How To Reinstall Windows Xp

CM4Me

Ok so you think it is ok for him to keep the home baked variety because "he can still download security patches until support expires in 2014" Bingo!.

Then we know your level... thanks for that... I hope you are not working with these things professionally.... Talk about missing some bits along the line....

Martin

Oh dear....I wish people would read stuff before they resort to bearing arms..

At this particular moment in time, we do not know if the copy which has been installed is genuine or not. If the OP really wants to know, all he needs to do is to go the Windows Update site and install WGA.

In any event, I doubt very much if switching to Linux is a viable option in this particular case given the level of the OP's knowledge as he points out himself.

I have reloaded XP so many times I have lost count, from various disks I have laying around (I'm terrible at tracking and filing my original software). I have NEVER had a problem, even when I changed a motherboard. Yes, I always register. No, I don't run WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) because I don't need to. I don't want to either, but that is a different discussion.

Read article #11

This being the case, if the OP reformats in order to erase the OS which has been installed by the Thai company, but fails to obtain an activation code from Microsoft for his own legal copy, then regardless of your particular experiences, he's left with a very large paperweight. His only choice then will be to go back to the Thai entity and have them reinstall their copy of the OS (they'll be more than happy to do so to earn a few hundred extra Baht), or buy a new PC.

By the way, every Windows installation CD is the same. So it doesn't matter which one you use. But then you would know that if you knew anything about installing operating systems. ;)

Wrong.

I have reloaded XP so many times I have lost count, from various disks I have laying around (I'm terrible at tracking and filing my original software). I have NEVER had a problem, even when I changed a motherboard. Yes, I always register. No, I don't run WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) because I don't need to. I don't want to either, but that is a different discussion.

Read article #11

This being the case, if the OP reformats in order to erase the OS which has been installed by the Thai company, but fails to obtain an activation code from Microsoft for his own legal copy, then regardless of your particular experiences, he's left with a very large paperweight. His only choice then will be to go back to the Thai entity and have them reinstall their copy of the OS (they'll be more than happy to do so to earn a few hundred extra Baht), or buy a new PC.

By the way, every Windows installation CD is the same. So it doesn't matter which one you use. But then you would know that if you knew anything about installing operating systems. ;)

Er, well, yes I know all CD's are the same, I said they're all the same, if you read my post properly, you'd realize that.

Since you are clearly one of the experts to whom I was referring, perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain to us all how the Thai entity will make their version of the o/s work. As soon as you go to microsoft for an upgrade ms will identify that a crack has been used or whatever the Thai entity does to work around licensing and you're knackered - or perhaps you're not, because unless things have changed they "forgive" already working software, but won't upgrade it.

Perhaps you'll also enlighten us as to how you know that ms will not reasonably offer another activation code? After all, it is in their interest to do so and in the event that they "see" the old board with the original key they can refuse support. The OP doesn't say whether he still has the key (it might be on his hardware somewhere) but even if he does not, ms obviously has his email so can reference he is genuine.

Look, I don't know any more than you do whether or not ms will or will not support the home version on a different board. I can tell you that my experience is that they will, because I've done it. They won't support XP Pro that he/she has installed at present if they know it is not a kosher copy. And none of us know that until the OP tries to upgrade. Might as well, nothing to lose, after all they're not going to send someone round to tell him he's a naughty boy now, are they? If they don't, make a cuppa and load the kosher version, then go through the upgrade pain to SP3 already outlined.

Hey, and read the post before typing, that way you won't look like you're not an expert, when you probably are.

It's quite ironic that you leap on to the thread loudly proclaiming your ignorance on the subject whilst berating others for their ignorance on the subject. :rolleyes:

Xircal's supposition that the Thai technician has a legitimate VLK that he can share with his customers is just ludicrous. It is more likely that he is using a stolen one which hasn't yet been blacklisted. Chances that are it won't be at this stage. But if it does... VLK are for corporations, businesses, schools.. not for PC techs. The legitimate are more likely to use OEM licences. The system builder would be liable for support in this case. OEM licences are not free. Stolen VLKs are used in the XP discs sold ubiquitously in Thailand. They can easily modify these discs. Which is why you can find so many customised versions of XP around.

Both of you asserting that all Windows XP discs are the same is equally ridiculous. If that were the case you would be able to activate a retail verson of XP with a VLK. You can't unless you modify the PID value.

