Air Conditioning Units And Beds

ginooooo

2 questions. Been in a few hotels there in Chiangmai, Bangkok. I will be looking to buy an outside air-condition unit, like a Carrier, and seems like the stores I have visited before just have those inside units. Look cheap and inefficient for a big house. So, anywhere to buy a good reliable outside unit?

Also, seems like the beds I have bought in the past, are hard as rocks or not comfortable. Any good places near Chiangrai to buy a like good hotel bed mattress, like a Simmons, foam, etc? When I move there permanently next year, I want to be comfortable. No more fans blowing hot air or sleeping on hard beds.

Thank you.

Actually the typical AC is fairly efficient here considering Thailand's masonry construction and lack of insulation. It is like having multi-zoned AC. Can't argue about the aesthetics though. You get used to it. You will have to custom build a house to get central AC (I think) and probably get a commercial unit (I think). It would come with a lot of issues though.

You can find a decent mattress here in CR or certainly in CM. Only you know how particular you are.:jap:

Edited by scorpio1945

I believe you might be referring to central air vs the split room air conditioners commonly used in Thailand.

1. Central air is more expensive and less efficient to use (you have to cool the whole house, rather than just part of the house). There is a lot of thermal loss due to the ducting. Room air conditioners allow you to cool only the necessary rooms and use no ducting.
  2. Most houses in Thailand, do not have adequate electric service for central air. Some do not have adequate service for more than 1 air conditioner.
  3. Central air is considerably more expensive to buy and install. One major problem is the ducting to distribute the cool air.

If you don't like the look of the surface mount air conditioners, you buy what they call 'four way' or 'soffit' air conditioners. The heat exchanger is mounted inside the ceiling or soffit. These tend to be noisier because of vibration.

The split air conditioners have two components. The heat exchanger which is mounted in a room and circulates the cool air, and a compressor unit which is mounted outside the house. You should keep the distance from the compressor to the heat exchanger as short as possible for better cooling efficiency. I've seen compressors mounted on the ground, on walls, and on top of roofs. They should be mounted on the ground for noise reduction within the house. For better efficiency, they should also be mounted in an open area to allow the hot air to escape easily.

When you purchase a unit, it has to be chosen by the BTU rating. The BTU rating in Thailand is usually based on the size of the room (i.e. for a 16sqm room the air conditioner should be about 12,000 BTU).

Edited by BB1950

Hi Ginoooo,

There's a good air-con shop on the main (Pahonyotin) road that runs through Phayao. It's between the Phayao Ram hospital and Pradtuu Chai junction on the same side as the Esso garage. Family run place and cheaper than the other shops in the Phayao area....

We've just bought 2 units for our new house here and will be purchasing another 2 very soon. Ended up going for Mitsubishi inverters, which seem very good so far and are extremely quiet! I'm not sure what you mean when you say an 'outside' air-con unit, but these come with the wall mounted unit inside with an external 'compressor' (if that's what you call it?) that sits outside.

You won't find a decent bed in Phayao though. I'm all for a comfy mattress and we picked a decent one up in Chiang Mai in the end - I'm sure you'd find something in Chiang Rai, just make sure you check about delivery prices unless you are transporting it yourself?!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Ginoooo,

There's a good air-con shop on the main (Pahonyotin) road that runs through Phayao. It's between the Phayao Ram hospital and Pradtuu Chai junction on the same side as the Esso garage. Family run place and cheaper than the other shops in the Phayao area....

We've just bought 2 units for our new house here and will be purchasing another 2 very soon. Ended up going for Mitsubishi inverters, which seem very good so far and are extremely quiet! I'm not sure what you mean when you say an 'outside' air-con unit, but these come with the wall mounted unit inside with an external 'compressor' (if that's what you call it?) that sits outside.

You won't find a decent bed in Phayao though. I'm all for a comfy mattress and we picked a decent one up in Chiang Mai in the end - I'm sure you'd find something in Chiang Rai, just make sure you check about delivery prices unless you are transporting it yourself?!

Cheers,

Mike

I would agree on two counts. Better selection of beds in Chiang Mai than Chiang Rai. We also went for inverters, but from Daikin. Inverters can be a little more complicated to work on, so make sure you find a repairman who knows what he is doing. :)

Plenty of very good beds at both the big furniture stores on the super-highway in CR, have a wide choice from all the major brands, we got a very comfortable sealy posturepedic here last year.

