Smart Mobile Phone - Which Is The Best Phone 4 Me?

fanciman

I have just come back from another window shopping session, and have 2 more possibilities to add to the mix, both of them in the Baht 16,000 range:

1 - Motorolla E680i (PDA looking phone with a touch screen)

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handphones/0,...9090721p,00.htm

2 - Siemens SK65 (candybar phone with a twist-out qwerty keyboard, bluetooth and blackberry!)

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handphones/0,...78922p-2,00.htm

My main requirements are phone, POP3 email, web browser and synch with MS Outlook. Both of these phones appear to satisfy the first 3 items, but I am still researching whether they synch with MS Outlook - I think they might use their own PIM software.

Any comments/experience with these phones, especially the MS outlook query?

Rags

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again the Nokia 6230i, does all of what you want in an easy to use, small package.

Once you install the Nokia software on your PC you can sync all the contacts, calender dates, note etc that you have on outlook.

The 6230i is definitely a good compact phone, but for email messages I felt that the screen size was a little too small. I also feel that a physical or touch-screen qwerty keyboard would be easier for emails than the numeric texting approach. This said, I do not want to get a full-on PDA phone (e.g. HP or O2 xda 2 / mini) because of the size/cost.....

Of course, trying to accommodate all these little preferences is making it a difficult quest!

Rags

I've had the fancy ones with qwertry keyboards etc, I found they're too big and end up getting dropped all the time, my Nokia will sit in my pocket easily. I had the Treo 600, great phone, loads of extras you'll never use though, plus got dropped a fair bit.

Again the Nokia 6230i, does all of what you want in an easy to use, small package.

Once you install the Nokia software on your PC you can sync all the contacts, calender dates, note etc that you have on outlook.

Now I'm confused! And a bit annoyed. :o I went to the "i-Mobile" shop in Phuket's Central Festival store, and asked to see the 6230i. I was just about to buy it, and I mentioned "Bluetooth" and the manager - normally very composed and confident when he describes mobile phones - says "This phone does not have Bluetooth". <deleted>??? So I looked through the manual, at all the papers that came with the phone and no mention of "Bluetooth". I felt a right plonker, said I didn't want it then, and left to check on my facts.

Now I've just looked at the Nokia site again, and again it says "Bluetooth" here.

So, terdsak_12, can you find any reference to "Bluetooth" in your manual/booklet? Or is the Bluetooth wireless technology hidden away in the background and not mentioned, merely the functionality that it provides?

What I don't want is to use another bl00dy USB cable when my PC has Bluetooth!

RDN , maybe you need to have a look through the phone itself - go to settings - connections or communications and look for the bluetooth symbol - I am pretty confident it has it.

and how much do they want for the 6230i?

as for nokias sync program - the version I used that came with my ngage was a shit program , then I went to the nokia site and got the version they had for downlaod (24meg)- you try and uninstall it , you cannot with out re-installing the OS, I tried Nokia_Register_Clean_2.exe but no joy - and it installs mrouter2 ( I think ) , you are much better upgrading to mrouter3 beta which used to be on the intuwave web site for download. a program some people had success with was oxygen phone manager II which you can backup via USB or BT , acn't remember if I got that to work as I went to a program that backs up you messages and contacts to a file on your MMC or via BT - will try and find out where you can get it - little bit of searching required

contacts and stuff backup program for symbian series 60 phones - freeware

http://personal.inet.fi/private/riihimaki/s60/pbktrans.html

Edited by stumonster

If you want good sync with Outlook and a PDA phone is too clunky, some of the 'Windows mobile' based phones are actually quite good. I borrowed an XPhone last year for a while, it was very nice and worked well - only thing was the battery life was pretty crap on that model.

The PC Suite sync software from Nokia is pretty horrid. Unbelievable as it seems, they haven't got syncing sorted out at all.

I reckon smartphones arent ready yet.

