How To Reinstall Windows Xp

CM4Me

Recently my motherboard died. So I called & paid a Thai Tech to make repairs. As it is 5 years old, I was aked what I wanted, a repair or an upgrade. I chose to upgrade, & yes my machine is working faster.

Originally I had an original registered copy of XP Home on my PC, & I received regular update notifications from Microsoft. Unfortunately, the technician has now installed a copied XP Pro, along with some other programs that I'm not sure what they do. In addition IE is so old it must be the original version.

I still have the original XP Home CD, which I would like to reinstall.

In about 15 years of owning a PC I've never had a problem like this, & therefore I'm unsure of what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Kevin

Consider yourself lucky!

It's typical for shops in Thailand to install a illegal copy with all the crap Thais like or to advertise their shop. That's why I won't take it to a shop to install Windows. Because different motherboards use different low level drivers for the chipsets. Windows had to be reinstalled.

You need to set the BIOS to boot from CD. Some BIOS's have a boot menu that appears when you press the F8 key during POST. If not, you need to change the settings to the boot order in the BIOS. Usually pressing one of these keys during the POST will get you into the BIOS settings. F1, F2, F12, or DELETE It depends on the BIOS.

Make sure the Windows setup disk is in the CD when you boot. Just follow the instructions from there.

Be sure that you have backed up your important information. Reinstalling windows will reformat the hard drive.

You will also need the new drivers CD that came with the motherboard and any other hardware devices. After Windows setup completes you need to install the drivers for everything. Windows only installs default drivers to get the system going. You need current version of the hardware manufactures drivers for optimum performance.

You will also need to keep doing updates from Microsoft until you have no more updates. There will be many to install!

you could reinstall your "old" genuine Microsoft Windows XP BUT once you go to their website they will check to see if you have a genuine copy. It is my understanding that they will be able to see that you now have a new computer (new motherboard)and will advise you to buy a new copy. It is quite common when techs fix a computer that they install some bogus copy of XP and throw in all kinds of "free" software.

As I see it you have 2 choices, do nothing BUT don't get the updates. OR spring for a new Microsoft Windows XP

Me I would use a REAL Windows XP or Win 7

Don't we just love those Thai techs ! I spend so much time trying to convey more than 30 years worth of good practice and experience to my techs who go out to service clients ..... always worry !

Good advice - copy all of your important data off to an exdternal HD prior to the upgrade. If you use Outlook for email then don't forget about the 'history' files.

I had an original copy of Windows XP installed on a desktop computer. It eventually died so I decided to junk it and re-install the same copy of WIndows on a laptop. When I tried to register it flagged up that it was already running on another machine. I don't know how I got this number. It was a long time ago, but I think it appeared within Windows. It gave me the telephone number of Microsoft in SIngapore. I called them and explained that I wanted to run WIndows on a new machine. They accepted my explanation and issued a new serial number over the phone.

Go ahead and do that. It will be cheaper than buying a new copy of Windows and most importantly you will get all the updates.

It is possible that if you installed Windows on the first machine a long time ago, it won't flag up as a duplicate installation on a different machine because Microsoft's tracking database gets purged now and again (I don't know how often) and may not have a record of a previous registration.

If the motherboard has been replaced, you cannot use the original legal copy of Windows XP anymore. Microsoft specifically states in the EULA that replacing the motherboard constitutes building a new PC for which a new licence is required. Since Win XP is no longer legally available, you'll have to consider either keeping the copy which has been installed for you, or install Linux. I doubt whether the machine will support Windows 7 since it's too old by the sound of it. You need a Windows 7 compliant BIOS in that particular respect.

You can uninstall any junk which has been added along with the Windows installation by going to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. To skip going the Control Panel route, press Windows logo key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click OK.

All this advice assumes that the copy of XP being used is an OEM version. If it's a full or an upgrade version it can be re-installed on as many different machines as you like - as long it's only installed on one machine at a time.

All this advice assumes that the copy of XP being used is an OEM version. If it's a full or an upgrade version it can be re-installed on as many different machines as you like - as long it's only installed on one machine at a time.

Absolutely Correct!

In early days of Windows XP there was no way for Microsoft to even know what motherboard was used when Windows XP was first installed on some machines.

Windows XP is not sold anymore, but it is still supported.

Absolutely Correct!