So rather than having to ramble on with this thread... if I write that I can help the OP with his reinstallation(which is what he asked), it means that I can.

Notwithstanding, if he is happy with the way it is now....we have a happy ending.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Er, well, yes I know all CD's are the same, I said they're all the same, if you read my post properly, you'd realize that.

Since you are clearly one of the experts to whom I was referring, perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain to us all how the Thai entity will make their version of the o/s work. As soon as you go to microsoft for an upgrade ms will identify that a crack has been used or whatever the Thai entity does to work around licensing and you're knackered - or perhaps you're not, because unless things have changed they "forgive" already working software, but won't upgrade it.

Perhaps you'll also enlighten us as to how you know that ms will not reasonably offer another activation code? After all, it is in their interest to do so and in the event that they "see" the old board with the original key they can refuse support. The OP doesn't say whether he still has the key (it might be on his hardware somewhere) but even if he does not, ms obviously has his email so can reference he is genuine.

Look, I don't know any more than you do whether or not ms will or will not support the home version on a different board. I can tell you that my experience is that they will, because I've done it. They won't support XP Pro that he/she has installed at present if they know it is not a kosher copy. And none of us know that until the OP tries to upgrade. Might as well, nothing to lose, after all they're not going to send someone round to tell him he's a naughty boy now, are they? If they don't, make a cuppa and load the kosher version, then go through the upgrade pain to SP3 already outlined.

Hey, and read the post before typing, that way you won't look like you're not an expert, when you probably are.

So far there's nothing to indicate that the OS which has been installed by the Thai company is not genuine. They may well have a volume licence which will enable them to perform that action. If it is genuine, then it's most likely been activated as well.

In any event, the OP can still download security updates whether the copy is genuine or not. Microsoft already announced back in 2006 that it will not block pirated copies from installing security patches. However, he does still need SP3 to be installed in order to download them automatically.

As for WGA, that's merely a tool to verify whether the OS is genuine or not. If installed and the copy turns out to be a crack, the user will be plagued by nag screens from that point forward. But it won't prevent the OS from functioning properly.

As for your question about an activation code, Microsoft is very keen these days to get us all to switch to Windows 7. So like me, the OP is already out of favour by not upgrading to Windows Vista. So they definitely don't want to have yet another user carry on using an OS which they consider 'over the hill' so to speak.

This is primarily why I think he should stick with the media which the Thai entity has installed. It presumably works and there's nothing to prevent him from downloading security patches. It's a bit of hassle uninstalling all the junk that came with the installation, but better than being stuck in no man's land if Microsoft refers him to their licensing code of practice with regard to a new motherboard and refuses to provide him with an activation code.

But that's just my opinion and others my differ. That's their privilige. ;)

That's what I'm talking about! Excellent summary Xircal, I'm certain that will help the OP immensely. Agree on windows 7..........I'm not touching it for some time yet.

Both of you asserting that all Windows XP discs are the same is equally ridiculous. If that were the case you would be able to activate a retail verson of XP with a VLK. You can't unless the modify the PID value.

The basic installation media is the same on all versions of OEM discs which is what the OP has installed. I thought that particular fact had been established some time ago. If he had a retail version, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Both of you asserting that all Windows XP discs are the same is equally ridiculous. If that were the case you would be able to activate a retail verson of XP with a VLK. You can't unless the modify the PID value.

The basic installation media is the same on all versions of OEM discs which is what the OP has installed. I thought that particular fact had been established some time ago. If he had a retail version, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Jiu-Jitsu you are right but you are being a little pedantic. Remember the audience; they wouldn't ask the question in the first place if they had the faintest idea what a PID was. Clearly there are related identifiers (between the disk and the activation code) to prevent various versions from being used outside of their intended target market. But the fact remains that every disk of a certain type (student edition, for example) is the same. Xircal is right; we don't know what the tech used and until it's tested as suggested we won't know.

Wrong. A Volume Licence disc is different from an OEM disc, which is different from a Retail disc. The OP does not have an OEM disc installed.

For that he would need a licence and activation. VL discs do not need to be activated.

Best to wind your neck in, as bluffing will not work with me. If you don't know, just admit that you don't know.

Jiu-Jitsu you are right but you are being a little pedantic. Remember the audience; they wouldn't ask the question in the first place if they had the faintest idea what a PID was. Clearly there are related identifiers (between the disk and the activation code) to prevent various versions from being used outside of their intended target market. But the fact remains that every disk of a certain type (student edition, for example) is the same. Xircal is right; we don't know what the tech used and until it's tested as suggested we won't know.