Yah I agree. I ditched my 'smartphone' for a 'dumbphone' a while back. The high end dumbphones can actually do most of the important things that smartphones can - but they do it more reliably. I do like Symbian phones but I wish they'd make them smaller (and put bigger screens on them).

RDN , maybe you need to have a look through the phone itself - go to settings - connections or communications and look for the bluetooth symbol - I am pretty confident it has it.

and how much do they want for the 6230i?.....

13,500 baht with a 128 MB memory card. Not sure what else was in the box - looked like the usual headphones, charger, PC Suite CD but NOT (I'm fairly sure) a USB cable - not that I want to sync that way, anyway. 1 year warranty, battery 6 months.

...The PC Suite sync software from Nokia is pretty horrid. Unbelievable as it seems, they haven't got syncing sorted out at all....

Bugger! Anyone use PC Suite and like it?

The 6230i definately has blue tooth as I've got a wireless headset thing that works fine. The Nokia Software  Suite is ok for me, I use it to transfer music, photos back and forth, I use outlook to Sync everything else, far easier.

I encountered a similar problem. I was looking at the Samsung D500 and the Sony Eric 750i at MBK and they said that the blue tooth option is seperate. Either they did not understand what I was saying or they remove the blue tooth chips. I was quite certain both phones had them inbuilt.

the best phone I've found for me is the tiny "O2 Xphone II" a fantastic small smartphone :o (I used to have the "O2 mini" which is great, but found it too big from my taste):

*102 grams in weight

*powered by "MS Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphone 2nd Second" operating system

*tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz

*internal slot for mini SD memory card for expandable memory (I put in 1000 Megabytes for all my MP3 songs, and videos---& then dumped my iPod mini)

*camera

*bluetooth

*MP3 player (replaced my iPod mini which I now just keep on my desk at home connected to speakers for great sounding music)

*DVD player (yup I already installed the ENTIRE "Gladiator" movie to watch on the tiny screen if I am really bored on a train or plane)

*Pocket Outlook (for email, calendar etc.) for syncing with the office and home computer

*Voice activated dialing

*MSN messenger

*Pocket Internet Explorer browser (WAP and normal web browsing)

*ActiveSync

*Voice notes

*Calculator

*Games

*separely installed eWallet (for keeping all account, cc numbers, etc), Listpro, Keeptrack (like MS Money), Pocket TV, Stock Manager (for portfolio), Worldtime with globe interface

The only downside is that I have to input text using T9 predictive or normal phone keypad....no qwerty keyboard or stylus.....but I am now already used to this...

the giant upside is that I have replaced my PDA, my black Moto V3 RAZR cellphone (beautiful & sexy but no brains or functions at all) and my iPod MP3 player with this tiny all-in-one phone :D .

I was playing around w. the O 2 xphone 2 also in the shop and agree that it is a very nice phone. What did you use to get the DVD that small? DVDshrink? I generally had a lot of trouble with various software doing that. Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

I was playing around w. the O 2 xphone 2 also in the shop and agree that it is a very nice phone. What did you use to get the DVD that small? DVDshrink? I generally had a lot of trouble with various software doing that. Cheers!

I used "DVD to Smartphone by Makayama Software" and it works like a charm....bought it on Handango.com....that website has LOTS of software tailored to smartphones....

smartphones (Windows based---not Palm or Symbian based) are my preferred phones...everything else really seem to pale in comparison in terms of functions....for example, the new Nokia 8800 silver gloss with slider is beautiful, as is the new black Moto V3 RAZR, but functions on them both fall short....beautiful faces but no brains :o the O2 xPhone II is both sexy, tiny and functional to the max :D

What did you use to get the DVD that small? DVDshrink?

to resize and re-encode your DVD's I totally recommend fairuse wizard - www.fairusewizard.com - free for making files up to 700meg - encode to Xvid format (mpeg4)

if you are viewing them on a VGA device encode to around 500 meg for 90 mins of movie

to play the movie on a WM2003 or palm OS device this program by picard is the ducks nuts - the core pocket media player - TCPMP - http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about - also free

The 6230i definately has blue tooth as I've got a wireless headset thing that works fine. The Nokia Software  Suite is ok for me, I use it to transfer music, photos back and forth, I use outlook to Sync everything else, far easier.