In early days of Windows XP there was no way for Microsoft to even know what motherboard was used when Windows XP was first installed on some machines.

Generally speaking, if you buy a new PC, you get an OEM version of the OS. If you buy a retail version, then you would also know how to install it on a PC and therefore wouldn't be asking this question on the forum. Since the retail version is three times the cost of the OEM version, few people will opt to pay the extra when buying a new PC. If anything, it won't even be offered as an option.

As regard the comment about Microsoft not knowing which motherboard was installed in the machine, it hardly makes any difference. When any version of Windows is installed, the system creates a HAL (Hardware Extraction Layer) and talks to that. If you change the motherboard for a type which is not a clone of the original, the HAL will no longer match and will ultimately result in system instability.

After reinstalling the OS, the user has 30 days in which to activate it. The whole process is automatic, but will be checked against the original file. If a discrepancy is discovered, then activation won't take place. Without activation, the operating system will all but cease to function once the 30 days has expired.

The best option for the OP is to live with the OS which has been installed for him since a system builder will have a licence to do that, but to uninstall all the junk that came with it via Add/Remove Programs. Either that, or consider buying a new machine.

Absolutely Correct!

Generally speaking, if you buy a new PC, you get an OEM version of the OS. If you buy a retail version, then you would also know how to install it on a PC and therefore wouldn't be asking this question on the forum. Since the retail version is three times the cost of the OEM version, few people will opt to pay the extra when buying a new PC. If anything, it won't even be offered as an option.

As regard the comment about Microsoft not knowing which motherboard was installed in the machine, it hardly makes any difference. When any version of Windows is installed, the system creates a HAL (Hardware Extraction Layer) and talks to that. If you change the motherboard for a type which is not a clone of the original, the HAL will no longer match and will ultimately result in system instability.

After reinstalling the OS, the user has 30 days in which to activate it. The whole process is automatic, but will be checked against the original file. If a discrepancy is discovered, then activation won't take place. Without activation, the operating system will all but cease to function once the 30 days has expired.

The best option for the OP is to live with the OS which has been installed for him since a system builder will have a licence to do that, but to uninstall all the junk that came with it via Add/Remove Programs. Either that, or consider buying a new machine.

That doesn't make sense. It sounds as if he is saying that the system is not updating, as he is writing about an old version of IE. So if he can't update, it doesn't look as if it is licenced.

Absolutely Correct!

That doesn't make sense. It sounds as if he is saying that the system is not updating, as he is writing about an old version of IE. So if he can't update, it doesn't look as if it is licenced.

He can download IE8 from the web: http://www.microsoft...er/default.aspx There's nothing to prevent the OP from updating the OS and he should do that anyway.

If Firefox has been installed, it's most likely to be v3.0. So he should also go to the FF download site @ http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/ and update that too.

He can download IE8 from the web: http://www.microsoft...er/default.aspx There's nothing to prevent the OP from updating the OS and he should do that anyway.

If Firefox has been installed, it's most likely to be v3.0. So he should also go to the FF download site @ http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/ and update that too.

He shouldn't have to download IE individually, if Windows Updates are working and the installation can pass the WGA checks.

He shouldn't have to download IE individually, if Windows Updates are working and the installation can pass the WGA checks.

Personally, I always have that disabled because I don't want everything Microsoft wants to throw my way.

But anyway, he should download the latest version of IE from the link I already mentioned because older versions are vulnerable to a number of exploits.

Personally, I always have that disabled because I don't want everything Microsoft wants to throw my way.

But anyway, he should download the latest version of IE from the link I already mentioned because older versions are vulnerable to a number of exploits.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me....are you suggesting that he install IE8, but ignores the updates and patches??

I'm sure he doesn't want to mess around; combing through the updates before installation so that he can avoid WGA checks.

Better to have a fully activated OS from the beginning. He also has no idea of what else has been installed or modified. So he can a clean install with an unmodified disc. Can't be that difficult to decipher.

WGA checks occur when visiting the Windows Update site through a browser. Operating system enhancements and feature updates (e.g. LLTD, MSE, WMP11) may also require validation but these are few and far between. No validation is performed in Automatic Update mode.

IE8 is available to everyone -- genuine and pirate users alike. This wasn't the case when it was first released, but has long since changed due to security concerns.

IE8 is no exception.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2183461)

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me....are you suggesting that he install IE8, but ignores the updates and patches??