Please don't try to bluff your way out of your statement. You jumped in, brashly suggesting that we didn't know anything about the subject and were posting whilst drunk. You have been hoisted by your own petard.

The differences are clearly important and to suggest otherwise is not only irresponsible but clearly illustrates your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Perhaps it was unwise for you to appear to post whilst being drunk.

As to the disc being used, it is almost certainly a VL disc with a VLK. Anything else would incur a cost which would be passed o to the OP.

If you don't know, don't try to bluff it out and further confuse anyone else who may wish to gain knowledge from this thread.

Just ironic that you are doing the very thing that you claimed others were doing in your very first post. Funny. Not.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Wrong. A Volume Licence disc is different from an OEM disc, which is different from a Retail disc. The OP does not have an OEM disc installed.

For that he would need a licence and activation. VL discs do not need to be activated.

Best to wind your neck in, as bluffing will not work with me. If you don't know, just admit that you don't know.

See my earlier response. I knew that and I'm certain Xircal did too. I guess that by ignoring my reply you were able to get a hard on by telling everyone how clever you are. Congratulations. Now help the OP yourself, since you know everything.

See my earlier response. I knew that and I'm certain Xircal did too. I guess that by ignoring my reply you were able to get a hard on by telling everyone how clever you are. Congratulations. Now help the OP yourself, since you know everything.

Your post is full of bluff and bluster. You admit to not knowing what kind of disc is installed on the OP's PC. That shows that you don't know enough about the subject to understand there is only one likely choice.

Now you are riding in on my coattails with cries of "I knew that". Please....desist. It's embarrassing.

I'm quite happy to help the OP myself. It's not as if you have contributed anything, other than hot air.

Writing about activation codes when there is no 'activating' to be done.

A bit more humility would have stood you in good stead.

Wrong.

What is?

Your assertion that every Windows installation CD is the same.

In terms of an OEM version, it is.

Respectfully, I think you should read this thread again from the beginning because your comments are out of sync with the subject at hand.

As I see it, you want to help the OP install what will be an illegal copy of XP. It was only legal when it was installed on the machine prior to the motherboard being replaced. Once that component has been replaced with another one which is not a clone of the original, a new licence is necessary. This is clearly stated in the document I linked to.

So in that respect, you are being of no help at all and your only contribution is to spread confusion.

Why would you register, giving out my name and email address to MS seems stupid.

Anywho I do agree though (and have done it hundreds of times) re-install with the clean xp disc and then choose to register via phone, explain to the operator you shat a MoBo and need a new activation code, they will give you one.

Please don't try to bluff your way out of your statement. You jumped in, brashly suggesting that we didn't know anything about the subject and were posting whilst drunk. You have been hoisted by your own petard.

The differences are clearly important and to suggest otherwise is not only irresponsible but clearly illustrates your lack of knowledge on the subject.

As to the disc being used, it is almost certainly a VL disc with a VLK. Anything else would incur a cost which would be passed o to the OP.

If you don't know, don't try to bluff it out and further confuse anyone else who may wish to gain knowledge from this thread.

Just ironic that you are doing the very thing that you claimed others were doing in your very first post. Funny. Not.

OK, last one for you, you cantankerous old berk. First, you have categorized yourself as a drunken poster, not me. If the cap fits.......... Second, it was lunchtime where I am when I posted, and unlike many of the group you include yourself in, I don't drink before the sun goes down. Terribly bad form, don't you know. Third, you don't know any more than anyone other than the tech which disk was used, so you're talking through your a*se. Fourth, I didn't bluff anybody; I did not claim to be an expert, indeed I said I wasn't. Finally, you are clearly the expert, you must be, you say so yourself. So you help the OP and stop getting on my case. I was trying to help, you're just trying to show us all how clever you are. O.K. you're clever. I'm convinced. Now go away and play with yourself.

Wrong.

What is?

Your assertion that every Windows installation CD is the same.

In terms of an OEM version, it is.

Respectfully, I think you should read this thread again from the beginning because your comments are out of sync with the subject at hand.

As I see it, you want to help the OP install what will be an illegal copy of XP. It was only legal when it was installed on the machine prior to the motherboard being replaced. Once that component has been replaced with another one which is not a clone of the original, a new licence is necessary. This is clearly stated in the document I linked to.

