Should Thai Visa Let Bernard Trink Carry On Here

dr_Pat_Pong

Pity about your rugby team - second best, ah well.

That was ages ago...

Since then..

Rugby League: Australia 18 - UK 12.

Ashes victory to Austraia 3 - 0.

Hockey: Australia 5 - England 0

Cricket: England made to look ordinary against a second string Western Australia XI.

After another dismal performance, England have no choice but to step up another couple of gears in the next week or so if they are going to cause Australia any problems in the first Ashes Test in Brisbane. England's two-day tour match against an under-strength Western Australia at the WACA ended in a draw.

I guess we'll be hearing more of your pathetic cricket team when they get to the Gabba. :o

Guest IT Manager

some time back there was a bit of a question about which country would get it next. Looks like bloody Australia.

Well they have John Howard, kangaroos and XXXX beer. What have the Marshall Islands got if I may be so bold?

If TV gives Trink a slot, and I hope it does, I would like him to make a few changes.

More stories, please (he must have seen a few in his 35 years as a columnist), and replies to readers' questions, too.

Burma Shave might have to go, along with Nigerian scams. He might have to abandon his cherished 1950s black typewriter, though, and catch up with the computer age. I can't see anyone at TV happily typing in his column for him when he's old enough to use a computer himself.

Pity about your rugby team - second best, ah well.

That was ages ago...

Since then..

Rugby League: Australia 18 - UK 12.

Ashes victory to Austraia 3 - 0.

Hockey: Australia 5 - England 0

Cricket: England made to look ordinary against a second string Western Australia XI.

After another dismal performance, England have no choice but to step up another couple of gears in the next week or so if they are going to cause Australia any problems in the first Ashes Test in Brisbane. England's two-day tour match against an under-strength Western Australia at the WACA ended in a draw.

I guess we'll be hearing more of your pathetic cricket team when they get to the Gabba. :o

Winge all you like Aussie, but I do believe the English are the holders of the Rugby Union World Cup.

A fact that we are going to live on, gloat about and tease our Commonwealth cousins on, for the next 40 years.

Because, as you quite rightly point out, we sure as ######, are not going to win anything else.

Nemo hic adest illius nominis. Fac ut vivas.

which, for those who don't have the Latin or can't yet use Google, means:

There is nobody here of that name. Get a life.

Phew! That's a relief - I thought you'd eaten the Disney fish and it was giving you indigestion.

Yawn . . . .

I read Trinks column .., and it's not much good really,

You are missing the point. As others have said Trink is an institution in Thailand. He was in his day a must read columnist. This is perhaps something newbies may not appreciate and prefer to pan his latter day efforts which dull in comparison. Before the Internet evolved I have seen many eager punters wait to catch his column on Bangkok and Pattaya?s nightlife in an airmailed copy of the Bangkok World whilst planning their trip back to Thailand in some far flung place of the world. He has left them with some fond memories.

I don?t care for much he writes these days, but always read it, and would love to see him continue elsewhere.

If TV gives Trink a slot, and I hope it does, I would like him to make a few changes.

More stories, please (he must have seen a few in his 35 years as a columnist), and replies to readers' questions, too.

Burma Shave might have to go, along with Nigerian scams. He might have to abandon his cherished 1950s black typewriter, though, and catch up with the computer age. I can't see anyone at TV happily typing in his column for him when he's old enough to use a computer himself.

We will support him 100% if he skips the Burma Shave and would like to come here:)

FYI Thaivisa.com has more daily visitors than his old Post website. We even have more visitors/page views per day than The Post and The Nation together actually.

Source: http://truehits.net

Hard to email Trink for advise as the Post people prints outs the "suitable" emails for him after reading them.

TiT. Nuff said.

Does Mr. Trink have a mobile number? Please PM me, or I will visit the Klong Toey office and see him.

My take is that Bernard Trink and Harold Stephens are about the best two reasons for reading the Bangkok Post. It and the Nation are just not the newspapers they once were.

I'd love to see TV pursue lining up a contract for both. There are those like myself who would certainly spend the time to read what both have to say.

Never miss a chance to improve TV.

Ken and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas

How fascinating to read such comments are and much has been the interest aroused here at my beloved Corpus Chrisit College, Oxford University, England.

Indeed, upon reviewing at length the eloquence and literary accomplishment of the dear Mr Trink, my esteemed colleagues and I are now firmly of the opinion that the gentleman in question would be a most suitable receipient of one of our cherished honorourary degrees.

Truly, his style and wit are qualities that have done much to shape the fabric of contemporary expat society in the country of Thailand.

Methinks that all too little do his ill-judged detractors recognise how this voice of contention and anachronistic charm stands out amidst the swill of blandness and mediocrity which pervades all too often these days our leisure time reading material.

I'm also reliably informed by my dear friend Dr Anthony Mycroft that there is a word for it: "Trinkbashing" - the act of failing to appreciate one who, while not a true genius, is one nonetheless worthy of slow digestion, contemplation and comment.

And just how many other journalists are there out there today about whom the same may be said?

Surprised nobody has mentioned Roger Crutchly in these discussions,he has by far a greater understanding of Thailand and the Thai people than trink ever has.I think he's been here for over 35 years

If anybody should be asked to do a column here,he should be considered,he far more wittier than trink will ever be.