Chiang Rai didn't carry what we were accustomed to sleeping on in Bangkok, for the previous ten years, but we did find what we wanted in Chiang Mai. Furniture selection in Chiang Mai is also much better but yes you can find both, beds and furniture, in Chiang Rai. It all depends on what you are looking for. :)

"So, anywhere to buy a good reliable outside unit? ...big house"

you need a three-phase electric connection for an "outside unit" (i think you are referring to central airconditioning) servicing a "big" house. even if you have that connection you will have problems because quite often one of the phases have a black-out or brown-out which will burn your compressor (if not protected with a shut-off) and if protected you will have no cooling.

if your are willing to take these risks you will have problems to find a company for installation and you have problems to find insulated ducts.

take my advice: as you are obviously a layman who is not able to supervise the work of thai "experts"... forget about it!

p.s. if you are willing to spend double or triple the money for the same cooling capacity but less efficiency because of aesthetics then have "cassette units" installed in the ceiling which look like big outlets of a central a/c.

Ceiling-Cassette-Shop.jpg

"So, anywhere to buy a good reliable outside unit? ...big house"

you need a three-phase electric connection for an "outside unit" (i think you are referring to central airconditioning) servicing a "big" house. even if you have that connection you will have problems because quite often one of the phases have a black-out or brown-out which will burn your compressor (if not protected with a shut-off) and if protected you will have no cooling.

if your are willing to take these risks you will have problems to find a company for installation and you have problems to find insulated ducts.

take my advice: as you are obviously a layman who is not able to supervise the work of thai "experts"... forget about it!

p.s. if you are willing to spend double or triple the money for the same cooling capacity but less efficiency because of aesthetics then have "cassette units" installed in the ceiling which look like big outlets of a central a/c.

Ceiling-Cassette-Shop.jpg

Is that a picture of your walk-in wardrobe Naam? :unsure:

Thank you for everyone for your answers. Now I know the types you can get there and I was thinking about central air but sounds not feasible now. I will have to look into that inverter setup. I have super high vaulted ceilings.

Bought 2 beds in Phayo before and definitely need something more comfortable.

Wife's cousin is maybe the biggest contractor around and built our home, so expertise should be no problem

Is that a picture of your walk-in wardrobe Naam? :unsure:

no it is not ;) only my pool area has a cassette unit installed and that -believe it or not!- because of its inefficient sucking the hottest air in a room.

reason: primary task of the unit is to heat my pool during the cool season, cooling the area is secondary.

Thank you for everyone for your answers. Now I know the types you can get there and I was thinking about central air but sounds not feasible now. I will have to look into that inverter setup. I have super high vaulted ceilings.

1. Wife's cousin is maybe the biggest contractor around and built our home, so...

2. expertise should be no problem.

1. ask him whether his a/c subcontractor has experience installing "concealed" units. much cheaper than the cassette type and more aesthetic than the wall mounted split units. but because of your high ceilings the efficiency would be = :bah:

2. i wouldn't be so sure about that :lol:

1. Wife's cousin is maybe the biggest contractor around and built our home, so...

2. expertise should be no problem.

1. ask him whether his a/c subcontractor has experience installing "concealed" units. much cheaper than the cassette type and more aesthetic than the wall mounted split units. but because of your high ceilings the efficiency would be = :bah:

2. i wouldn't be so sure about that :lol:

Sorry, no clue what is a "concealed" unit. Also the home is all concrete for the bottom half, and brick with concrete for the top half. Is that kind for installing in windows?

Sorry, no clue what is a "concealed" unit. Also the home is all concrete for the bottom half, and brick with concrete for the top half. Is that kind for installing in windows?

those misfits of window units are (to the best of my knowledge) not available anymore in Thailand. i have seen homes with "concealed" units where the cooling part is hidden in the area of the suspended ceiling (just like cassette units) with an outlet as you know them from a home with ducted central airconditioning. the problem with both (concealed and cassette type) is that most of the time there is not enough natural slope available to drain the condens water. because of this small electric pumps are used and if the pump fails your gypsum (if you are american "dry wall" or "sheetrock") ceiling will become a mess.

my advice: take a look at the conventional split units, inside unit mounted on the wall. there are nice and sleek designs available. no hassle with condens water pumps, easy to remove filters which have to be cleaned, very efficient cooling if not mounted too high and fair prices.