So in that respect, you are being of no help at all and your only contribution is to spread confusion.

Please stop. You really don't understand the subject and you are trying to move the goalposts rather than actually hit the mark.

Not all OEMs are the same either. In addition, the OP does not have a OEM licence installed to his PC. His original OEM installation has been removed and replaced by an inappropriate VL, not OEM.

So your continued insistence that all XP discs being the same(now changed to all OEM discs being the same) is not only irrelevant but just wrong.

As to your ridiculous conjecture about illegality....it's only because you do not understand the system and I'm not about to explain it to you.

Educate yourself instead of engaing in pointless argument. You know that your knowledge on the subject is limited, yet you insist on making pronouncements.

The fact is that the confusion is created by the people who simply do not understand the subject. That includes yourself.

There are different discs and different licences. They are NOT the same. Try to cover up the gaping holes in your knowledge only serves to add to any possible confusion.

If you want to believe all the discs are the same, that is up to you. But don't spread your ignorance to others.

OK, last one for you, you cantankerous old berk. First, you have categorized yourself as a drunken poster, not me. If the cap fits.......... Second, it was lunchtime where I am when I posted, and unlike many of the group you include yourself in, I don't drink before the sun goes down. Terribly bad form, don't you know. Third, you don't know any more than anyone other than the tech which disk was used, so you're talking through your a*se. Fourth, I didn't bluff anybody; I did not claim to be an expert, indeed I said I wasn't. Finally, you are clearly the expert, you must be, you say so yourself. So you help the OP and stop getting on my case. I was trying to help, you're just trying to show us all how clever you are. O.K. you're clever. I'm convinced. Now go away and play with yourself.

Allow me to reprint your original post in which you claim that you tried to "help".

Here we go again. Some poor guy asks a perfectly reasonable question and gets flooded with answers from people who must be so bored they just cannot resist answering questions on subjects of which they clearly have zero knowledge or expertise. Why oh why? The poor guy ends up not knowing whether he's coming or going because some idiot (or group of idiots) can keep their metaphorical mouths shut.

I'm sure there is an IT guy out there who really does know what he (or she) is talking about and I'd respectfully ask him or her to give the definitive answer. In the meantime, here's some input in an area in which I do have knowledge and experience so perhaps the real expert lurking out there can fill in the gaps.

First, the software load itself (i.e. the CD or DVD) is dumb. There is no relationship between that piece of media and the activation code (if any) printed on the back. Think about it; these things are stamped in their thousands, for a few cents each. Customized they are not. So, for the person asking the original question, if he/she is sure the tech loaded XP from a good source (an original MS disk), he/she does not need to reload it. Indeed, as far as I can see much of the "advice" dished out here could well end up with our novice having two o/s images on his machine which will confuse him even more. If he (sorry if it is she) is not sure of the source then a reload will be a good idea, because many of the copy versions out there are corrupt or have virus's.

I have no idea how MS verifies your copy of their o/s. There are a few ways to do it. I'm sure our expert can tell us. It might just be from the activation code or it might be from that code plus the board ID. If it is the board ID, I'm certain a call to MS will, as one poster indicated, result in the issue of a new activation code. It is in their interest to do that, for obvious reasons.

I'll return to my general comment. This is a great forum with huge potential for information exchange and helping people out. Lot's of good information and very informative help from people who obviously have a decent idea of what they're talking about. I reckon if you want to be funny or whatever, that's fine and usually obvious, and have at it. But if you want to present a serious answer and it's just an opinion, please lead in with something to the effect of "It's 11pm and I'm bored and half p*ssed. I have no idea what I'm talking about but the bloke down the pub mentioned this very subject, just after the sixth pint, as I blurringly recall, so here is my expert opinion" At least we'll all know we can move on to the next post.

The truth is that you are just a TROLL(In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off -topic messages in an online community). You knew nothing about the subject and just posted to vent your spleen. Now you have made your inflammatory posts, you will disappear, back from whence you came.

Whereas at least, although differing in opinion, there are genuine attempts to help the OP. More than can be said for your pointless posts.

Indeed I know a fair amount about the subject and proffed my help without condition. I'm not sure why you posted at all.

Goodbye then. :)

Several posts removed.I can't believe the flaming that goes on in a computer thread. Please keep it civil, if you don't agree with a post or a poster, use the REPORT function.