I'm sure he doesn't want to mess around; combing through the updates before installation so that he can avoid WGA checks.

Better to have a fully activated OS from the beginning. He also has no idea of what else has been installed or modified. So he can a clean install with an unmodified disc. Can't be that difficult to decipher.

Presumably you didn't read what I wrote here

What I suggest he does is to install IE8 and then go to the Windows Update site (link on your Start menu OP) and then install everything that's necessary. You have to bear in mind that unless Windows XP SP3 is installed, automatic updates will no longer work. See Microsoft ended support for Windows XP SP2 in July 2010

Decline any updates that heve the letters WGA in them. No more problems. Turn on Automatic updates & select allow me to choose when to download & install updates.

I don't know why all this rambling......

The OP asked for help with a clean install, not for help in running a dodgy copy of Windows XP.

His own legal copy of Windows XP becomes 'dodgy' if he tries to install in on a PC with a new motherboard which is not an exact clone of the one he had in there originally.

In other words, the OS will cease to function after the 30 day activation period has expired. Therefore you can't help the guy with the reinstallation unless you're going to provide him with a crack to circumvent the procedure Microsoft has in place to verify that the motherboard hasn't been replaced with anything other than a clone of the original. Since the machine is five years old, that's highly unlikely.

As I said in the OP I have owned a computer for the best part of 15 years. I'm not all that adventurous (in regards to computing) & therefore my comfort zone has limited me somewhat to

* Word processing

* E Mailing

* Photo Albums

* Music Library

Seldom do I venture outside the above comfort zones, so, when my computer was returned in a somewhat different configuration to what I was previously comfortable with, I needed help. Therefore I find all the comments / suggestions etc posted here most enlightening.

So, based on what comments / suggestions received I have

* Reinstalled my favorite Anti-Spy & Malware programs

* Uninstalled those 'unknown' or 'unwanted' programs

* Updated IE to 8

* Discovered the links in 'Downloads' of all the previous free-ware that I had downloaded, those one mainly recommended by Wanda over the years

* Decided to stay with this 'unlicensed' XP Pro for now, &, sometime in the not too distant future, will purchase a new PC / Notebook with 'original licensed' OS.

Tks to one & all for your input & or advice, its greatly appreciated Kevin

Edited by CM4Me

As I said in the OP I have owned a computer for the best part of 15 years. I'm not all that adventurous (in regards to computing) & therefore my comfort zone has limited me somewhat to

* Word processing

* E Mailing

* Photo Albums

* Music Library

Seldom do I venture outside the above comfort zones, so, when my computer was returned in a somewhat different configuration to what I was previously comfortable with, I needed help. Therefore I find all the comments / suggestions etc posted here most enlightening.

So, based on what comments / suggestions received I have

* Reinstalled my favorite Anti-Spy & Malware programs

* Uninstalled those 'unknown' or 'unwanted' programs

* Updated IE to 8

* Discovered the links in 'Downloads' of all the previous free-ware that I had downloaded, those one mainly recommended by Wanda over the years

* Decided to stay with this 'unlicensed' XP Pro for now, &, sometime in the not too distant future, will purchase a new PC / Notebook with 'original licensed' OS.

Tks to one & all for your input & or advice, its greatly appreciated Kevin

OK, a final note then.

To ascertain whether any Windows Service Packs have been installed, press Windows logo key + Pause/Break. This will take you to System Properties. It will tell you there which Service Pack has been installed, if any. See picture.

If you don't see any at all, then you'll have to install SP1a first of all and then SP3. In that respect, you can skip SP2. If SP2 is installed, you can install SP3 straight away. Info and download link here: How to obtain the latest Windows XP Service Pack

Running a PC without any Service Packs installed at all is downright suicide because of countless vulnerabilities in an unpatched system.

post-101376-007475100 1286293027_thumb.p

Edited by Xircal

Here we go again. Some poor guy asks a perfectly reasonable question and gets flooded with answers from people who must be so bored they just cannot resist answering questions on subjects of which they clearly have zero knowledge or expertise. Why oh why? The poor guy ends up not knowing whether he's coming or going because some idiot (or group of idiots) can keep their metaphorical mouths shut.

I'm sure there is an IT guy out there who really does know what he (or she) is talking about and I'd respectfully ask him or her to give the definitive answer. In the meantime, here's some input in an area in which I do have knowledge and experience so perhaps the real expert lurking out there can fill in the gaps.

