Should Thai Visa Let Bernard Trink Carry On Here

dr_Pat_Pong

NO

personally I think he has not kept in touch with reality, but he will attract quite a few of his followers to your site if you have him continue his column here , though unfortunately they will be of a similar type. ones that give a hoot about all sorts of inanities.

A propos nothing.....

If he agrees, he'll need paying.

My suggestion is that ThaiVisa seeks direct sponsorship of his column.

Along the lines of, "Trinks Trove, courtesy of IndoSiam"

...obviously that's a styling Bangkok Post could never use.

The product placement value is enormous to a corporate sponsor.

Has to be a sponsor with cojones though, as many advertisers refuse to be connected with Bangkok's nightlife.

I read Trinks column in Bangkok Post on a Friday, and it's not much good really, I could probably compile a list of events around Bangkok and Pattaya, if people sent me emails of events. The odd funny story or phrases are all donated via email and I'm getting sick and tired of those Burma aftershave quips, in fact here: I'll make one up;

Out on the cop, and ready to rave,

Splash with Burma After Shave.

Here is a wise saying;

After evacuating your bowels, wash your hands-Syd Barrett 2003

Heres a letter from Clinton Sounds;

Dear B.T. My girlfriend has a sick buffalo, blah blah blah, my brother needs new spectacles blah, blah.

B.T. Well I'll take that as read than.BUT I DONT GIVE A HOOT!!!

Guest IT Manager

I am unsure of this though I have to say I have read a lot of his columns, but not religiously. Some were quite funny, others not so.

It would likely be good for the board if he said he was going online at Thaivisa.com prior to the 26th, see how it goes.

As for paying.. why? If he is like a lot of journos with wit, he likes to share and a person who writes regularly gets a bit used to it. Whether it's online or in a news paper, IMHO.

I think probably give him a shot, if he wants it, maybe a new experience for him though fielding questions about his column as the admins field questions about their decisions re sandbox etc.

Give it a shot so my vote.. sure why not.

IT :o

People find it very easy to knock and impersonate Trink - but he's an original. If people fancy a go, let them develop their own style.

The entire point is that his idioms are queer, corny and circumlocutious. If Trink wanted to write in the same style as a Times journalist, he could. (Its actually far easier to do than to write in vernacular).

...and he'll need paying. He's still a pro. Yes, there are journailists here, (including myself) who enjoy the site - but he's too long in the tooth, and has seen too much of the commercial side of fun to put out for nowt.

Give the old bugger THB 10,000 a month, some company will underwrite that.

(Nury Vittachi's q&a on icered.com. He didn't do that for free!!)

i think it's a great idea to get the old dinosaur to write on thaivisa.provided he could justify his ideas and beliefs, and would be prepared to answer "readers questions"

he would come in for a lot of criticism, and i would hope that he would respond to that criticism with more than "i dont give a hoot", but it would make for some lively reading, if moderated properly.

sign him up if you can.

I prefer my XXXX icy cold in a pot.  :D

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh an Aussie :o

a queenslander to be more precise...

could be of that rare breed... a north queenslander

I have to try and look impressed when I am shown beaches, rainforest and waterfalls when I am here in thailand..mai be lai

B)

Frankly, I don't like Mr. Trink's column in the Bangkok Post very much. I really don't intend to be sarcastic, but all his column seems to consist of are Nigerian scam letters stuff from the dictionary. It really seems to me that he is simply trying to fill up space anyway he can. I seldom see something of interest.

You do not like Nite Owl

- BUT - you obviously read him.

His is the First Column I read on Fridays

- if Bangkok Post have finished with him

- I would certainly like to read him here.

He will obviously have his own section

- so those who really want to avoid him can do so.

But I bet they read him - and then critisize him !!!

Bill