I encountered a similar problem. I was looking at the Samsung D500 and the Sony Eric 750i at MBK and they said that the blue tooth option is seperate. Either they did not understand what I was saying or they remove the blue tooth chips. I was quite certain both phones had them inbuilt.

Since there seems a bit of interest in the 6230i here are reviews, says bluetooth included:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=1&Id=1482

http://zdnet.com.au/reviews/coolgear/soa/N...39201975,00.htm

Almost certainly what the language barrier was stopping was.. The PC bluetooth dongle (be it a USB or PC card type) was not included in the package.. The K750i comes with all usb cabling but for BT you need the PC side of the BT equation..

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a nokia 6230i from MBK yesterday for 12k baht.

its a nice phone , it has bluetooth included and you can explore the MMC via your BT software on your comp.

I have yet to check out the EDGE capabilities .

the main thing that I don't like is its use of the symbian 40 OS rather than symbian 60 , many exceptional programs I use on my symbian 60 phone I cannot use on this one. I have been doing a bit of searching but have yet to find a file explorer such as Fexplorer , which is a wonderful free program.

I purchased a nokia 6230i from MBK yesterday for 12k baht.

its a nice phone , it has bluetooth included and you can explore the MMC via your BT software on your comp.

I have yet to check out the EDGE capabilities .

the main thing that I don't like is its use of the symbian 40 OS rather than symbian 60 , many exceptional programs I use on my symbian 60 phone I cannot use on this one. I have been doing a bit of searching but have yet to find a file explorer such as Fexplorer , which is a wonderful free program.

symbian 60, FP2, that's why I did just get the Nokia 6630 for 15k baht. EDGE works, it's funny to surf the web with such a small screen.

Even python runs on these phones, allowing to quickly hack a script together, without the time overhead to make a c++ or Java app for the phone.

What I like is that everything reacts fast. There are not these annoying long waiting times after selecting something, which you see with older phones or with windows phones.

thats a nice price for the 6630 yuyi , I bought one for my girlfriend back in january and it was 21k. they are a nice phone ( WCDMA too ) but the memory cards are DVRS-MMC's ( dual voltage reduced size MMC ) which are supposed to be power saving , how much power can you save on flash ram (?) , but are quite expensive.

this 6230i will do the job , nice and small also , but I will be looking at the nokia N70 when it comes out.

thats a nice price for the 6630 yuyi , I bought one for my girlfriend back in january and it was 21k.

well, i asked in about 20 shops and the prices had been between 15999 and 19xxx. Then one shop, almost at closing time, obviously needed some cash, so they offeres it first for 16900, and then, when I did not look impressed, for 14900 :D:D

they are a nice phone ( WCDMA too ) but the memory cards are DVRS-MMC's ( dual voltage reduced size MMC ) which are supposed to be power saving , how much power can you save on flash ram (?) , but are quite expensive.

So far it seems that it does not use too much battery in standby mode.

These DVRS-MMC's have the huge advantage that they can be read in any regular card reader which has a SD / MMC slot. And they can get hot swapped in the phone, no need to switch it off.

So an upload or download of any file - sound, image, application - to the 6630 is easy, just take the card out and plug it in the card reader, and then back again. No need for a cable connection, no need for a bluetooth connection setup. This way your "Fexplorer" was installed in a few seconds. :o

The phone connected with the USB cable,which comes with it, works out of the box as a modem even on my Linux system. AT standard, no driver needed. Now I have a nice backup solution for EDGE surfing :D

well , the GF had been eyeing off the 6230i since I purchased it , the new and shiny factor plus its size - so when she mentioned again today to swap I said ok. now I have the 6630 ( with a 256meg dvrs-mmc I purchased back in march ) and she has the new 6230i. :o

time for a bit of quick research on the web to detirmine how to give it a hard reset , and a bit of shuffling of files between the dvrs-mmc and a 256 mmc for her and it will be apples. :D

Has anyone tried the Nokia 6681? Been looking at some reviews on that and it does look quite nice!

