -

Originally, in order to apply for a new passport, could you have told the NZ embassy an "untruth" that your passport was either stolen or missing, in the first place? That way, you would still have your water-logged passport with original, current visa and while waiting to receive your new passport.

I was told it was going to be returned to me, they just made a cock up. :o

One thing I have learnt a long time ago, through experience: when dealing with government officials, of any country, do everything in writing. If I want my old passport back, cancelled, in whatever way they may chose to cancel it, I put it in writing, signed sealed and delivered.

You are one experience richer.

I asked a similar question about 10 days ago on the other thread about lost passports, and don't recall getting a clear answer. So here goes.

I lost my passport in Hua Hin upon arrival, 27 July. The American Embassy in Bangkok is making me a new 10-year passport that should be ready on Friday or Monday. I do have a photocopy of the one-year multi-entry, non-immigrant B visa issued in April by the Houston consulate.

Once I have a new passport, can I get a statement put in there by the friendly people in Bangkok Immigration, that I have a one-year multi that was initiated by my entry into the Kingdom in late April 2005?

What I don't have a copy of, is my last entry into Mae Sai, around 11 July 2005. Does that matter?

I'm going to Ireland and Spain, starting 8 September. Should I try to get a new one-year in Dublin or Madrid?

I have submitted three posts in recent months:

#Visas and migration to other countries

##Australian Embassy Brickbats 2005-08-01 21:00:02

## Australian Embassy & Security 2005-08-17 20:10:06

#Thai visas, residency and work permits

##Nong Khai Posted on: 2005-08-27 13:25:53

Amongst the issues I raised was the lack of knowledge displayed by the staff. This was in regard to "My washed passport that included my Multi Non-Immg class O visa.

After reading of your dilema I am now sure if I had not made my point and also communicated with DFAT Australia (one way- no plausable response from Aust nothing at all from Bangkok) I would be on the plane with you to Singapore to obtain a new 1 year visa.

This is like closing the gate after the "visa" has bolted but maybe some other unknowing soul will benefit from the posts.

In a word do not rely upon your embassy to know the procedure, check it out for yourself before you embark on the unknown, and further to that if what you know to be correct is countermanded by the locally employed staff ask Politely to see the supervisor, do not take not in or out to lunch as an answer just move your request up the pecking order. I am sure by the time you ask to see the ambassador indicating your not leaving until satisfied a result will be forthcoming.

I have submitted three posts in recent months:

#Visas and migration to other countries

##Australian Embassy Brickbats 2005-08-01 21:00:02

## Australian Embassy & Security 2005-08-17 20:10:06

#Thai visas, residency and work permits

##Nong Khai  Posted on: 2005-08-27 13:25:53

Amongst the issues I raised was the lack of knowledge displayed by the staff. This was in regard to "My washed passport that included my Multi Non-Immg class O visa.

After reading of your dilema I am now sure if I had not made my point and also communicated with DFAT Australia (one way- no plausable response from Aust nothing at all from Bangkok) I would be on the plane with you to Singapore to obtain a new 1 year visa.

This is like closing the gate after the "visa" has bolted but maybe some other unknowing  soul will benefit from the posts.

In a word do not rely upon your embassy to know the procedure, check it out for yourself before you embark on the unknown, and further to that if what you know to be correct is countermanded by the locally employed staff ask Politely to see the supervisor, do not take not in or out to lunch as an answer just move your request up the pecking order. I am sure by the time you ask to see the ambassador indicating your not leaving until satisfied a result will be forthcoming.

Your links don't work?

For the record, the NZ Embassy has been very helpfull so far.