Thank you.

Fell asleep at the wheel last night so to speak and went to bed. So please forgive my lack of input. So back to business.

Jiu-Jitsu,

Why is it I get the impression that what we're really dealing with here is your over inflated ego rather than any real attempt to help the OP with his problem? One of the comments on your profile would certainly seem to indicate that that is a fact.

So let's deal with some basics here. First and foremost, there are certain facts in the opening post which have to be considered. So for your particular benefit, here they are again:

Seldom do I venture outside the above comfort zones, so, when my computer was returned in a somewhat different configuration to what I was previously comfortable with, I needed help. Therefore I find all the comments / suggestions etc posted here most enlightening.

Recently my motherboard died. So I called & paid a Thai Tech to make repairs. As it is 5 years old, I was aked what I wanted, a repair or an upgrade. I chose to upgrade, & yes my machine is working faster].

Originally I had an original registered copy of XP Home on my PC, & I received regular update notifications from Microsoft. Unfortunately, the technician has now installed a copied XP Pro, along with some other programs that I'm not sure what they do. In addition IE is so old it must be the original version.

I still have the original XP Home CD, which I would like to reinstall.

Important point #1. The machine is five years old.

Companies do not keep hold parts indefinitely, even generic ones. So the motherboard which has been replaced will definitely not be a clone of the original. That being the case, the OP needs a new licence if he wants to continue using his own copy of Windows XP Home. Will he get one from Microsoft? I sincerely doubt it since the operating system has been withdrawn from the market for all but notebooks. Please read article #11 in this Microsoft document, because I get the distinct impression that you're ignoring it for some reason known only to you.

Important point #2. The machine is working faster than it was before.

You want to jeopardise that by reinstalling Windows XP Home for which the OP is unlikely to obtain a licence. If it was legal to do so, then the Thai technician could have reinstalled Windows XP Home for him using his own disc.

I'm not all that adventurous (in regards to computing) & therefore my comfort zone has limited me somewhat to

* Word processing

* E Mailing

* Photo Albums

* Music Library

Once again, some important facts here to consider. By his own admission, the OP is a novice user. He knows how to use a number of applications, but knows nought about installing an operating system. You know as well as I do that Murphy's Law often rears it's ugly head when you install an OS. There's absolutely no guarantee that the operation will run smoothly. So what's he going to do when he gets a pretty blue screen? Phone you?

You have to take these factors into account when giving people advice on a forum.

Since he now has a machine which is working a lot better than his original installation, I personally think he's a lot better off using the one he's got. He can still install security patches, download IE8 etc., etc.

I rest my case.

post-101376-072299200 1286347168_thumb.p

Fell asleep at the wheel last night so to speak and went to bed. So please forgive my lack of input. So back to business.

Jiu-Jitsu,

Why is it I get the impression that what we're really dealing with here is your over inflated ego rather than any real attempt to help the OP with his problem? One of the comments on your profile would certainly seem to indicate that that is a fact.

So let's deal with some basics here. First and foremost, there are certain facts in the opening post which have to be considered. So for your particular benefit, here they are again:

Seldom do I venture outside the above comfort zones, so, when my computer was returned in a somewhat different configuration to what I was previously comfortable with, I needed help. Therefore I find all the comments / suggestions etc posted here most enlightening.

Recently my motherboard died. So I called & paid a Thai Tech to make repairs. As it is 5 years old, I was aked what I wanted, a repair or an upgrade. I chose to upgrade, & yes my machine is working faster].

Originally I had an original registered copy of XP Home on my PC, & I received regular update notifications from Microsoft. Unfortunately, the technician has now installed a copied XP Pro, along with some other programs that I'm not sure what they do. In addition IE is so old it must be the original version.

I still have the original XP Home CD, which I would like to reinstall.

Important point #1. The machine is five years old.

Companies do not keep hold parts indefinitely, even generic ones. So the motherboard which has been replaced will definitely not be a clone of the original. That being the case, the OP needs a new licence if he wants to continue using his own copy of Windows XP Home. Will he get one from Microsoft? I sincerely doubt it since the operating system has been withdrawn from the market for all but notebooks. Please read article #11 in this Microsoft document, because I get the distinct impression that you're ignoring it for some reason known only to you.

Important point #2. The machine is working faster than it was before.