I bet he could tell some stories about the night life that he could not print in the B.P.

Yikes, stuck here in the states, Trink is somewhat less available. But I think that TV should offer him a gig, if possible. For all those that don't want him, don't click the link to Trink. Just master your unruly index finger and you won't have to be bothered reading him.

If his stuff is really boring, mundane, or whatever, time and a hit counter will tell the tale. Plus his work may improve if he writes for a less restrictive publisher. And hey, I like burma shave jingles.

Jeepz :o

How fascinating to read such comments are and much has been the interest aroused here at my beloved Corpus Chrisit College, Oxford University, England.

Indeed, upon reviewing at length the eloquence and literary accomplishment of the dear Mr Trink, my esteemed colleagues and I are now firmly of the opinion that the gentleman in question would be a most suitable receipient of one of our cherished honorourary degrees.

Truly, his style and wit are qualities that have done much to shape the fabric of contemporary expat society in the country of Thailand.

Methinks that all too little do his ill-judged detractors recognise how this voice of contention and anachronistic charm stands out amidst the swill of blandness and mediocrity which pervades all too often these days our leisure time reading material.

I'm also reliably informed by my dear friend Dr Anthony Mycroft that there is a word for it: "Trinkbashing" - the act of failing to appreciate one who, while not a true genius, is one nonetheless worthy of slow digestion, contemplation and comment.

And just how many other journalists are there out there today about whom the same may be said?

Your spelling is kinda off for a linguist Professor. I thought we had heard enough of you and your trolling, Last I heard you were in Oxford for good.

Mr dear Dr Pat Pong, how kind it is of you to reply so promptly to my recent posting. As a fellow academic, please accept my warmest regards.

And yes, my spelling is indeed off. I have discussed this matter with my trusted colleague, Dr Anthony Connelle, and he like me is firmly of the opinion that you would be the ideal candidate to proof read our soon-to-be-released dictionary of colloquialisms used to describes modern day bores who delight in frivolities and trivialities.

Rest assured, remuneration would be commensurate with your very obvious talents, although I’m afraid that overall editorship of the project is currently not an option as this position has already been granted to one rather more able than yourself to read between the lines and comprehend the greater picture.

Don't encourage him dear IT. He left us forever a while back, at which time one of his alter ego's said that he and the others were gone forever. To assist them in the matter I used that delightful facility on here to help them achieve this. Now they have given their collective business to a new internet cafe, they are all back with different IP's.

For Trink to work for Thai visas page he must be brave,

But for extra courage use Burma Shave.

Here is an email sent to me this week; Take a Mosey;

Dear Trink,

I am an oil executive for Nigeria National Oil Company and have inherited Oil shares valued at 50 Million US Dollars, I plan to cash these shares and transfer the funds by telegraphic transfer to a U.K. based bank. If you can help me I shall reward you with 20% of the total funds transferred that is 10 Million U.S. Dollars.

Please forward your bank account number and a telephone and fax number so I can commence the transfer immediately.

(One Week Later) Punter has wired 5 thousand pounds of own money to 'set up' the deal. He loses his money and phones Nigeria to complain. He gives his home address and the Nigerian assures him he will courier the money back to him.

Ten minutes later two large Nigerians bang at the door dressed in suits with two large suitcases. They enter the punters house with big smiles. Once inside they

strangle the punter, kill him ritually, dissect the body and remove certain organs for Black Magic Mumbo Jumbo use in Africa. The organs are lovingly put in glass jars and put into the suitcases.

The Headless, Limbless punters torso is then wrapped in carpet, and thrown into the river Thames, later to be discovered by boat police, who also find a small sack containing ritual candles and large hand painted magical phalluses made out of wood.

Warning; don't respond to these scam emails!!! :o

Guest IT Manager
For Trink to work for Thai visas page he must be brave,

But for extra courage use Burma Shave.

Here is an email sent to me this week; Take a Mosey;

Dear Trink,

I am an oil executive for Nigeria National Oil Company and have inherited Oil shares valued at 50 Million US Dollars, I plan to cash these shares and transfer the funds by telegraphic transfer to a U.K. based bank. If you can help me I shall reward you with 20% of the total funds transferred that is 10 Million U.S. Dollars.

Please forward your bank account number and a telephone and fax number so I can commence the transfer immediately.

(One Week Later) Punter has wired 5 thousand pounds of own money to 'set up' the deal. He loses his money and phones Nigeria to complain. He gives his home address and the Nigerian assures him he will courier the money back to him.

Ten minutes later two large Nigerians bang at the door dressed in suits with two large suitcases. They enter the punters house with big smiles. Once inside they

strangle the punter, kill him ritually, dissect the body and remove certain organs for Black Magic Mumbo Jumbo use in Africa. The organs are lovingly put in glass jars and put into the suitcases.

The Headless, Limbless punters torso is then wrapped in carpet, and thrown into the river Thames, later to be discovered by boat police, who also find a small sack containing ritual candles and large hand painted magical phalluses made out of wood.

Warning; don't respond to these scam emails!!! :o

Strange really.. sounds armless enough.. but then he may have been legless in nana plaza.