p.s. don't let anybody talk you into expensive "inverter" units if you don't understand all pros and cons! if somebody recommends them because "they are much quieter" be polite but turn your back and gather information. :lol:

a number of aircon threads exist on Thaivisa. all of them contain a wealth of sound advice and a wealth of what the bull shàt.

one of them:

For good beds you are better coming chiang mai for a day and go to INDEX on the superhighway near carr four and they have a large stock of import beds from US & Uk prices start from 15.000 -50.000 Baht Rob.

http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=index+chiang+mai&meta=&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&rlz=1R2GZAZ_enTH361

those misfits of window units are (to the best of my knowledge) not available anymore in Thailand. i have seen homes with "concealed" units where the cooling part is hidden in the area of the suspended ceiling (just like cassette units) with an outlet as you know them from a home with ducted central airconditioning. the problem with both (concealed and cassette type) is that most of the time there is not enough natural slope available to drain the condens water. because of this small electric pumps are used and if the pump fails your gypsum (if you are american "dry wall" or "sheetrock") ceiling will become a mess.

my advice: take a look at the conventional split units, inside unit mounted on the wall. there are nice and sleek designs available. no hassle with condens water pumps, easy to remove filters which have to be cleaned, very efficient cooling if not mounted too high and fair prices.

p.s. don't let anybody talk you into expensive "inverter" units if you don't understand all pros and cons! if somebody recommends them because "they are much quieter" be polite but turn your back and gather information. :lol:

a number of aircon threads exist on Thaivisa. all of them contain a wealth of sound advice and a wealth of what the bull shàt.

one of them:

http://www.thaivisa....y/#entry3555454

Thanks, wrote that down for my Feb visit. Conventional split units, inside unit mounted on the wall. I must admit, you seem very knowledgeable about A/C. Many of the terms here, especially by the Europeans, are new to me and not familiar. Or what the Thai's call them. That is why I am here-to learn. Thank you.

For good beds you are better coming chiang mai for a day and go to INDEX on the superhighway near carr four and they have a large stock of import beds from US & Uk prices start from 15.000 -50.000 Baht Rob.

http://www.google.co...1R2GZAZ_enTH361

Thanks for the info and the link. Chiangmai will be about a 3 hour drive and have a pickup truck. But I need something good with a bad back and that sounds like a place to go. Friends and family in Phayao know Chiangmai very well and should find it easily.

I expect also to learn the Chiangmai area from that board where is the best places to go to buy Western food to take home. Wife will have to go there every 8 weeks anyway to get her RA treatment.

Last time we were there, her cousin owns a small condo, and a few of the folks stayed there and we/2 others found a super nice hotel for $30 a night. Lack of tourist.

I shopped quite a while for an A/c unit before buying in CR. EVERY shop that I talked with told me that to get an A/C unit that would also heat in the cold season, it would have to be the inverter style. We went with the inverter unit. Internet research showed that the payback on the extra cost would be between 2 and four years, depending on electricity costs and climate. So, either way, I couldn't see going wrong with the inverter. I also froze my butt off here two winters ago and wasn't looking forward to doing it again. So, cool air in the hot season, warm air in the cold season. With the research telling me the extra expense would be recouped in the savings from the efficiency of the thing, it was an easy decision for me. I'm not an expert. But I know what makes me feel good.

I shopped quite a while for an A/c unit before buying in CR. EVERY shop that I talked with told me that to get an A/C unit that would also heat in the cold season, it would have to be the inverter style. We went with the inverter unit. Internet research showed that the payback on the extra cost would be between 2 and four years, depending on electricity costs and climate. So, either way, I couldn't see going wrong with the inverter. I also froze my butt off here two winters ago and wasn't looking forward to doing it again. So, cool air in the hot season, warm air in the cold season. With the research telling me the extra expense would be recouped in the savings from the efficiency of the thing, it was an easy decision for me. I'm not an expert. But I know what makes me feel good.

Heats also? For sure will check out. Installation, etc. Nice to know have many ways to go on this project. I does get cold there in the Phayao area.

it depends on nothing else then the demand the unit has to service and if you depend on recommendations of shops and thai "experts" who's knowledge about conventional units is extremely poor then don't worry and be happy. simple maths would do the job too that there is no way to make up for the higher price within a period of 2-4 years. that depends of course mainly on the price difference. some posters claim that they bought inverter units for "the same price" as conventional ones... but most probably only in their elusive dreams ;)