Any comments on how it compares to the 6230i? Best price I've seen on the web for it seems to be about 16.5k - does that sound about right?

Cheers in advance for any replys!

Rik

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Benq P50 smartphone and 1gig SD card yesterday

So far I am very impressed

Just like a Treo 650 but runs Windows Mobile

I like the fact that it has wifi built in - it comes with Skype so I can talk around the house using skype for PPC whilst it connects to my wireless router! No longer have to sit by the PC to talk - very cool!

Benq might not be a big name in phones but this P50 is great!

Cost was 25k at Fortune

i usw a sony ericcson k750

it has everything on it a 2.0 mega pixel camera

memorycard to store music and photos

an fm radio

bluetooth (which i can control my laptop with as a remote control)

the list goes on and on

anyone who has seen it really likes it

Got a Benq P50 smartphone and 1gig SD card yesterday

So far I am very impressed

Just like a Treo 650 but runs Windows Mobile

I like the fact that it has wifi built in - it comes with Skype so I can talk around the house using skype for PPC whilst it connects to my wireless router! No longer have to sit by the PC to talk - very cool!

Benq might not be a big name in phones but this P50 is great!

Cost was 25k at Fortune

Anyone use the Benq S700? My g/f likes the look and functions, and I can get a second hand one cheap :o

• 2 weeks later...

I want a cell phone (not a PDA phone) with the following functions:

* sensitive touch screen with 262 k colours minimum

* hands free speaker phone

* Bluetooth

* Blackberry

* Wi-fi, with Skype (upgradable with new versions or new VoIP software as it becomes available)

* still and video camera with digital zoom (2 megapixels minimum)

* MP3 Pro audio player

* FM stereo radio

* DVD player

* browser

* E-mail client that can be synchronised with my desktop or laptop

* integrated GPS, with possibility to upload new map software as I move to a new geography

* digital satellite receiver (DVB/DSTV compatible) for watching Sat TV on the screen - this one, OPTIONAL, because I should not be too demanding... right?

Does such a phone exist or am I just dreaming?

(and, NO, I do not need built-in microwave oven or dishwasher, just in case some sarcastic folks may "suggest"...)

* Bluetooth

* Blackberry

* Wi-fi, with Skype (upgradable with new versions or new VoIP software as it becomes available)

* MP3 Pro audio player

* FM stereo radio

* DVD player

* browser

* integrated GPS, with possibility to upload new map software as I move to a new geography

* digital satellite receiver (DVB/DSTV compatible) for watching Sat TV on the screen - this one, OPTIONAL,  because I should not be too demanding... right?

(and, NO, I do not need built-in microwave oven or dishwasher, just in case some sarcastic folks may "suggest"...)

Keep dreaming buddy!!!!

* Bluetooth

* Blackberry

* MP3 Pro audio player

* FM stereo radio

* DVD player

* browser

* digital satellite receiver (DVB/DSTV compatible) for watching Sat TV on the screen - this one, OPTIONAL,  because I should not be too demanding... right?

All of them available but not in a Mobile phone, but in a Laptop. May be in 2-3 years possible to have all these in a mobile. But what about your privacy and life ?. :o

Life is not only using advanced technologies, you need some human touch as well. Though my job is full time sitting on a computer and programming, i never check my e-mails after 6 PM and during weekends. :D

* Bluetooth

* Blackberry

* MP3 Pro audio player

* FM stereo radio

* DVD player

* browser

You forgot an important feature: the laser-guided missile launcher, now standard on all mobile communicators supplied to GIs bound to IRAK. If you can't find it here, just ask someone over there to get it for you from MBK ( = Mid-town Bagdad Kasbah...)