First, the software load itself (i.e. the CD or DVD) is dumb. There is no relationship between that piece of media and the activation code (if any) printed on the back. Think about it; these things are stamped in their thousands, for a few cents each. Customized they are not. So, for the person asking the original question, if he/she is sure the tech loaded XP from a good source (an original MS disk), he/she does not need to reload it. Indeed, as far as I can see much of the "advice" dished out here could well end up with our novice having two o/s images on his machine which will confuse him even more. If he (sorry if it is she) is not sure of the source then a reload will be a good idea, because many of the copy versions out there are corrupt or have virus's.

I have no idea how MS verifies your copy of their o/s. There are a few ways to do it. I'm sure our expert can tell us. It might just be from the activation code or it might be from that code plus the board ID. If it is the board ID, I'm certain a call to MS will, as one poster indicated, result in the issue of a new activation code. It is in their interest to do that, for obvious reasons.

I have reloaded XP so many times I have lost count, from various disks I have laying around (I'm terrible at tracking and filing my original software). I have NEVER had a problem, even when I changed a motherboard. Yes, I always register. No, I don't run WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) because I don't need to. I don't want to either, but that is a different discussion.

I'll return to my general comment. This is a great forum with huge potential for information exchange and helping people out. Lot's of good information and very informative help from people who obviously have a decent idea of what they're talking about. I reckon if you want to be funny or whatever, that's fine and usually obvious, and have at it. But if you want to present a serious answer and it's just an opinion, please lead in with something to the effect of "It's 11pm and I'm bored and half p*ssed. I have no idea what I'm talking about but the bloke down the pub mentioned this very subject, just after the sixth pint, as I blurringly recall, so here is my expert opinion" At least we'll all know we can move on to the next post.

I have reloaded XP so many times I have lost count, from various disks I have laying around (I'm terrible at tracking and filing my original software). I have NEVER had a problem, even when I changed a motherboard. Yes, I always register. No, I don't run WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) because I don't need to. I don't want to either, but that is a different discussion.

Read article #11

This being the case, if the OP reformats in order to erase the OS which has been installed by the Thai company, but fails to obtain an activation code from Microsoft for his own legal copy, then regardless of your particular experiences, he's left with a very large paperweight. His only choice then will be to go back to the Thai entity and have them reinstall their copy of the OS (they'll be more than happy to do so to earn a few hundred extra Baht), or buy a new PC.

By the way, every Windows installation CD is the same. So it doesn't matter which one you use. But then you would know that if you knew anything about installing operating systems. ;)

Edited by Xircal

Read article #11

This being the case, if the OP reformats in order to erase the OS which has been installed by the Thai company, but fails to obtain an activation code from Microsoft for his own legal copy, then regardless of your particular experiences, he's left with a very large paperweight. His only choice then will be to go back to the Thai entity and have them reinstall their copy of the OS (they'll be more than happy to do so to earn a few hundred extra Baht), or buy a new PC.

By the way, every Windows installation CD is the same. So it doesn't matter which one you use. But then you would know that if you knew anything about installing operating systems. ;)

Er, well, yes I know all CD's are the same, I said they're all the same, if you read my post properly, you'd realize that.

Since you are clearly one of the experts to whom I was referring, perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain to us all how the Thai entity will make their version of the o/s work. As soon as you go to microsoft for an upgrade ms will identify that a crack has been used or whatever the Thai entity does to work around licensing and you're knackered - or perhaps you're not, because unless things have changed they "forgive" already working software, but won't upgrade it.

Perhaps you'll also enlighten us as to how you know that ms will not reasonably offer another activation code? After all, it is in their interest to do so and in the event that they "see" the old board with the original key they can refuse support. The OP doesn't say whether he still has the key (it might be on his hardware somewhere) but even if he does not, ms obviously has his email so can reference he is genuine.

Look, I don't know any more than you do whether or not ms will or will not support the home version on a different board. I can tell you that my experience is that they will, because I've done it. They won't support XP Pro that he/she has installed at present if they know it is not a kosher copy. And none of us know that until the OP tries to upgrade. Might as well, nothing to lose, after all they're not going to send someone round to tell him he's a naughty boy now, are they? If they don't, make a cuppa and load the kosher version, then go through the upgrade pain to SP3 already outlined.

