Non-Imm Multi O-A Retirement Visa

This question is just to clarify my understanding of the relationship between a Non-im Multi O-A Retirment Visa and a re-entry permit. (By the way, I am a U.S. citizen and over 50). I looked in the pinned information section and was pretty sure the following was true.

If I understand it correctly, during the 12-month validity of the non-imm multi O-A retirement visa, I don't need a re-entry permit to leave and return to Thailand as long as I return during the initial 12-months when the visa is valid.

Once the initial 12-month visa expires and I get a 12-month extension, I then need a re-entry permit (single or multiple entry) each time I leave the country to keep the extension valid.

Is that a correct understanding? Hopefully the question isn't to redundant.

David

Your question is well-written, and there are no unnecessary redundancies. Your understanding of the Long-stay non-immigrant O-A with multiple entries is correct with one happy exception. Each time you re-enter Thailand during the year following the issuance of the visa, you will receive a stamp in your passport that states “admitted until.” That date will be for a period of one year. Therefore, you might hypothetically get almost two years of usage out of the original visa before the visa would need to be extended.

For example, your visa is issued on 2 November 2010. The visa will say “enter before 1 November 2011. Should you travel outside the country and re-enter Thailand on 31 October 2011, the “admitted until” stamp will say 30 October 2012. Your visa will not need to be extended until that time. Make sure you allow adequate time for the extension process. However, as you stated, in order to maintain your ability to leave and return multiple times prior to 30 October 2012, you must obtain the multiple-entry, re-entry permit from immigration--failure to obtain the re-entry permit will result in the cancellation of your visa should you leave Thailand during that time period. Fortunately, if you reside in Bangkok, the new immigration office just off Chaeng Wattana is very user-friendly, fast and efficient. It took me less than 30 minutes to obtain the re-entry permit this past June.

Your question is well-written, and there are no unnecessary redundancies. Your understanding of the Long-stay non-immigrant O-A with multiple entries is correct with one happy exception. Each time you re-enter Thailand during the year following the issuance of the visa, you will receive a stamp in your passport that states "admitted until." That date will be for a period of one year. Therefore, you might hypothetically get almost two years of usage out of the original visa before the visa would need to be extended.

For example, your visa is issued on 2 November 2010. The visa will say "enter before 1 November 2011. Should you travel outside the country and re-enter Thailand on 31 October 2011, the "admitted until" stamp will say 30 October 2012. Your visa will not need to be extended until that time. Make sure you allow adequate time for the extension process. However, as you stated, in order to maintain your ability to leave and return multiple times prior to 30 October 2012, you must obtain the multiple-entry, re-entry permit from immigration--failure to obtain the re-entry permit will result in the cancellation of your visa should you leave Thailand during that time period. Fortunately, if you reside in Bangkok, the new immigration office just off Chaeng Wattana is very user-friendly, fast and efficient. It took me less than 30 minutes to obtain the re-entry permit this past June.

Have the laws regarding re-entry changed?

Last year I left Thailand using a re-entry permit on my 12 month Retirement Visa (which expired 26th Feb 2010) and when I returned, my re-entry stamp said "Admitted until"... and they put the date my Retirement Visa expired (26th Feb 2010).... NOT the 12 month extension (2nd April 2010) on the date that I entered (2nd April 2009).

Did the official make a mistake or have I misunderstood something?

Nothing has changed.

If you use a re-entry permit it will provide the same stay until date that you had when you obtained that permit. If you have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa that is valid you do not want to use a re-entry permit. That is used only when you do not have a valid visa for entry (single entry that has been used) or on an extension of stay (which ends on departure).

Your question is well-written, and there are no unnecessary redundancies. Your understanding of the Long-stay non-immigrant O-A with multiple entries is correct with one happy exception. Each time you re-enter Thailand during the year following the issuance of the visa, you will receive a stamp in your passport that states "admitted until." That date will be for a period of one year. Therefore, you might hypothetically get almost two years of usage out of the original visa before the visa would need to be extended.

For example, your visa is issued on 2 November 2010. The visa will say "enter before 1 November 2011. Should you travel outside the country and re-enter Thailand on 31 October 2011, the "admitted until" stamp will say 30 October 2012. Your visa will not need to be extended until that time. Make sure you allow adequate time for the extension process. However, as you stated, in order to maintain your ability to leave and return multiple times prior to 30 October 2012, you must obtain the multiple-entry, re-entry permit from immigration--failure to obtain the re-entry permit will result in the cancellation of your visa should you leave Thailand during that time period. Fortunately, if you reside in Bangkok, the new immigration office just off Chaeng Wattana is very user-friendly, fast and efficient. It took me less than 30 minutes to obtain the re-entry permit this past June.

rorr

Thanks for confirming my understanding and for pointing out the part I left out. I will obviously be planning a road trip during the last month before the initial visa expires.

Thanks to the rest of you that commented as well. You can never get enough good input.

David