You want to jeopardise that by reinstalling Windows XP Home for which the OP is unlikely to obtain a licence. If it was legal to do so, then the Thai technician could have reinstalled Windows XP Home for him using his own disc.

I'm not all that adventurous (in regards to computing) & therefore my comfort zone has limited me somewhat to

* Word processing

* E Mailing

* Photo Albums

* Music Library

Once again, some important facts here to consider. By his own admission, the OP is a novice user. He knows how to use a number of applications, but knows nought about installing an operating system. You know as well as I do that Murphy's Law often rears it's ugly head when you install an OS. There's absolutely no guarantee that the operation will run smoothly. So what's he going to do when he gets a pretty blue screen? Phone you?

You have to take these factors into account when giving people advice on a forum.

Since he now has a machine which is working a lot better than his original installation, I personally think he's a lot better off using the one he's got. He can still install security patches, download IE8 etc., etc.

I rest my case.

Dear Xircal

All of your argument are based on your limited and erroneous knowledge. Much like those who believed the world was flat and based all of their arguments on this false premise.

Fisrt of all I have never entered any information of my profile, so any information is there by default. You must really revel in being wrong as you seem to have spent much of your time in doing so.

Secondly, your erroneous suppostions are based on your ignorance of the subject. What you are actually writing iis that ; based on your non-existent knowledge of the subject, you presuppose the outcome by making this statement.

jeopardise(the OP's incorrect use of a Volume Licence) that by reinstalling Windows XP Home for which the OP is unlikely to obtain a licence.
. This is just BS. You just don't have the knowledge, nor the tools, nor the skills to restore the original licence. Neither it is likely, did the 'Thai Technician. Even if he did, he chose Microsoft's least favourite option. To use a 'borrowed' VLK.

So, please don't spout on disingenuously about illegal licensing whilst encouraging the OP to use a stolen key.

Your knowledge is limited. Just leave it at that...unless you choose to increase your knowledge.

I have walked people through the procedure many times. Give it a rest. You are using only your layman's knowledge.

Dear Xircal

All of your argument are based on your limited and erroneous knowledge. Much like those who believed the world was flat and based all of their arguments on this false premise.

Fisrt of all I have never entered any information of my profile, so any information is there by default. You must really revel in being wrong as you seem to have spent much of your time in doing so.

Secondly, your erroneous suppostions are based on your ignorance of the subject. What you are actually writing iis that ; based on your non-existent knowledge of the subject, you presuppose the outcome by making this statement.

jeopardise(the OP's incorrect use of a Volume Licence) that by reinstalling Windows XP Home for which the OP is unlikely to obtain a licence.
. This is just BS. You just don't have the knowledge, nor the tools, nor the skills to restore the original licence. Neither it is likely, did the 'Thai Technician. Even if he did, he chose Microsoft's least favourite option. To use a 'borrowed' VLK.

So, please don't spout on disingenuously about illegal licensing whilst encouraging the OP to use a stolen key.

Your knowledge is limited. Just leave it at that...unless you choose to increase your knowledge.

I have walked people through the procedure many times. Give it a rest. You are using only your layman's knowledge.

Careful jiu-jitsu, you'll give yourself apoplexy. As regards your profile, I was referring to the comment made by Aikido on 2010-07-13.

But I'll leave it to others to judge whether you're of sound mind or not and whether they wish to avail themselves of your, cough...splutter, 'expertise'. ;)

Dear Xircal

Careful jiu-jitsu, you'll give yourself apoplexy. As regards your profile, I was referring to the comment made by Aikido on 2010-07-13.

But I'll leave it to others to judge whether you're of sound mind or not and whether they wish to avail themselves of your, cough...splutter, 'expertise'. ;)

Oh dear...now you have lost the technical argument, you lower yourself even further with thinly veiled insults.

I'm of sound enough mind to realise that you are acting like a child with hurt feelings.

Are you already too old to admit that there is more for you to learn?

It's astounding to me that you would so blatantly display your ignorance by announcing that all the XP discs were the same and also advising the OP to stick with a stolen VL.

Instead of using the opportunity to increase your knowledge, you chose the path of being obtuse and remaining ignorant.

Hundreds of people every day avail themselves of my expertise.

I'll help out here if I happen to be passing by and I happen to see some careless advice being given.

Don't take it personally. Continue to be helpful. Though maybe you should stick to the subjects that you actually understand. Rather than imitating the blind leading the blind.

Have a nice day. :)