Hey, and read the post before typing, that way you won't look like you're not an expert, when you probably are.

Er, well, yes I know all CD's are the same, I said they're all the same, if you read my post properly, you'd realize that.

Since you are clearly one of the experts to whom I was referring, perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain to us all how the Thai entity will make their version of the o/s work. As soon as you go to microsoft for an upgrade ms will identify that a crack has been used or whatever the Thai entity does to work around licensing and you're knackered - or perhaps you're not, because unless things have changed they "forgive" already working software, but won't upgrade it.

Perhaps you'll also enlighten us as to how you know that ms will not reasonably offer another activation code? After all, it is in their interest to do so and in the event that they "see" the old board with the original key they can refuse support. The OP doesn't say whether he still has the key (it might be on his hardware somewhere) but even if he does not, ms obviously has his email so can reference he is genuine.

Look, I don't know any more than you do whether or not ms will or will not support the home version on a different board. I can tell you that my experience is that they will, because I've done it. They won't support XP Pro that he/she has installed at present if they know it is not a kosher copy. And none of us know that until the OP tries to upgrade. Might as well, nothing to lose, after all they're not going to send someone round to tell him he's a naughty boy now, are they? If they don't, make a cuppa and load the kosher version, then go through the upgrade pain to SP3 already outlined.

Hey, and read the post before typing, that way you won't look like you're not an expert, when you probably are.

So far there's nothing to indicate that the OS which has been installed by the Thai company is not genuine. They may well have a volume licence which will enable them to perform that action. If it is genuine, then it's most likely been activated as well.

In any event, the OP can still download security updates whether the copy is genuine or not. Microsoft already announced back in 2006 that it will not block pirated copies from installing security patches. However, he does still need SP3 to be installed in order to download them automatically.

As for WGA, that's merely a tool to verify whether the OS is genuine or not. If installed and the copy turns out to be a crack, the user will be plagued by nag screens from that point forward. But it won't prevent the OS from functioning properly.

As for your question about an activation code, Microsoft is very keen these days to get us all to switch to Windows 7. So like me, the OP is already out of favour by not upgrading to Windows Vista. So they definitely don't want to have yet another user carry on using an OS which they consider 'over the hill' so to speak.

This is primarily why I think he should stick with the media which the Thai entity has installed. It presumably works and there's nothing to prevent him from downloading security patches. It's a bit of hassle uninstalling all the junk that came with the installation, but better than being stuck in no man's land if Microsoft refers him to their licensing code of practice with regard to a new motherboard and refuses to provide him with an activation code.

But that's just my opinion and others my differ. That's their privilige. ;)

Isn't is better that the OP call MS and ask.... ?! You guys can spend your entire youth discussing whether MS will or will not do whatever...

To me it is really clear, the software on the computer cannot be trusted and should be erased, after backup of any files worth worrying about.

Go thorough the procedures with MS or just get a GNU/Linux CD and install... all problems gone...

Martin

Isn't is better that the OP call MS and ask.... ?! You guys can spend your entire youth discussing whether MS will or will not do whatever...

To me it is really clear, the software on the computer cannot be trusted and should be erased, after backup of any files worth worrying about.

Go thorough the procedures with MS or just get a GNU/Linux CD and install... all problems gone...

Martin

Like I mentioned already, it doesn't matter whether it's a crack or not. The OP can still download security patches until support expires in 2014. And since it wasn't him that installed the OS, he's in the clear if it turns out to be a home baked variety.

By the way, this thread is not about whether the version which has been installed is genuine or not, but whether the OP can reformat and reinstall his legal copy of Win XP which was valid until the motherboard was changed. I think you missed that bit somewhere along the line. ;)

Edited by Xircal

Martin

Like I mentioned already, it doesn't matter whether it's a crack or not. The OP can still download security patches until support expires in 2014. And since it wasn't him that installed the OS, he's in the clear if it turns out to be a home baked variety.

By the way, this thread is not about whether the version which has been installed is genuine or not, but whether the OP can reformat and reinstall his legal copy of Win XP which was valid until the motherboard was changed. I think you missed that bit somewhere along the line. ;)

Ok so you think it is ok for him to keep the home baked variety because "he can still download security patches until support expires in 2014" Bingo!.

Then we know your level... thanks for that... I hope you are not working with these things professionally.... Talk about missing some bits along the line....

Martin